The Student Room Group

WJEC biology BY4 11/01/2013

Hey! Anyone else doing this exam??? It would be cool to hear from you. Does anyone have any idea about the possible questions that might appear also? I HATE BIOLOGY.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah am ding it now :P not TOO bad
Reply 2
Original post by jones107
yeah am ding it now :P not TOO bad

Right now...?
Reply 3
doing the course so yeah?
Reply 4
i will be taing it in summer, but if you want to know aht type of uestions tre are past papers are youre best bet
Reply 5
Yeah currently struggling with memorising all the populations stuff and bits of the kidney and nervous system.
Hi, I'm struggling with the nervous system as well, does anyone have any tips on how to memories it ? Oh and is anyone else doing it in welsh ?
Reply 7
Dreading this exam
Yep unfortunately, I really hate WJEC. What delights does everyone think they've got planned for us thia time?

Personally think the nitrogen cycle will come up. Fingers crossed for no freaky respiration questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Does anybody have the June 2012 paper and mark scheme please?!

I am dreading this exam!!

Hopefully there will be little on control systems as I suck at that..selective reabsorption..not my strong point :frown:
I have a feeling they may ask the 10 mark question on the production of penicllin eugh!

With nervous system just make sure you remember the structure of a motor neurone, the structure of a synapse and briefly be able to describe resting and action potential :smile: Also I'd memorise the spinal chord diagram only because they've only ever asked one question in the past papers on it.
Reply 10
I'm hoping for a 10 marker on either growth curve, respiration, bio & chem control or batch fermenter. What about you guys, what you hoping for?? The last paper was an absolute machine with horrible topics so this one surely won't be the same material...
Reply 11
Original post by MrBean1994
I'm hoping for a 10 marker on either growth curve, respiration, bio & chem control or batch fermenter. What about you guys, what you hoping for?? The last paper was an absolute machine with horrible topics so this one surely won't be the same material...

I was thinking the same thing about summer 2012! I did it earlier this evening and found it super hard! The questions on the paper were a lot different to those on the other past papers! Not happy :frown:

So yeah hopefully this one may be more straight forward! Like I said above I think they will have one on the production of penicillin! I'd love one on the ads and disads of chemical and biological control! easy 10 marks! I wouldn't mind one on the structure and role of the synpase neither

Fingers crossed!!
Reply 12

Definitely adv/disadv of biological and chemical control would be a godsend! :crossedf: Hopefully nothing too difficult on the kidney...can't seem to get my head around that, or alternative respiratory substrates!! :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by kathryn25t
Definitely adv/disadv of biological and chemical control would be a godsend! :crossedf: Hopefully nothing too difficult on the kidney...can't seem to get my head around that, or alternative respiratory substrates!! :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Haha ummm remind me of respiratory substrates again...? Let's ask people questions on here. Name 3 functions of synapses :smile:
Hey everyone,
Hope you don't mind me joining in! I'm another student who is stressing but I think I know what's needed hopefully!
3 functions... Ensures uni-directional flow, Prevents overstimulation, Filters out low level stimuli and transmits impulses between neurones.
Yes, June 2012. What a killer of a paper, it was horrible when I did it the other day. The question on the grafting of plants involving florigen was horrible, I didn't know what it was before I did that question!!
Reply 15
Original post by piers.townsend
Hey everyone,
Hope you don't mind me joining in! I'm another student who is stressing but I think I know what's needed hopefully!
3 functions... Ensures uni-directional flow, Prevents overstimulation, Filters out low level stimuli and transmits impulses between neurones.
Yes, June 2012. What a killer of a paper, it was horrible when I did it the other day. The question on the grafting of plants involving florigen was horrible, I didn't know what it was before I did that question!!

Welcome :smile: no worries. Yeah good, your turn to ask a question. Ergh it's horrible.
Just saw that you mentioned about respiratory substrates!
Lipids breakdown into glycerol and fatty acids.
Glycerol enters the respiratory cycle as triose phosphate, Fatty acids enter as Acetyl CoA.
Proteins are broken down when staving and can enter as various things.
I am pretty much okay with the whole syllabus, there is just a couple of things I worry about, because WJEC always seem to find away to ask a stupid question on maybe a sentence in the study guide. Does my nut in!
Where all you guys from?
Reply 17
Can I join? HB4 but what we cover is mostly similar
Reply 18
Original post by lilGem
Can I join? HB4 but what we cover is mostly similar

Of course! Let's get some questions going.
Reply 19
Of course! Let's get some questions going.

Awesome, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest