The Student Room Group

Msc Physiotherapy from Canada

Hi!

I'm a student in Canada. 5th year undergraduate in Life Sciences. I'm interested in doing Masters (Pre-Registration) in the UK.

I'm a bit concerned about whether or not I will be accepted. My GPA is below the 2.1 minimum. I stand at 3.00/4.00 scale. I have a lot of volunteer experience at various places. My marks this year are going to at the 2.1 level but not my CGPA (Had an awful 3rd year of university, suffered from severe anxiety and family problems so my grades suffered).

Any advice on whether I can get in? Also do any schools accept a 2.2?

Thanks!
For a place on most UK postgrad courses you will be expected to have at least a 2.1 unless you have *substantial* work experience or similar. Its the same for most scholarship schemes - you simply wont be considered without a 2.1 or above.

Its probably worth you emailing your enquiry to a couple of potential Universities, but dont get too hopeful.
I don't know about your field in particular but yes, most UK worthwhile schools would be expecting something higher than that. Don't bother with any mediocre programs as I know there are great ones in Canada which will cost you far less.

Additionally, I must reiterate what returnmigrant said about funding because you will not likely get any. I have a pretty high GPA and I'm struggling to get any as a non-UK/EU student.

Give it a shot though! If you do apply let them know about your extenuating circumstances but don't lay it on too heavy. Also, if you went to a school with a good, highly competitive program you might want to stress that in any letter of intent/personal statement they ask you to write. And by all means stress the volunteer work! None of this will compensate for academics, but alongside some good letters of reference it might help.
Reply 3
Hi there,

Did you end up applying/ getting in anywhere?

I'm in the same boat as you - from Canada and the same cGPA with good volunteer experiences. I'm not sure exactly what 2:1/ 2:2 minimums are.

Thanks,
Yannicca

Original post by ehcanadian
Hi!

I'm a student in Canada. 5th year undergraduate in Life Sciences. I'm interested in doing Masters (Pre-Registration) in the UK.

I'm a bit concerned about whether or not I will be accepted. My GPA is below the 2.1 minimum. I stand at 3.00/4.00 scale. I have a lot of volunteer experience at various places. My marks this year are going to at the 2.1 level but not my CGPA (Had an awful 3rd year of university, suffered from severe anxiety and family problems so my grades suffered).

Any advice on whether I can get in? Also do any schools accept a 2.2?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Hey! Did you end up applying/ getting in anywhere? I'm in the same boat as you, coming from Canada with a 3.0/4.0 CGPA with quite a bit of volunteer experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending