The Student Room Group

How stressful is uni??

Alevels are just so stressful
Reply 1
very
First year = fine.
Final year = insane.
It depends on what course you are doing really.
Reply 4
you adapt, learn how to cope with pressure and stress, so you can face almost anything after you graduate.
What you consider hard while doing A-levels, is actually not hard, you step up your 'game' and work more efficiently. I've gone back to do AS and A level Chemistry in one year to get onto my medical course next year. Not going to lie I'm a bit nervous as there is stuff I don't actually know right now, but I know in 2 weeks ill be ready (hopefully). :smile:
Reply 5
Depends on the University, the degree and the student.

Some Universities offer more work than others, whilst some degrees are a siege of work (i.e. Law, which I know from a personal experience).
And then the student. If your industrious and work hard, then you will be stressed all year round (however you usually get consistently decent grades) and you've got a breeze coming to revision.

However, if your a student who is laidback, then obviously you'll enjoy University a lot more. Just you'll have a rubbish few weeks before exams, when attempting to revise (and unless your one of the rare few i.e. innately-talented, then you may not be as consistent).

I personally think its more to do with how independent & self-disciplined the person in question is, than anything else. Most of the time, it's independent study and it's not spoon-fed to you anymore (may be a bit different for other degrees/Universities).
Depends how well you prepare for assignments and exams. If you keep on top of things, do the reading the week of the lecture and collect extra notes for essays as you go along, then things a lot less stressful than they would be if you didn't.
Wrong time of the year to ask this question!

But to sum up:

Final Year = Hell
Reply 8
A levels in my experience weren't anywhere near as stressful as University was. However, it was good stress for my time there. I competitively aimed to get a First and did so, but that all the more gave me reason to achieve and do well there. Nothing but my absolute best the entire time was acceptable, and I knew I would only achieve that through rigorous, diligent work.

It does depend on what course you do to quite an extent. The main problem I found with other students (particularly the less mature ones) was their distinct lack of organisation (or any for that matter), leaving deadlines to the last minute and not taking it seriously. These people were distinctly average at best, or utter failures at worst.
Furthermore, if you treat it as one big party for a few years, expecting to get good grades to show for it and a good job for minimal effort afterwards, then expect to be disappointed. I did still make time for quite a few social activities, including my passion for climbing, but I ensured that my work came first (in both respects of my degree and the 2 jobs I was holding down).

Wait until you enter the real working world and especially if you elect to go for certain fulfilling, if not with a high degree of responsibility, occupations. Until then, with respect you haven't any idea what stress is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending