The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
Colleges do pool people who are 'good enough'. The issue is assessing relative strength of applications, which is one of the things the Pool is supposed to facilitate.

I agree we are talking small numbers overall; historically TSR has had two or three cases a year that are likely to have been in this group; if TSR is typical of the overall cohort and presents 10% of same, then that is perhaps 30 or so across the fishing colleges - though we don't know which and for what subjects. Until we have the final figures all round, we can't tell if the TSR cohort this year is similar to the overall Cambridge cohort, as it has been in previous years. As I've said above, there are some indications that this year's cohort may not be typical. As the re-interview numbers are right down, it could - just possibly- mean that a few more direct offers are in the pipeline than would usually be the case at this stage, assuming that the offer rate overall for pooled applicants in previous years applies this year, and to the TSR cohort just as the Cambridge cohort.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying - it ain't over till it's over. Some people can be expected to get offers over the next few days but we can't say for which subjects or from which colleges, or how many there will be.

As per your previous emails the pooling decisions, rejections, offers and interview were made last Friday. The university also states that if you have not received an offer before the interviews start then the chances are very slim.

we need honesty on this system and not to build up peoples hopes that there may be an offer when realistically as per the unversity the chances are slim.

unless you are waiting for interview or feedback from an interview then it s virtually over especially the domestic applicants.

I have seen lots of peoples hopes built up on this thread resulting in.lots of comments and clicks and I would prefer brutal honesty so I know where I stand in order to move on.

the last thing we need is for our hopes to be built up when the odds are slim....... this would be cruel. may be good for ths business but still cruel.
Reply 4821
Original post by Question Mark
As per your previous emails the pooling decisions, rejections, offers and interview were made last Friday. The university also states that if you have not received an offer before the interviews start then the chances are very slim.

we need honesty on this system and not to build up peoples hopes that there may be an offer when realistically as per the unversity the chances are slim.

unless you are waiting for interview or feedback from an interview then it s virtually over especially the domestic applicants.

I have seen lots of peoples hopes built up on this thread resulting in.lots of comments and clicks and I would prefer brutal honesty so I know where I stand in order to move on.

the last thing we need is for our hopes to be built up when the odds are slim....... this would be cruel. may be good for ths business but still cruel.
You clearly have a particular view, which I understand and acknowledge, but it is not true to say that there will be no more direct offers.

What I have posted tonight is not inconsistent with what was said last week. As at a week ago, decisions about direct offers to be made by fishing colleges, invitations to re-interview, and which (if any) candidates were to be 'held' in the B category by fishing colleges had been made. It was also the case that the files of people not fished would be returned to their preference colleges on 9 January, which is when the rejections started coming through from all colleges, not just King's. However, it remains possible for the preference college to keep a very small number of their applicants on the pending list while waiting for the outcome of interviews, while they may or may not have fished a B applicant.

A 'slim' chance does not mean 'no' chance, and it is unfair to imply that it does. It may not be you that benefits from that slim chance, but somebody will, and it could be that we'll hear about it on TSR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4822
Original post by Allahu Akbar
Minerva, do you have any idea when post interview poolees receive their result? I had my interview yesterday so just wondering how much longer I will have to wait. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not Minerva I know but just on the last page it was said that it's very likely decisions will be made on Monday and letters sent Tuesday as looking at last years thread the first day to hear was Wednesday. Some colleges may choose to phone instead which may mean to hear a bit earlier but probably no earlier than Tuesday
Original post by _Georgie
I'm not Minerva I know but just on the last page it was said that it's very likely decisions will be made on Monday and letters sent Tuesday as looking at last years thread the first day to hear was Wednesday. Some colleges may choose to phone instead which may mean to hear a bit earlier but probably no earlier than Tuesday

Thanks, that all makes sense :smile: Sorry, it's probably been asked hundreds of times already on this thread but I had a quick look and couldn't find any answers. Too tired to trawl through...
Are you waiting to hear back as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minerva
You clearly have a particular view, which I understand and acknowledge, but it is not true to say that there will be no more direct offers.

What I have posted tonight is not inconsistent with what was said last week. As at a week ago, decisions about direct offers to be made by fishing colleges, invitations to re-interview, and which (if any) candidates were to be 'held' in the B category by fishing colleges had been made. It was also the case that the files of people not fished would be returned to their preference colleges on 9 January, which is when the rejections started coming through from all colleges, not just King's. However, it remains possible for the preference college to keep a very small number of their applicants on the pending list while waiting for the outcome of interviews, while they may or may not have fished a B applicant.

A 'slim' chance does not mean 'no' chance, and it is unfair to imply that it does. It may not be you that benefits from that slim chance, but somebody will, and it could be that we'll hear about it on TSR.

if offers come they will be from the interview process running now or delayed communications from colleges on decisions made ladt weekend.

international students may be those that are impacted most by the delayed communications.

to build unrealistic hopes is not honest but good for business.
Reply 4825
Right, I got my rejection letter today.. how do I ask for feedback and when does it come?

Thanks in advance
@Minerva

I am an international fish who applied Land economy for Clare college, but I still didn't receive any result up to now.
I learnt that decision is already made last week and Clare college would send email back to applicant to inform the rejection or give out the direct offer.
Therefore, I wonder why I am still in this status? if there are still any other fish from Clare still remained in the pool?
Original post by Shirleybear
@Minerva

I am an international fish who applied Land economy for Clare college, but I still didn't receive any result up to now.
I learnt that decision is already made last week and Clare college would send email back to applicant to inform the rejection or give out the direct offer.
Therefore, I wonder why I am still in this status? if there are still any other fish from Clare still remained in the pool?

I am so anxious right now especially when knowing many ox students got admitted in our school. Please let me know whether I still get chance or not?
Original post by Minerva
but these applicants are the ones with strong applications who did not need reassessment. I'm not saying it happens often, but my experience in this thread over a number of years now suggests that it does occasionally.

No, would not be re-interviewed.

Indeed it does, but the absolute deadline for decisions isn't for a while yet.

I am emphasising the small numbers involved and relative rarity of this, but to say it doesn't happen at all would be as wrong as it would be to give the impression that each college has dozens of such cases. In practice it's a small number across the entire university, and those cases will be found in the fishing colleges, given that the colleges that aren't fishing have already filled their spaces.

Are B status people those who still haven't heard anything or is it more likely those of us still waiting are rejected?
Original post by Shirleybear
@Minerva

I'm an international applicant too! I wouldn't have heard anything either had I not called Downing and requested to have the decision letter emailed to me.. Not all colleges email, and post instead. I haven't even received the post yet (it can take weeks to send it over to where i am!). I called them because I knew decisions were out on the 4th and I wanted to know already :tongue: so you can email or call them explaining that you haven't found out yet and you want an email or something.
Reply 4830
For many A Level students, and even more for many parents, Oxbridge is the pinnacle of their academic aspirations, the sine qua non of a university education and a recognised path to fame and fortune. But Oxbridge is certainly not for everyone (even some of the brightest) and it certainly won’t guarantee riches, or even a job.

this made me feel better :P
Any medics who have received offers or rejection yet?
Reply 4832
I am a medic and I haven't received anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicdude
Aren't you the guy who posted saying you had just been notified of being given 3 interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think you may have misread , I said that in the last 24 hours I have received interview invitations at the 3 other uni's I applied to . In terms of Cambridge I'm still waiting :smile:
Waiting for almost a week now... woo
Reply 4835
Original post by Achilleasrn
Waiting for almost a week now... woo

Same :frown:
Original post by JimJohnnyJones
Think you may have misread , I said that in the last 24 hours I have received interview invitations at the 3 other uni's I applied to . In terms of Cambridge I'm still waiting :smile:

Ah sorry I assumed they were all from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4837
FINALLY!!! Got my rejection letter in the post this morning, I must say, I never thought I'd be so glad to see it. DURHAM HERE I COME :biggrin:
(this was from Magdalene)
Thank you so much everyone for this whole thread, especially Minerva :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Direct Hughes Hall offer received for my child. Much disappointment about no re-interview. Much joy about the offer. Letter dated yesterday and received to-day.

To put this into context, she was put into the Winter Pool by a College with a very similar ranking in the Tompkins Table which means that applying to a lower "ranked" college does not preclude one from being made an offer by another College in the Winter Pool even though the odds might be lower.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AParentOf2
Direct Hughes Hall offer received for my child. Much disappointment about no re-interview. Much joy about the offer. Letter dated yesterday and received to-day.

Congrats! It seems however that only mature colleges send out offers this late, much to the dismay of us non-mature poolies :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending