The Student Room Group

People think I'm Posh & Rich, but I'm not..

Hi,

I'm a 2nd-year at Birmingham University and basically my friends, girls and everyone who I meet think I'm rich and posh when I'm not. My circle of friends are quite affluent/middle-class and not to be big-headed or anything but the girls I've pulled in clubs or had a fling with have all been from top grammar or private schools. Whilst I attended a crappy state school where only 20% of pupils passed with 5A*-C GCSES inc Maths and English.

Though I do wear Jacks Wills and Abercrombie but that's only because I used to work for them stores hence free clothes/discount. I've kind of picked up my so called posh voice from work experience at a city law firm in the past and internships in private brokering..

I don't know what to do or how to explain it to them? I'm becoming confused if they only like me because they have the wrong stereotype of me?

Please help! Need some advice on what to do. My parents are quite poor, our annual household income is about £15k..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm a 2nd-year at Birmingham University and basically my friends, girls and everyone who I meet think I'm rich and posh when I'm not. My circle of friends are quite affluent/middle-class and not to be big-headed or anything but the girls I've pulled in clubs or had a fling with have all been from top grammar or private schools. Whilst I attended a crappy state school where only 20% of pupils passed with 5A*-C GCSES inc Maths and English.

Though I do wear Jacks Wills and Abercrombie but that's only because I used to work for them stores hence free clothes/discount. I've kind of picked up my so called posh voice from work experience at a city law firm in the past and internships in private brokering..

I don't know what to do or how to explain it to them? I'm becoming confused if they only like me because they have the wrong stereotype of me?

Please help! Need some advice on what to do. My parents are quite poor, our annual household income is about £15k..

Yawn...
Hi,

Define "rich & posh". If you pretend you're Zimbabwean you'll be rich if that makes you feel better. Otherwise grow a pair and live with it because it's hardly something to worry about
Hi,

You're at Birmingham University? Me too :smile: I'm in first year though.

You should be proud of coming across as posh yet coming from a poor background. People like being surprised :smile: But who cares what others think?

I can relate to you. For some reason I've acquired a really posh accent (probably to do with growing up in Oxford, or just me imitating upper class people on TV, probably because I want to be superior like them, because I'm a prat), but I'm from a lower-middle class background.

Funny thing is, I was in a flat with students who really were 'posh'. They all went to excellent schools, and as a veteran of a state comprehensive I felt incredibly intimidated by them, despite sharing a very similar accent...

It's annoying when something about you doesn't reflect who you are inside, but I think it makes you more interesting when there's more to you than what meets the eye...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

So your average household income is £15k and you are seeking advice on how to appear poorer at university?

What the **** is going on in the world?
first world problems

i don't see why you want to change the way people perceive you if that's how you come off - as long as it's not arrogance or pretentiousness that you exude then what's the problem

also i don't see how what university you attend has to do with anything in this post
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
heres one for you stop wearing your Jacks Wills and Abercrombie gear.

then people might stop casting judgement
Hi,

This could be me. I worked at Abercrombie too, but don't even wear the clothes (Prefer river island as most expensive option and is about a quarter the price). People still think I'm posh, and I think it's all in the way I use big words.

Guess then if you want to seem less posh, use smaller words and throw in a few colloquial terms such as 'innit' or 'blad'.

Personally, as a council estate kid, I chose to sound posh. Fake it till you make it brah old bean.
(edited 11 years ago)
I can imagine a trafficked sex slave would look like a posh/rich individual compared to anyone in Birmingham.
Reply 9
lol precious...

Seriously, ****'em if they don't like you for being who you are. There is no reason whatsoever why you should feel self-concious about your accent, your family, your values, etc...
I wouldn't even mention it because its inconsequential, however I understand that one can have feelings of inadequacy when in the presence of people one finds intimidating or cannot relate with (but then why are you friends with them?). I think its important for you to establish whether your accent and how you currently act are who YOU are or if its just a facade, a game if you will, that you put on in order to fit in. Once you come to terms with who you are I think you'll stop worrying about how others perceive you, besides its terribly unimportant whether or not they think you're rich or poor.
Hi,

Wow you are pathetic, next
First world problems. There are more important things in the world than what people's opinions of you are. If you're that worried people are getting the wrong idea of you, just wear a potato sack. That'll show them.
Reply 12
First world problems. There are more important things in the world than what people's opinions of you are. If you're that worried people are getting the wrong idea of you, just wear a potato sack. That'll show them.

Just don't make it a sack from Jack Wills or Abercrombie :tongue:
Why worry about it? As long as they don't expect you to flaunt money and do lavish expensive things!

Perhaps they just feel more comfortable with someone who isn't as common as ****

I expect you will posh educated find, I shall put this in a very PC way, that someone who is a typical poorly educated person of low socio-economic status (often known as chavs), very off putting, and just want to be with people who know how to act well, and they that perceive as intelligent and well educated.
Northerners often mistake speaking properly for speaking 'posh'...
Reply 15
Hi,

Talk to me when you're wearing real designer brands.

pfft
Hi,

Out of interest what private brokerage firm did you work for? Or did you mean a Private Bank or in Private Banking?
Oh, no no no :frown: Easier said than done, but please don't worry about what people think of you in this way. It drives you BANANAS and I know that because I've done it for years! Please don't get yourself worked up because of what people think/what you are. I know 'poor' people who look down on everyone they meet, 'rich' people who are lovely, 'middle class' people who are average in their personality... What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter what your family income is, it's what you're like as a person, and that's not necessarily tied into your background. Your dress sense doesn't matter either.

I attend a private school and from the moment I joined in Year 7, certain members of my family have taken plenty of opportunity to call me 'posh' and 'upper crust' and all sorts of things like that. Fact is, neither of my parents went to university, and both grew up on council estates (my dad actually went to what is known as one of the worst and roughest schools in my whole city). The money we've earnt is all our own. Nobody knows that when they meet me, they just hear my school's name and shove me into the 'posh and rich' category with everybody else!

It used to really work me up, but really, you shouldn't have to explain your background to people to correct their opinion. If they want to think that you're posh, let them go ahead and think that - only if you get to know a person well you might want to interject the truth, but even then, does it matter?

Being 'posh' and up yourself isn't related to money, either. Your true friends are the ones that value you for yourself, not how you dress, or how much your family earn, big or small.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Barden
Northerners often mistake speaking properly for speaking 'posh'...

This. This. This. Countless times people in the north have said that I speak posh (I was only born and raised here...) and I have a very Yorkshire accent, but I speak properly.

The guys also seem to think I'm gay, but none of the girls think so :cool:
Original post by tehforum
Talk to me when you're wearing real designer brands.

pfft

http://trololololololololololo.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending