The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

superdillon
I wish I had known...
that there is more than one route to becoming a lawyer and that people that have a non-law degree have the same level of employability as a law graduate. May have decided to study a different subject at undergraduate level.

I wish I had known this too. I would have loved to have done my undergraduate degree in History then converted to Law. :smile:

I didn't know this because I didn't do my research, similarly I didn't do my research regarding uni! :eek: When I was 17, applying for deferred entry, I chose Leeds on the merits of, um, Harvey Nichols and Living Room. :redface: I was a bit of a party girl at this stage of my life, and the merits of the actual university were pretty much irrelevant to me. And damn have I regretted it!! So I wish I had known to do research and go to the best uni available to me rather than the best uni city.
* This is quite a personal "I wish I had known..." because I appreciate the uni city is hugely important as well, however by the time I went to uni at 19, my main focus was getting a good degree, and so the actual uni was more important to me... :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Dreama
I wish I had known that Law tends to attract a large proportion of power-hungry, money-thirsty, CV-boosting "empty" people with their single aim being to have a better TC and a more expensive car than their peers.

:rolleyes:

I love you more and more with each post:wink::biggrin:. I understand why my friends went off to London and other places to do the commercial thing. That said, it did make for quite a lonely life at times, being one of the few who went on to do a masters etc etc.

What do I wish I'd known before? Hmm. I think sometimes entering into something with a blank sheet of paper can be a good thing. The capacity of law to take over my life I sometimes don't like, and I can have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it, thats about it really!
This is quite an interesting topic, I am still sort of torn by not going into practice cos 2 of my professors have asked me to do a Ph.D and consider academics, but I dont know if I could get into that all my life ... its not a money thing (one of the ones who asked me also works for Baker and McKenzie and earns a shed load), but somehow the idea of teaching and academic research for the rest of my life doens't really appeal.

But if there was something I wish I hadknown it is this: I wish I had known how boring criminal law was, it all looked so interesting to start out with!
Reply 23
chriswhit
I love you more and more with each post:wink::biggrin:.

*Grins*

Some people hate me more and more with each post though...

I'm like marmite. :p:
Reply 24
Lewis-HuStuJCR
This is quite an interesting topic, I am still sort of torn by not going into practice cos 2 of my professors have asked me to do a Ph.D and consider academics, but I dont know if I could get into that all my life ... its not a money thing (one of the ones who asked me also works for Baker and McKenzie and earns a shed load), but somehow the idea of teaching and academic research for the rest of my life doens't really appeal.

If you want a chat about the postgrad side of things let me know, would be happy to give you an honest set of views and answer any questions you might have. Either way, whatever you decide to do, try and make sure that you are able to take informed decisions about how best to move forward:smile:
Yea the 2 i mentioned keep offering to advise me on it aswell, one said "i would hate to see you wasted on practice", and they're actually quite annoying lol... but I guess its made me change my perspective as before these chats I had never considered it at all ... might drop one of them an email and get some more details about it, feel free to elaborate though, like what are you going to do after you finish your Ph. D etc.
Reply 26
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Yea the 2 i mentioned keep offering to advise me on it aswell, one said "i would hate to see you wasted on practice", and they're actually quite annoying lol... but I guess its made me change my perspective as before these chats I had never considered it at all ... might drop one of them an email and get some more details about it, feel free to elaborate though, like what are you going to do after you finish your Ph. D etc.

A number of issues here I think. As I said, it is good and important that you should be able to take informed decisions about prospects on graduation. That advice though should be objective and reasoned I think. On advice, I am unable to resist a quote from my favourite song, which says:

"Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it" [Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen). I play this every year to my departing students!]

My point is that you should do thie things that are right for you, and i think only you are in a position to assess what this might be. If practice is what you want to do after thinking about it, going on work experience, vac schemes etc, then go for it! That is far from a waste. What would be a waste is to rush into something, or to do something for the sake of pleasing others. You obviously have lots of ability so make sure you use it well, whatever you choose to do.

As for me..goodness knows..spending more time on writing my next chapter and less on tsr would be a start! I just try to take one step at a time and enjoy the journey. As long as i can make some sort of positive difference in some way then thats good. It sounds really cheezy I know, but thats why i applied to do law, and thats one of the reasons why I'm motivated to carry on.
Thanks, yea thats exactly what I am doing, I have done 1 vac scheme, looking for more for next summer and possibly even doing 1 out here in singapore! I need to get some advice on other routes before I get too swayed by having an amazing time on vac scheme! It was really good fun!
What is TC?
training contract.
Reply 30
I wish I'd know that, before I took this in-house position, I'd still have to do some damned law.

I have a 1700 page (yep, 1700 page) US Fed Court judgment handed down on Thursday to read over the weekend. Unbelievable.
Reply 31
chalks
I wish I'd know that, before I took this in-house position, I'd still have to do some damned law.

I have a 1700 page (yep, 1700 page) US Fed Court judgment handed down on Thursday to read over the weekend. Unbelievable.

Ah, but the american judgements are often ammusing because the judges just love to read their own writing. They yada on and on and on, and sometimes even manage to mix sarcasm in there!
Reply 32
Trust me - I ain't amused to be reading this on my Saturday. Plus, lets just say that the judgment isn't exactly in our favour.
Reply 33
chalks
Trust me - I ain't amused to be reading this on my Saturday. Plus, lets just say that the judgment isn't exactly in our favour.

In that case may I suggest Pelican Brief :wink:
Reply 34
Good plan, if a little late...
Reply 35
chalks
Good plan, if a little late...

The advantages of the common law - eventually it will be looked at again. May I suggest pelcan brief next time? :p:
Reply 36
The fact that it will be looked at again doesn't save (a) my weekend or (b) my employer....
Reply 37
"Defiance, it's all I have left"
I also wish I had known.....
that the studentroom was a place where I could get really helpful information :smile:

:tsr2:
Yea, forums are great for info. TSR is good, my uni also has a number of forums and my hall had one before I moved in!! So before I arrived I knew nothing about the place other than it was a building. Turned out to be the coolest one with the only student run bar etc etc. Not like I would have gained much by reading most of what is said on these forums though, as it just over-worries some people.

Latest

Trending

Trending