The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Looking for one bed flat

After having a very bad experience being kept up all night every night when sharing a flat with randoms, and not wanting to live with my friends (their kitchen is always a dump), I am looking for a one bed flat for 2013/2014.

I have seen I can get such a place at Aston Brook Green and Londonderry house. I'd like to go to Masshouse, but I have been told you need to secure a place from the summer and I cannot bring myself to throw money down the drain.

Does anyone have experience with ABG or Londonderry? I'd hate to be put next to a noisey flat and be kept awake all the time.

I think the New Build development on Aston (completed 2 years ago now) was good as the walls were really thick. I always could tell that the flat above me was a nightmare as there was music and screaming going on a lot, but I could only hear faint sounds of them.
Reply 1
Hey I know just how you fee! I am a ex aston student, I stayed at the Heights in my first year in shared accommodation and absolutely hated it. All my flat mates went to BCU and all the time had parties and were drunk 24/7. I seriously hated it, I managed to upgrade to a Studio at the heights and found this a lot better as I had my own kitchen and my own space. It was a bit quieter but of course you'll get some noise from next door. I now work in Birmingham and can recommend a few places how much are you looking to spend? Mass house is great I'm thinking about moving there next year. You could also try studio 51 near the heights I heard that is quieter as its all post graduates?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by inspireyou
Hey I know just how you fee! I am a ex aston student, I stayed at the Heights in my first year in shared accommodation and absolutely hated it. All my flat mates went to BCU and all the time had parties and were drunk 24/7. I seriously hated it, I managed to upgrade to a Studio at the heights and found this a lot better as I had my own kitchen and my own space. It was a bit quieter but of course you'll get some noise from next door. I now work in Birmingham and can recommend a few places how much are you looking to spend? Mass house is great I'm thinking about moving there next year. You could also try studio 51 near the heights I heard that is quieter as its all post graduates?

Hey thanks for the help. I can generally afford most places if it is good value for money, but I'd say my limit is £200 per week/ £600 a month excluding bills. I would just go to Mass house but I have been told that you need to secure a place from mid-summer or run the risk of not getting a place in the autumn and cannot bring myself to throw so much money away.
Reply 3
Original post by cornblatch
Hey thanks for the help. I can generally afford most places if it is good value for money, but I'd say my limit is £200 per week/ £600 a month excluding bills. I would just go to Mass house but I have been told that you need to secure a place from mid-summer or run the risk of not getting a place in the autumn and cannot bring myself to throw so much money away.

That is correct Mass House properties are already on the market for April/June. I'd personally either check out Studio 51 or go to Mass House..your choice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by inspireyou
That is correct Mass House properties are already on the market for April/June. I'd personally either check out Studio 51 or go to Mass House..your choice :smile:

Thanks again.

I have just seen a new development with Studio flats has been built by the same people as Studio 51, it is called the Penworks.

Have you heard any good or bad things about Studio 51?
Reply 5
Hi

I have a house for mature students/graduates, which is only 10mins walk away from Londonderry house.

Its my own house, so I really want whoever to move in to treat it as their own and keep it quiet, so I won’t get any complaints from my neighbours.
There is one male engineering grad living there who is working and there will be a 3rd year BCU who will be moving in July after finishing her course. The rent is only £62 for a double room, or £57 for double room with the boiler in it. The boiler just make a humming sound when the hot water/central heating is turned on. You won’t really notice it. The house is fully furnished and the rent includes water, communal TV licence and wifi internet. The gas and electric is split between whoever is living there. At the moment, the guy who living there has just received his bill for £170 for the quater which works out to be something ridiculously cheap like £170/90days= £1.80 per day.

The house has only been renovated with new bathroom and kitchen 2 years ago. Next month, I will have decorators coming in to repaint the house etc... There are 2 toilets, full working kitchen with everything you would expect in a kitchen, front and back garden, bath, shower. Behind the house is a park and doctors. Just down the road is the shopping centre, with Aldi/farmfoods/ post office/ Greggs etc.. Here you will be able to get all sort of buses going to the city centre. It only 3-5mins minimum bus fair to Aston uni and city centre, so you dont pay the full price. Or if you decide to walk it, it will only take you 15-20mins to get to Aston uni.
In addition, you are just outside of the Bham Ring road, so there are no restrictions during the day and plenty of car parking space. The police station is just around the corner, so there are always police cars going past and policeman walking around. As it’s normally families and young professional living in the area, we always somebody walking around the house no matter what day it is. Just 10mins from the house you is where all the all night fish and chips/ kebab shops / pizza /Chinese take away and mini supermarkets for you to buy all cheap food from / call for a free delivery take away.

I have tried to give as much info as possible and I hope it is what you are looking for. If you are interested in viewing please call me on 07538700625 for a viewing. If Im not available to show you around, I will ask my neighbour to. So please let me know when your free.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kindest regards

Stephany

Quick Reply