The Student Room Group

Charter Reform

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qwertish
I suppose... I guess it would be a way for an SC rep to switch SC seats? I'd imagine you can't do this in the normal way, since it is an elected position.

True but how would your idea work? Cause then the two SC reps would switch seats by default if the challenger defeated the incumbent.
Reply 61
Original post by Cheese_Monster
True but how would your idea work? Cause then the two SC reps would switch seats by default if the challenger defeated the incumbent.

No, lol, that's what the last complicated paragraph was about.

If there are two SC countries (say, France and China) held by two people (say, A and B respectively).

Now, say A runs for China, and loses: A will lose his seat in France (to whomever wins the election for France, say person C), and will take up C's old non-SC seat. B will then either retain his seat, or execute a straightforward swap with another candidate for China.

But if A wins, and gain's China's seat: B will lose his Chinese seat, and be placed in C's old seat (remember, C is the person who won the election for France).

Effectively, it's a cycle. It works because a current SC rep can't simultaneously defend his own seat, and run for another seat. If he is running for another seat, he gives up his current seat, regardless of the outcome.

(see attached diagram ;P)

EDIT:
Also, this means there is no defending incumbent for France's seat, of course.
(edited 11 years ago)

If there are two SC countries (say, France and China) held by two people (say, A and B respectively).

Now, say A runs for China, and loses: A will lose his seat in France (to whomever wins the election for France, say person C), and will take up C's old non-SC seat. B will then either retain his seat, or execute a straightforward swap with another candidate for China.

But if A wins, and gain's China's seat: B will lose his Chinese seat, and be placed in C's old seat (remember, C is the person who won the election for France).

Effectively, it's a cycle. It works because a current SC rep can't simultaneously defend his own seat, and run for another seat. If he is running for another seat, he gives up his current seat, regardless of the outcome.

EDIT:

I've maintained almost all of the time that a person can hold only one SC seat. If someone did want to run for another they would have to resign their current one if they ran. I think regardless of activity it should be one person per Permanent SC seat. If that's what you meant, I'm just latching onto the end of a conversation here.
Reply 63
Original post by thunder_chunky
I've maintained almost all of the time that a person can hold only one SC seat. If someone did want to run for another they would have to resign their current one if they ran. I think regardless of activity it should be one person per Permanent SC seat. If that's what you meant, I'm just latching onto the end of a conversation here.

Of course :smile:.

By running for another SC seat, they lose their current seat. Even if they fail to gain the new seat, they still lost the old seat. Essentially, they're choosing to try for a new seat instead of defending their current seat.

If people like the idea, I can write something up properly that'll clear up any issues.

EDIT:

Ahh. Thank you for clarifying that. This sounds very beneficial too, though I would concur with T_C's comments about only holding a single SC seat :smile:
Reply 65
I am very bored right now, so attached is the full plan for how I think the elections could work :P.

This version is now old. See here for the new version :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Bump... I think we could get started with some of the reforms soon? :smile:
Bump... I think we could get started with some of the reforms soon? :smile:

Aye. I think you should finalise the wording for the MUN SC elections :smile:
Reply 68
I am very bored right now, so attached is the full plan for how I think the elections could work :P.

Why can't SC keep their dually represented country? At some point it is possible they will not have the country they also represent back and will either have to represent another country or be left without a seat in the GA.
Reply 69
Original post by Kiss
Why can't SC keep their dually represented country? At some point it is possible they will not have the country they also represent back and will either have to represent another country or be left without a seat in the GA.

Well, the seat swap system doesn't work if an SC keeps their original country. One way around it could be to say that if a candidate already dual reps, then he must drop at least one (for the seat swap), but can keep the other.
Reply 70
Well, the seat swap system doesn't work if an SC keeps their original country. One way around it could be to say that if a candidate already dual reps, then he must drop at least one (for the seat swap), but can keep the other.

That still means current SC members would have to abdicate their current positions without having a backup country if they failed to be elected. For example, I wouldn't be allowed to keep Brazil which isn't fair if there is to be a dual representative system for the GA but not the SC. Yes, I would swap with whoever wins the election against me, but it means I can't dually represent at all and if elected out I'll not have the country I had prior to this new system.
Reply 71
Original post by Kiss
That still means current SC members would have to abdicate their current positions without having a backup country if they failed to be elected. For example, I wouldn't be allowed to keep Brazil which isn't fair if there is to be a dual representative system for the GA but not the SC. Yes, I would swap with whoever wins the election against me, but it means I can't dually represent at all and if elected out I'll not have the country I had prior to this new system.

There's no problem with you keeping Brazil? The proposal doesn't preclude dual representation, and because you're already in the SC, you'll be a defender in the first election. If you win, you keep both seats, if you lose, you keep Brazil and get the seat of whoever won.
Reply 72
A
Security Council Elections

For the purposes of this document:

'Currently' and 'old' mean before the election.

'New' means after the election.

A 'candidate' is anyone running for election who does not already hold the seat they are running for.

An 'incumbent Representative' is anyone who currently holds an SC seat.

A 'defender' is anyone who is an incumbent Representative who has not forfeited or waived their right to defend their seat.

Elections for Representatives for the six permanent seats of the Security Council ('SC seats') will take place biannually.

There will be an election during the month of June, and the month of December.

Incumbent Representatives have to right to defend their position for an indefinite number of terms.

Anyone may run for election, provided they already hold at least one seat in the General Assembly (GA). The following caveats apply:

If a candidate does not already hold an SC seat, and holds a single non-SC seat, they will give up their old seat if they win the election. If they lose, they may return to their old seat.

If a candidate does not already hold an SC seat, and holds two non-SC seats, they will give up one of their old seats if they win the election. If they lose, they may return to all of their old seats.

If a candidate already holds an SC seat, he/she gives up their current SC seat, regardless of the outcome of the election. They may keep any non-SC seat which they represent in addition to their SC seat.

By extension, a candidate already holding an SC seat forfeits the aforementioned right to defend his/her current SC seat for this election round.

If there are no candidates for a particular SC seat, then the incumbent Representative cannot run for election for a different seat. They must remain in their current seat, or resign their position (thereby calling a by-election).

The election period will last 4 weeks, and shall be organised as follows:

Week 1 (1st to 7th): The election period automatically begins on the first of June or December. From this day, candidates have 7 days in which to submit their manifestos to the Secretary General (SG). Incumbent Representatives must also submit a manifesto, or else they waive the right to defend their seat.

Week 2 (8th to 14th): On the 8th day, the SG will post the manifestos. A one week period of debate and discussion follows, including Question and Answer sessions with the candidates/defenders.

Week 3 (15th to 21st): Polling week. All Representatives in the GA have one week in which they can cast one vote, regardless of the number of countries/organisations they represent. Candidates and defenders may also vote.

Week 4 (22nd to 28th): On the 22nd, the SG will post the result of the elections. This week is to be left free, for any potential issues arising from the elections to be resolved. Guidelines for potential outcomes are listed below, in Section 5.

There are four possible outcomes (routes) for each contested seat:

A candidate who currently represents a non-SC country wins a seat in the Security Council. In this case, the outgoing SC Representative will take up the old seat (the seat which was relinquished in accordance with 4.a or 4.b) of the incoming SC Representative.

A candidate who currently represents an SC country wins the right to represent a different SC country. In this case, the outgoing SC Representative exits via route (a) or (b) for the old seat of the SC Representative who is switching SC seats.

A candidate who currently represents an SC country fails to win the right to represent a different SC country. In this case, the candidate leaves his/her old SC seat via route (a) or (b). The candidate must leave his/her old SC seat.

The defender successfully defends his/her position. In this case, failed candidates return to their old seats.

Miscellaneous:

To prevent unnecessary confusion; during the election period, no seat-swapping may occur.

New MUN members who join during the election period may take up one currently empty seat. They may apply for dual representation/seat-swapping after the election period.

Point 4.b is new and 4.c is modified, to clarify the situation with dual-representation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Birchington
QFA

Hows the charter rewrite going? I can do some if you like. Help you cut away the fat, a.k.a the stuff that can either be cut away or redined for the modern MUN.
Reply 74
Hows the charter rewrite going? I can do some if you like. Help you cut away the fat, a.k.a the stuff that can either be cut away or redined for the modern MUN.

I believe Birchington has started work on this, but haven't had a proper chat with him in a couple of days.

He might need some help, perhaps drop him a PM? :biggrin:
Reply 75
So far so good, it's pretty much just cutting out some of the waffle really. I'll put up the condensed charter next week after my exams finish.
Reply 76
The updated charter I'm working on will be up soon, once my exams are finished.
The updated charter I'm working on will be up soon, once my exams are finished.

:yy:
Reply 78
I'm nearly finished writing the condensed Charter. I'll get it up over the weekend so we can begin planning the new charter.
I'm nearly finished writing the condensed Charter. I'll get it up over the weekend so we can begin planning the new charter.

Nice one. :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending