The Student Room Group

What do people take to university?

I'm starting uni this year and just wondered what is generally considered acceptable to take to uni!

Some of the things I own and treasure are:

a bass guitar and amp
acoustic guitar
vinyl player and about 20 records
massive stack of CDs
ipod and speakers
lots of books
large collection of sketchbooks that are mostly filled but i like looking at them
camera tripod

All these things I use regularly but they are all quite bulky and probably wouldn't even fit all of them in my halls.
Are these standard things that people take to uni or would they be more likely to leave them at home and just take the basics with them?

Also, would people get annoyed with my guitarring? I can use headphones on the amp for the bass but I sing and play acoustic guitar for hours every day, i don't sound horrible but i can imagine it might get annoying. Do people take their instruments to uni?

thaaaankkksss
I took a holdall sports bag full of clothing and 2 pairs of shoes. A ruck sack with some stationary, toiletries, 2 knives, 2 forks and a cup and one laptop.

Loads of people take insturments. Providing you didn't play your guitar at 3 am on a week day or had it blasting loud, nobody would bother. But I guess it depends on who you live with.

Tbh you can take as much or as little as you want. I took very little as I moved by myself, but some people in my accomodation brought vans so it just depends.
(edited 11 years ago)
All of the above aren't necessities obviously but if you want them, take them. I took a TV and stuff. The walls in my accommodation are quite thick and you wouldn't be able to hear you playing guitar. I'm sure people wouldn't mind anyway, though, if you weren't playing at stupid times during the night/early in the morning or whatever.
whats most important to you?

the bass/guitar could be useful, i often see students busking and if there good they can make quite a bit (there is a guitarist and bassist up here then actually attract whole crowds, although i does meen getting cold)

the record player - can you leave it at your parents and just take you cd/ipod player instead? im sure your parents wont just throw it away so you can go back and get it when you have more room

the other thing once again are more storage items that should be left at home, if there really important pick one or two and leave the rest, also why dont you buy new sketch books and make new memories to look though over your time?

hope that helps
Reply 4
All I'm gonna take is confusion and a bunch of jeans.
Thanks good answers everyone :smile: Think I will just take both guitars and leave the rest at home!
Reply 6
I took my record player and all my vinyl, and more books than clothes. :colondollar: It's kinda amazing how much junk you can cram into halls really. (seriously, I took a zester - because I *might* need one, never used it).
Reply 7
Original post by gerahumu
I'm starting uni this year and just wondered what is generally considered acceptable to take to uni!

a bass guitar and amp
acoustic guitar
massive stack of CDs
ipod and speakers
lots of books
large collection of sketchbooks that are mostly filled but i like looking at them
camera tripod

All these things I use regularly but they are all quite bulky and probably wouldn't even fit all of them in my halls.
Are these standard things that people take to uni or would they be more likely to leave them at home and just take the basics with them?

Also, would people get annoyed with my guitarring? I can use headphones on the amp for the bass but I sing and play acoustic guitar for hours every day, i don't sound horrible but i can imagine it might get annoying. Do people take their instruments to uni?

thaaaankkksss

There are two paths you could take here:

The one I took:
Take the bass, join a band, use the uni amp. Play gigs, get laid. lots.

Or the one some tosser from my hall took:
Take the acoustic, play constantly in front of housemates. Get told to **** off and die. lots.
Original post by py0alb
There are two paths you could take here:

The one I took:
Take the bass, join a band, use the uni amp. Play gigs, get laid. lots.

Or the one some tosser from my hall took:
Take the acoustic, play constantly in front of housemates. Get told to **** off and die. lots.

I guess there is far more room in a band for bass players than acoustic ... especially for reasonably attractive females :colondollar:

How easy was it to get into a band at uni? did you find friends who also were musicians and decide to form one or answer an advert for a bass player for a pre existing band?
Reply 9

a bass guitar and amp
acoustic guitar
massive stack of CDs
ipod and speakers
lots of books
camera tripod

thaaaankkksss

Instruments: yes, people do take them. And provided you don't play them at awkward hours, and are quiet during exam period or if somebody asks you to be, then it's not an issue. Universities generally have music rooms which you can use to practice in as well. I'd suggest only taking one guitar (unless you really can't force yourself to choose), since it could get a bit tight for room with both.

I have about 10 books here, and 15 DVDs. When relatives come and see me or I go home, I exchange them for new ones. It's a system which works relatively well (sometimes you'll want something you don't have at uni, but it won't kill you to go without for a while). I left all my CDs at home - I can do without, since I have an iPod.

Basically - you don't have room to take everything you own. Prioritise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
It really depends on how big your room will be; you'll be able to get this info from the uni accomodation website and from current/past students on here. Some of my friends and I have huge DVD/book/CD collections and my boyfriend took his bass, amp, record player and probably nearing 50 records and he has plenty of space for them all (but then he has a lot of shelf space, more than I do anyway).

As for people being annoyed by your playing, I think most universities ask you for a bit of info about your personality, whether you like quiet, how often you go out etc. to make sure you're not allocated a hall you will hate. Make it clear you play instruments and be considerate and you should be fine.
Reply 11
I guess there is far more room in a band for bass players than acoustic ... especially for reasonably attractive females :colondollar:

How easy was it to get into a band at uni? did you find friends who also were musicians and decide to form one or answer an advert for a bass player for a pre existing band?

I met people from my halls, but most universities have an online band matchup service, kinda like online dating but for bands

Then you practice hard, enter battle of the bands, play some local gigs, get a local following, record an album, give away some records, get a few support slots. Its all great fun.

Best bit I found was when you turn the microphone to the crowd and they actually know all the words to the songs you wrote.
Original post by py0alb
I met people from my halls, but most universities have an online band matchup service, kinda like online dating but for bands

Then you practice hard, enter battle of the bands, play some local gigs, get a local following, record an album, give away some records, get a few support slots. Its all great fun.

Best bit I found was when you turn the microphone to the crowd and they actually know all the words to the songs you wrote.

sweet! i'm going to Leeds uni, do you know if they have a band dating site? :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
aha its just hit me that you actually move your whole room over :P
so my keyboard and bike for defo :smile: erm bed sheets, duvet, lots of clothes, board games, Ipod and camera and laptop and just roomly things, oh then theres the cultery/plates/kitchen stuff and thats about it- all I can think of at the moment :tongue:
sadly, cant take the trampoline (I use everyday) unless I buy a kiddies one or the Uni is willing to accomodate it on their front lawn or something ahah
Reply 14
sweet! i'm going to Leeds uni, do you know if they have a band dating site? :cool:

I don't know, but I'm sure google would. try this:

http://www.leedsuniversityunion.org.uk/clubsandsocieties/performance/bandsoc/
Original post by py0alb

Looks good, thankyou! I really hope my housemates are into the same sort of thing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending