The Student Room Group

Which of these are soft subjects for A Levels ?

I plan to take English Lit, Psychology, History and Drama. I really want to get into drama school but if I fail, my backup plan is Law. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kash968
I plan to take English Lit, Psychology, History and Drama. I really want to get into drama school but if I fail, my backup plan is Law. :smile:

Drama and psychology are soft subjects.

your choices are perfect for drama school. For law, I would perhaps say that another facilitating subject would be useful, for example a science maybe. English lit and history are solid choices for both. I would also say that Law should not be a 'backup plan' for anyone,It's competitive and demanding.
Reply 2
I would recommend a different subject than psychology if you want to be able to get into law... You have made good choices for drama school though :smile:
Reply 3
I'm bad at Science subjects :frown: What about replacing Psychology with Ancient History ? :smile:
Reply 4
or Art History?
Reply 5
drama is a really good soft subject i did 4 years of drama in my school before my o/l was gonna do it my my school didnt allow it too bad. but personally drama is the softest it gets n law as backup really good
Reply 6
Check universities which offer law courses. See what subjects they want, and see if they'll be happy to accept what you're planning to offer. If in doubt, email the admissions team.

It's really the only way to fully know!
I would say drama is a soft subject. Its fine if you want to get into drama school, but for other things, there are better subjects you could take.
Reply 8
wouldn't do psychology as well if you are doing drama... consider philosophy (RS). Very good for law, a traditional subject.
Reply 9
But would Ancient History/History of Art be a good replacement for Psychology? If so, which one is better? :biggrin:
Reply 10
well both history subjects depend on what unis require :smile:
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 Trinity College, Cambridge with their blacklist
Original post by kash968

English Literature and History are definitely not soft subjects, they are both very well respected. Some people claim that psychology is soft, this is probably because it is not a traditional subject, however from my experiences of studying the subject I would definitely not classify it as soft! (I really recommend psychology, it was so interesting) I am unsure about Drama because on the one hand it is not very academic, but on the other hand a good grade in the subject would show you are a confident speaker and good at working with others. Also, it is almost essential if you want to go to Drama school! However, it would probably be considered as one of the softer A Levels by some of the top universities if you were applying for Law.
I do Geography , Economics and Applied Business studies at AS Level what do you think of my Courses , are any of these subject's soft ?
Reply 14
The problem I have found with Drama is it is considered to be a soft subject yet requires infinitely more work than any of my other, traditional subjects. So be prepared to give up a lot of time and not be taken very seriously, especially if you might study Law. On the other hand, it's great prep for the work you'll have to do at drama school.
Original post by kash968

I would suggest replacing Psychology with something else.

Something from the Sciences would have been a good mix, but if not that, maybe: Religious Studies, Philosophy or even better - a Language.

You could do Ancient History if you want, but I was thinking you could mix it up a little, seeing as you already have History as one of your choices.

Good luck :smile:
There are no 'soft subjects'

I find Physics A level a breeze, I find Psychology the hardest thing I've ever done in my whole entire life. Dropped AS Psychology a loooong time ago v.v
Have a look at the Russell Group Informed Choices booklet http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf - this is the low-down from the country's best universities on what subjects they want (and don't want) to see at A Level.

Honestly though, there's no point in doing science if you're no good at it, especially as you want to do essay-based subjects. You'll be absolutely fine with your current subject choices, especially if you make sure you keep on English & History to A2. FWIW I got into 6 Russell Group and 1994 Group universities (i.e. all those I applied to) with Psychology, Politics and Geography A Levels.

If you are really obsessed with 'soft' subjects, then you could consider swapping to something like geography, but I really don't think it's necessary.
Drama and psychology are soft

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do subjects that will get you A's
Majority of Universities are looking for A-B grades for Law so if you think you can get As in Psychology and Drama. No point doing science subjects that you find difficult and may not get you top grades. Unless you're looking towards Oxbridge don't worry too much about what's 'soft' according to some other students

Quick Reply

Latest