The Student Room Group

Question for ladies about shaving 'down below'

So I really need a method of total hair removal down there. I am too much of a wimp to wax/epilate (don't try and convince me, I really don't want to try them), I've tried hair removal cream and found it hardly worked and was also really inaccurate. The only thing I haven't properly tried is shaving.

To ladies who shave as their routine method of hair removal: Do you get a smooth finish? Do you have problems with rashes/ingrown hairs? I shave my bikini line and have problems with getting a rash. Is there a better razor to use? I'm mostly concerned about how smooth it will look afterwards. Pubic hairs are pretty thick, I don't want patches to be left. It's the main reason I haven't tried it; I don't want to look like beard stubble or something.

Advice?
Reply 1
I personally try to alway shave with a new razor or hardly used one in the shower or bath. Smooth finish for me. (Helps to put some baby lotion on after to prevent itching/rashes).
It really itches as it grows back, and its not an area you can really scratch in polite company =/
Reply 3
Original post by Airfairy
So I really need a method of total hair removal down there. I am too much of a wimp to wax/epilate (don't try and convince me, I really don't want to try them), I've tried hair removal cream and found it hardly worked and was also really inaccurate. The only thing I haven't properly tried is shaving.

To ladies who shave as their routine method of hair removal: Do you get a smooth finish? Do you have problems with rashes/ingrown hairs? I shave my bikini line and have problems with getting a rash. Is there a better razor to use? I'm mostly concerned about how smooth it will look afterwards. Pubic hairs are pretty thick, I don't want patches to be left. It's the main reason I haven't tried it; I don't want to look like beard stubble or something.

Advice?

While you're having a hot shower (must be hot: opens up pores, makes shaving easier), use a thick conditioner "down below" (use plenty!). Make the skin taut and flat, e.g. by putting your hand flat under your belly button and pulling upwards. At first, go with the direction of the hair (i.e. downwards), which removes a fair bit of the hair quite gently, then, go against the direction of the hair (i.e. upwards) which will remove the rest of the hair. Start outwards, work your way in until everything is removed. Ta-daa. :awesome:

This is my way of doing it, it's taken me a while to perfect a routine which doesn't leave me with a rash / ingrown hairs / etc. I don't know if it will work for you or anyone else, but might be worth a go!

Hope it helps!

:wavey:
Reply 4
I have never been able to shave without getting a rash, even with using various different techniques and lotions and such, its sometimes a lot more successful than other times but I can never get it without any shaving lumps at all.

I stick to Veet, Im not sure if this is dangerous or not but i usually leave it on a couple mins more than it says to, and if you put on quite a thick layer and cover the whole area and make sure you scrape it off with quite a bit of force I think it works quite well, it isnt perfect and I still even with that get a few little red bumpy bits but it isnt half as bad as shaving.
Reply 5
Original post by ildaf123
I have never been able to shave without getting a rash, even with using various different techniques and lotions and such, its sometimes a lot more successful than other times but I can never get it without any shaving lumps at all.

I stick to Veet, Im not sure if this is dangerous or not but i usually leave it on a couple mins more than it says to, and if you put on quite a thick layer and cover the whole area and make sure you scrape it off with quite a bit of force I think it works quite well, it isnt perfect and I still even with that get a few little red bumpy bits but it isnt half as bad as shaving.

I always wonder, is the hair removal cream safe to get on that area? I know there is a special one for sensitive areas that says it can be used down there, but it is ok if you aren't very accurate in application and it gets on...certain sensitive parts? :colondollar: if that makes sense? Because when I put it on I was very scared when it came to applying it in more intimate areas so probably didn't use as much as I should have and wasn't very accurate in applying.
Reply 6
I always wonder, is the hair removal cream safe to get on that area? I know there is a special one for sensitive areas that says it can be used down there, but it is ok if you aren't very accurate in application and it gets on...certain sensitive parts? :colondollar: if that makes sense? Because when I put it on I was very scared when it came to applying it in more intimate areas so probably didn't use as much as I should have and wasn't very accurate in applying.

I tried that once and it burned the sensitive parts like hell! It's put me off hair removal cream

Posted from TSR Mobile
After buying an epilator last week and taking over an hour to do my legs because I'm that much of a wimp, I kind of came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to use it "down there". Two days later I was feeling brave and tried it just a little.. bad move, never will again.

I think waxing is the best bet if you can stand the pain; at least it's done quickly. Shaving is okay, but you have to make sure you use lots of conditioner and take your time with it.. it's a sensitive area after all!
Reply 8

Im not sure if its safe, I kind of try my best to make sure that it doesnt touch certain parts just incase haha. Im sure it wouldnt cause too much of damage but like I cant imagine it being very comfortable/good for your lady bits, I just keep round the edges.
Reply 9
Get it all waxed off to start with. It'll hurt like feck, but then it's done. Thereafter, epilate weekly or shave daily. You'll be dealing with tiny downy hairs so no problems with pain (epilating) or stubble/rashes (shaving).
I would suggest a mens razor. Never get any problems with those bad boys.

Advice?

Don't epilate! I've tried and it hurts so much more compared to on your legs :sadnod:. I don't have any problems with rashes or ingrown hairs. Make sure you're careful, use a sharp razor and exfoliate to prevent ingrown hairs. Waxing is the best way to go but you have to wait for the hairs to grow out again which is really off-putting.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think with shaving you are always going to get the horrible stubble effect within a day or two. No matter how you do it you are still only shaving the surface of the hair off leaving a blunt end.
Go to a professional and get waxed. The 4 strips that it will probably take will give 1 second of pain each. 4 seconds of bearable pain for at least 4 weeks of smoothness.... Bit of a no brainer. It hurts less than the itching and tweezing out an ingrown hair!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by emilie18
While you're having a hot shower (must be hot: opens up pores, makes shaving easier), use a thick conditioner "down below" (use plenty!). Make the skin taut and flat, e.g. by putting your hand flat under your belly button and pulling upwards. At first, go with the direction of the hair (i.e. downwards), which removes a fair bit of the hair quite gently, then, go against the direction of the hair (i.e. upwards) which will remove the rest of the hair. Start outwards, work your way in until everything is removed. Ta-daa. :awesome:

This!! Totally agree. With the grain first, then against the grain, for a nice smooth finish! The first time you do it, you will probably get a bit of a rash afterwards, and when it grows back - i.e. in about 2 days, it will be SO itchy! But keep at it. If you keep shaving every 2-4 days, your skin gets used to it and it doesn't itch or go red or sore anymore. The first time you do it, use a nice, new, sharp razor. You don't need a new razor or blade each time though. I've been using the same one down there for a couple of months. :redface: Also I would say use a man's razor! They are much better than women's ones. A few people also recommend using conditioner as a shaving gel but I find it tends to clog up your razor, both with the conditioner itself and also from the hairs getting caught in it and not being washed out easily. I tend to use shampoo, bubble bath or shower gel instead. Just not cheap soap.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I've just gone back to shaving as I don't have the money for waxing at the moment. I will go back to waxing in the future but more because it's so much easier than shaving every day than for the results. It does give better results but there's not that much difference- you can definitely get good results from shaving. You just have to put the effort in. I do it every single day and make sure I exfoliate regularly, use shampoo as shaving foam, use a fairly new razor, go with the grain first then against it and go slowly and carefully. If you do get any irritation sudocreme works well but I find I get more ingrown hairs from waxing than shaving.

It is a bit of a hassle but if you keep putting the time in you can definitely get a smooth finish.
Mens razor, lots of gel/conditioner and don't forget to do the bumhole area :P
I used to shave with a razor and never got any rash or had any problem, the only thing is it's really itchy when it grows plus it makes the hair really strong and hard. Now I'm using a silkepil epilator instead of a razor and I'm very happy with this method - it only hurts the first time and it makes it way softer and smooth. It also takes longer to grow back so I'd definitely recommend this as the most effective method.
Reply 17
Thanks for the info. Bought some better razors and shaving gel a few days ago and did it; turned out ok! I didn't get a rash or any ingrown hairs. Bf preferred it and so do I actually. Glad I read to shave with the grain first, I think that helped.
I use the nair sensitive hair removal cream atm but only go around the edges, being careful to not get it near the important parts. I find that this doesn't seem to remove all hairs so I shave afterwards. I ALWAYS come out in a horrible rash after and can't seem to get rid of it. It's an absolute nightmare.

Quick Reply

Latest