The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately my little fish got rejected today. Cooked a great meal and put a Cobra beer in his hand, so so proud of him. Has 2 offers of 5 under his belt, still waiting to hear from Durham and York. He's the man and I hope he knows!!!!
Best of luck to the rest of u guys. Well done Minerva. Two more little fishes working their way up stream. Our paths may cross again.
I sure hope there is
Original post by medicdude
Is there any possibility that medics can get offers now without interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes there is, but extremely unlikely. I guess we could get an open offer but these are very rare - only around 5 given out per year.
Reply 4763
Original post by AParentOf2
I am very late to this wealth of information and accept that my youngster (a mature and affiliated applicant) is now very unlikely to get a direct offer at this very late stage (no re-interview offers after being placed in the pool).

As my youngster applied to a mature college that has only has one applicant fished every two years in the appropriate course, being fished is extremely unlikely, especially with no invitation to a re-interview.

Do Minerva or any of the other resident experts have facts or opinions about how things work for mature and affiliated applicants apart from the fact that they are considered in a separate pool?
They aren't considered in a separate pool as such, but the (slightly more) relaxed pooling criteria recognise that mature applicants do not fit standard profiles, and that there are specific colleges that only take mature students - this does not mean that a mature student cannot be accepted at a college that takes the under 21s too!

Are they flattered by being put into the pool more frequently than "normal" applicants? Are they officially culled later than regular applicants?
See above.

What is the general lag between pooled applicants from other colleges being made direct offers and applicants being placed in the pool by the same college receiving their rejections?
Not sure I quite understand your question here. Colleges fishing people out of the Pool to make direct offers will have made the decision to do so by the end of the Pool - ie by the end of Friday last week - but vary in how they communicate this outcome. Hence it is still possible - if, perhaps, increasingly unlikely, that a direct offer will be made to some individuals. The last date Cambridge itself quotes for this to happen is 14 January, which is a couple of days yet :smile:.

The TSR cohort seem to represent a 10% sample size of the Winter Pool. If that is correct, all of the direct offers that will be made have already been made.
Yes, in general terms that's right. However, there is one unusual feature this year. This is that we have far fewer invitations to re-interview having been reported than we would have expected by the 340 or so people who have posted about their Pool status. In previous years the TSR interview invitation rate has run pretty much as would have been expected by reference to the previous year's overall figures published by Cambridge in the Winter Pool document. I can't tell whether this is explained by random variation, or by the TSR cohort this year being different from the overall cohort, or indeed whether Cambridge has tightened up its policy around inviting people back for interview (ie, only when really, really necessary). I do get the slight sense from this year's guidance to Tutors that this might have happened. If the numbers of interviews are down, it just might be that there are more people than usual being kept on the 'maybe' lists, about whom a final decision might not be made until early next week. As I say, though, this is all speculation. I have no concrete evidence to support it :smile:

So we wait on, and see.

My offspring has 4 other very good (but not as good as Cambridge) unconditional offers but we would really like some closure.
Of course you would.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Silverland
Anyone in favour for a tsr 2013 Poolies user group? I would hate for us all to forget the journey we've been through together and it'd be good to show that after all this we've still been successful.

Sounds like a great idea to me
Really sorry guys to here about all the rejections. wishing you all the best ..........
Now that the dust has settled on my rejection, I shall allow Bender to express my feelings for me:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25330176.jpg
Original post by ss06
Yes there is, but extremely unlikely. I guess we could get an open offer but these are very rare - only around 5 given out per year.

I was under the impression that they were given to applicants who had a te interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4768
Not necessarily

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I was under the impression that they were given to applicants who had a te interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at last year's report - two open offers were given out. One of these was direct and one was after interview.
Original post by ss06
Look at last year's report - two open offers were given out. One of these was direct and one was after interview.

The were both after interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The were both after interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Untitled.jpg
Reply 4772
Anyone still not heard? Glad to see most people being positive about the future :smile: I am sure everyone in this thread will go on to be very successful!
I am still waiting... Magdalene, HSPS
Reply 4774
Drowned by Sidney for Linguistics. Oh well it was a good swim.
The admission officer emailed me a copy of the letter, so Sidney people hang in there you should find out soon!

And fingers crossed for those who are still swimming, don't give your hopes up just yet :smile:

rejects: shall we set up an underground society to show Cambridge how wrong they were :P ?
Do I have anything to lose by e-mailing for feedback now? I don't see why not and every tale needs an epilogue
Original post by cchloee

rejects: shall we set up an underground society to show Cambridge how wrong they were :P ?

+1 :colone:
Just drowned- pooled by Emmanuel for English lit.

Not quite sure how I feel right now. At first I was devastated, but I'm feeling oddly free at the mintue... I have 2 offers from UEA, one from Exeter, waiting for Bristol...And if I get really good grades, who knows, maybe I'll reapply. But after all this time waiting and keeping my life on pause, I think that letter has meant that I could finally press play again...

Thanks for all the support and advice- keep up the fab work Minerva!!

xxx
Reply 4777
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
This whole process is so so frustrating, had a reinterview and now I'm looking at another week of waiting smack bang in the middle of exams... I guess I'm just really impatient but.... I just want an offer!

Be patient! :tongue:
I had my interview the same day as you, which college were you fished by again?
I'm concentrating on my exams now, starting with physics on Wednesday. I think that exam is gonna creep up on me way too quickly so I'm hoping a final decision (though by this point it doesn't feel like a final decision is even possible!) will do the same.
Reply 4778
Original post by Stray
Because they don't really want you to take a gap year for Maths. You need to keep progressing on a steep trajectory. But, more-so because they are looking for raw potential.

Normally the 1,1 offer accompanies having to do 3 or 4 A-levels at the same time. With more time to prepare for STEP, you need to score higher to demonstrate that you have the same potential as a student who is sitting it in Year 13.

But if you were to get S,1 or something they'd probs just take you through the summer pool, right?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4779
Original post by Silverland
Do I have anything to lose by e-mailing for feedback now? I don't see why not and every tale needs an epilogue

+1 :colone:

You can get feedback through your referee at the end of January.

Latest

Trending

Trending