The Student Room Group

CELLS Hep

Hello,

I have been asked to do a table like this

Column headings are -Organelle Function How the structure of the organelle is linked to its function

organelles- Nucleus Lysosome Chromatin etc

How do I go about filling it out i have a rough idea on the structure and function but i cant seem to link it

Thank you all help given rep
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
For example:

Nucleus
Structure - Nuclear envelope is a phospholipid bilayer
Function - Seperates the contents (DNA and related transcription and duplication enzymes) from the cell cytoplasm and prevents other macromolecules from freely diffusing.

Structure - Nuclear pores
Function - Provide aqueous channels and allow smaller molecules to freely diffuse and also structures such as mRNA

And so on..
Original post by NatashaB5051
Hello,

I have been asked to do a table like this

Column headings are -Organelle Function How the structure of the organelle is linked to its function

organelles- Nucleus Lysosome Chromatin etc

How do I go about filling it out i have a rough idea on the structure and function but i cant seem to link it

Thank you all help given rep

Organelle Name, Function, Description, How structure links

Ribosome - Protein Synthesis - In eukaryotic 80S (larger), in prokaryotic 70S (smaller.) Made up of 2 sub units - High in abundance

Mitochondria - Aerobic Respiration - Site of aerobic respiration where ATP is produced - Cristae has large SA for respiration to occur

SER - Synthesis and store of carbohydrates and lipids. - NA

RER - (Glyco)protein synthesis - Can be continuous with nucleus and has ribosomes on its outside - NA

Golgi Body - Secretory System - Packages proteins into vesicles (lysosomes) - NA

Lysosomes - Autolysis, exocytosis, breaking down worn out organelles / cells - Contain hydrolytic enzymes which break down substances by hydrolysis into smaller, soluble molecules. - NA

Nucleus:

Nucleolus - Synthesises ribosomes - NA - NA

Chromatin - genetic material - Uncondensed DNA wrapped around a histone protein. - NA

Nucleoplasm - NA - Jelly-like matrix making up the bulk of the nucleus and has proteins dissolved in it. - NA

Nuclear pores - lets substances out of the nucleus - NA -NA

Nuclear membrane - 'Chooses' what enters / exits cell - NA - NA

How its structure is related to it's function isn't always as obvious and easy to describe as it is with, say, the mitochondria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending