The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull in general

Obviously Hull has a pretty bad reputation, but theres not alot of info to go on . Whats it like as a place to live as a student? I know decisions for uni shouldn't be made on this alone, but i don't wanna be in a place for 3 years if i don't like it, and id definetly like somewhere where i can have a decent night out! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gemma_Pascoe
Obviously Hull has a pretty bad reputation, but theres not alot of info to go on . Whats it like as a place to live as a student? I know decisions for uni shouldn't be made on this alone, but i don't wanna be in a place for 3 years if i don't like it, and id definetly like somewhere where i can have a decent night out! :smile:

Hi Hunny,

I am a mother of an 18 year old who has lived in Hull all her life. I have an offer to study Biology in Sep, but Im waiting on my other choices ( Leeds, Liverpool, York and Manchester) because if any of these offer me, Id rather go elsewhere lol. My understanding is Hull's student union is one of the best, if not THE best in the country ( check out unistats on student unions), they are always running balls, and student nites and the like. There is a super cheap pub on campus, and student nites at the Asylum niteclub every day of the week I think. Most students head to Haworth and Gardener's pub ( cheap drinks) and Newland avenue loads of cafe bars and the like. Also on Newland ave is a niteclube called Piper, again super cheap drinks and a good nite on a friday ( indie tunes) sat is like an 80s music nite. Newland ave is a student area, all the streets off it are student houses, and its about 5 mins walk from uni itself. At the top of Newland ave is Princes ave, again all streets off it are student houses really, cafe bars ect... most people seem to like a nite drinking down there and continue to newland ave like a pub crawl. Town centre for nites out is divided into " new town" ( avoid, full of chavs and most pubs are closed down)....and " old town" lots of pubs all just a cpl of mins distances from each other ( this is were most of hull's residents go for a nite out). Hull is a cheap place to live, eat out ect. For eg, i went to a gig in Manchester and nearly died of shock at going to a takeaway and paying £7.30 for a margarita pizza, they cost around £3.50 here! There are big council estates in north Hull, East Hull but you would never see these places unless you ventured to them for some reason, they aint anywhere near uni. Any other info u want, give me a holler :-)
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Decent football team and that's all you need to know about Hull.
Ignore the reputation, those who tell you it's a bad city are usually those who have never lived or even been there.

There are at least 5 main clubs which offer different atmospheres, plus plenty of bars and pubs in the centre, so you can have a decent night out. The shopping, along with the city itself, has improved considerably in the last few years, and there are four cinemas in Hull, an ice arena and two theatres. It really boils down to what you're looking for. Hull isn't a huge city, and if you're coming from somewhere as big as London you'll be surprised at how quickly you can walk from one side of the city centre to the other :P You're best bet is to visit it (if you haven't already) so you can get a feel for it.
I've been quite abit recently to visit mates and to watch rugby It's actually a really nice city the area around Old Town and The Marina are stunning and if you like old fashioned boozers there's some absolute gems in Old Town, bloody good night out too.
Reply 5
Hull University has won the best student union of the year by NUS. It is honestly fantastic, I'm from just outside London and I love Hull.
There are some awful areas admittedly, but, you NEVER have to go them as a student. The avenues area (about a 10 minute walk from the university) has some amazing bars - like PAVE where you can get amazing imported beers and ciders if that's your thing!
To be perfectly honest, if I wasn't a student, I wouldn't like to live in Hull, but, it's a good place to be a student. Cheap and cheerful!
In terms of Nightlife - it's pretty good. In town you have standard night clubs that play ranges of music - Pozition, Sugar and Tokyo are pretty standard. Cheap drinks, play a wide range of music that's popular including cheesy 90's/80's and indie! Pozition also does a rock night every month (I think).
There's a gay club called Fuel which is pretty fun! It's also open till six.
You also have Spiders which is a rock/metal club on saturdays and even if you don't like the music - you'll still have a good time!

Around the main student housing area you have a choice of clubs. Piper is good and does different nights - monday nights are a mix of all music and you've also got weekly indie and 80's nights.
[W]elly is my favourite place but you either love it or hate it! Mainly Indie and rock music but holds a drum and base/dubstep night each month as well as a metal night (mainly) called Wolfpack once a month. In Freshers week they normally give you wristbands which give you free entry on a thursday and saturday for a month!
Fusion is a pretty standard place and you've got numerous bars around the area as well as decent pubs that are reasonably priced.

The only way to really get a feel for Hull is to come and visit. Like I've said, I love it there.
Reply 6
Been there twice it's crap, only been for football and so glad I got to go home.
Reply 7
Original post by Keynesian
Been there twice it's crap, only been for football and so glad I got to go home.

The people that thumbs me down are obviously from Hull
:sleep:
You cant judge a place just by watching some football there. I myself went to watch Reading play in Cambridge twice and that looked a complete **** hole from the the limited part of Cambridge I saw.
Reply 9
Original post by Charliemouse
You cant judge a place just by watching some football there. I myself went to watch Reading play in Cambridge twice and that looked a complete **** hole from the the limited part of Cambridge I saw.

I don't deny that but we all know where we would rather live if we have to choose between the two.
I'm in my first year at uni here and I really like it :smile:
The rough areas like Bransholme are on the other side of the city and I've never needed to go anywhere near there.
The shopping and night life is pretty damn good (better than Cambridge, where I'm from) :smile:

Cottingham, the village where most of the halls are is a nice area. There are plenty of shops in the village centre and they have nice Christmas lights!
It's good enough for me to want to stay there even though I've had to take a year out due to being a stupid **** and not taking the course seriously enough.

It has everything you could want from a town and everything is within reasonable walking distance of the uni/the main housing. Hence why I'll probably be living here for the better part of four years. Just have a little sense to avoid the rough areas (which are nowhere near uni) and you'll be fine.

Nightlife is pretty good - Spiders being among the best if you like rock/metal/retro tunes (multiple floors) but to be honest I'm beginning to grow out of it a little. It's still awesome though.
It's a nice city, cheap and very student friendly, the area around uni is full of students and I always feel safe, the weather is cold but not that wet, but it's a very nice place to live, lots of cheap clubs and bars. Good cheap cinema, decent bus service's, but the main thing is that the uni is lovely, as it is a proper red-brick one, so combined with the great long standing uni and the cheap price of everything, I would say hull is a great place for any students
decent nights out and tbh the best thing by far is that its so cheap! :P you just get more simple as
Reply 14
It is a nice city but the only problem is there is no jobs....at all.

I live in Hull and one of the main reasons i'm going to uni is to get out of Hull, it is a dead end place for young people. Certainly no hope for youngsters/students and nothing is done about it. It is the worst place for unemployment in the UK, so be warned.

However, it has improved allot over the years with the places perhaps 5 years you wouldn't want to go to e.g. Orchard Park, Bransholme estates are much nicer now and calmer, there isn't much crime in Hull but you will see allot of closed shops, borded up houses and stuff because the recession just hit the city amazingly bad and most of the regeneration work just came to a standstill. There is signs of improvement with some companies such as Siemens investing in the city, with abit of hard work and investment the city will improve again and jobs will be created meaning more business' will buy into the city.
The centre has your usual shops and nice new shopping centre, but in the main part like Whitefriargate you'll see yet again allot of borded up shops.

It's good for a night out and the student population is great.

But i wouldn't base your uni on the city it is in, just look at the reputation of the uni, the course etc and decide if it's right for you.

I have firmed Central Lancashire and as anybody knows Preston is a bit of a ****hole but the course is fantastic and so is the uni so thats the main thing personally to me
Reply 15
Thanks, thats really useful! - sucks abit about the lack of jobs though as i obviously need one when im at uni.
and thats a coinsidence - i currently live in preston, and will be moving away for uni!
So if you have any questions i'll be happy to answer them :smile:
Yeah, hulls my insurance...i think the reputation of the uni seems to be pretty good but obviously its maybe not as good as some others
Your right in saying UCLAN is really good - the only reason im not going there is because i live here and i wanted to move away abit :smile:

Original post by KGW
It is a nice city but the only problem is there is no jobs....at all.

I live in Hull and one of the main reasons i'm going to uni is to get out of Hull, it is a dead end place for young people. Certainly no hope for youngsters/students and nothing is done about it. It is the worst place for unemployment in the UK, so be warned.

However, it has improved allot over the years with the places perhaps 5 years you wouldn't want to go to e.g. Orchard Park, Bransholme estates are much nicer now and calmer, there isn't much crime in Hull but you will see allot of closed shops, borded up houses and stuff because the recession just hit the city amazingly bad and most of the regeneration work just came to a standstill. There is signs of improvement with some companies such as Siemens investing in the city, with abit of hard work and investment the city will improve again and jobs will be created meaning more business' will buy into the city.
The centre has your usual shops and nice new shopping centre, but in the main part like Whitefriargate you'll see yet again allot of borded up shops.

It's good for a night out and the student population is great.

But i wouldn't base your uni on the city it is in, just look at the reputation of the uni, the course etc and decide if it's right for you.

I have firmed Central Lancashire and as anybody knows Preston is a bit of a ****hole but the course is fantastic and so is the uni so thats the main thing personally to me
Reply 16
I've lived in Hull all my life and its pretty great. A lot better than some places in the UK definitely, ignore its "bad reputation". Yeah there are ****ty areas, there are everywhere, but if you're coming here as a student you'll never need to visit these places as they're pretty much on the outskirts of the city.
The university is has a good reputation when it comes to courses and stuff, good student union too which does some great student nights most nights of the week( cheap drinks too), and it's very student friendly round the area of the uni, with a lot of the houses being student houses, student friendly nights out and lots of shops.
The city centre is good for shopping and a night out too (not much is boarded up like someone said earlier). Old town is a lot better in my opinion, new town is a bit too full of chavs and ********s for my liking.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemma_Pascoe

All I know is that its pretty great for shopping, has a decent union and does a really good, cheap night out :smile:
Reply 18
'rachamy' i would say a fair share of town is boarded up, behind BHS for example thats disgusting. Half of that street from Mcdonalds to Prinny Quay is, 60% of whitefriargate and everything to the left of St Stephens, i mean we still have your normal shops including Superdry, A huge Primark etc but i'm just warning them that seeing boarded up shops etc isn't unusual in Hull, they have tried improving it by putting nice pictures of Hull in the windows but still.

Since the funding was stopped its normal to see streets such as:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2448/3844612199_2f80d21ce6_z.jpg?zz=1
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2714/4110071228_a59ef67d7d_z.jpg?zz=1
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/63/84/638457_d144ae92.jpg

These are streets which was due to be regenerated and it just never happened

Whitfriargate:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3271/3852621323_f9a1e372d6_z.jpg?zz=1
Thats the main sight down there, however they are trying to improve it

Other pictures:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3550/3818456924_ff630d2c57_z.jpg?zz=1

BUT you then only need to look at the pictures on this website to see how beautiful the city is, it isn't all doom and gloom in Hull, it will most definitely improve and become a thriving city again

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981142&page=14

THE best thing about Hull is honestly how cheap everything is.
It is a great city, the reputation needn't be listened too.
Reply 19
Haha yeah, those photos make hull look ****e!
I guess what I was trying to say was people coming here to study often won't venture out to Holderness Road/Orchard Park/Ings Estate.
I hadn't even noticed how boarded up whitefriargate is I guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest