The Student Room Group

BUSS3 January 15th

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if Critical Path Analysis may come up, it last came up in June 2010??!
Original post by Barack Obarlow
Does anyone know if Critical Path Analysis may come up, it last came up in June 2010??!

Well I mean if it does it is very easy marks to gain.
As there are just the pros and cons and perhaps tell you to finish it off.
I think there will be some calculations such as the payback period or some liquidity calculations perhaps.
Hi guys, how many points should be made approx. for the 34-36 marker.
Is it:
2 points for + 2 points against in separate paragraphs
or should the for and against be combined into two in-depth paragraph?

also, how should I plan out question 4, what is the most effective and quick method! e.g. table, list?

p.s good luck guys!
Reply 23
Can anybody think of any predictions for BUSS3 jan 15th exam?
Original post by KiranSaghir95
Is it:

also, how should I plan out question 4, what is the most effective and quick method! e.g. table, list?

p.s good luck guys!

I usually do 3 of each just to be on the safe side. I leave myself 45 min for the question about 10 min planning and 35 writing the answer.
Reply 25
I'm not really sure how useful this is but at college we got a talk from one of the chief examiners who told us we could get 100% with only 11 paragraphs in total!

She told us how much they expect for each question ( 1 paragraph = 1 point)

Q1- 1 paragraph
Q2 & Q3- 1 paragraph for, 1 paragraph against and a conclusion
Q4- 2 paragraphs for, 1 paragraph against and a conclusion or 1 paragraph for, 2 paragraphs against and a conclusion. The side you do 2 paragraphs for should be the side you're going with.

Other tips she gave us were:
When developing a chain of analysis use one sentence or phrase of application followed by one sentence or phrase of theory/analysis. Never do more than one sentence of just theory.
Always talk about the corporate objective in Q4.
Treat every question as a numerical question. Manipulate the data even if its just saying the difference between two numbers rather than the 2 numbers.
Make links between functional areas as much as you can.
Every paragraph other than those for Q1 should include some evaluation.

I think that's most of what she told us. I hope this helps some of you, her talk really helped me understand what I needed to do :smile:

Good Luck with your revision!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by abobop
I'm not really sure how useful this is but at college we got a talk from one of the chief examiners who told us we could get 100% with only 11 paragraphs in total!

She told us how much they expect for each question ( 1 paragraph = 1 point)

Q1- 1 paragraph
Q2 & Q3- 1 paragraph for, 1 paragraph against and a conclusion
Q4- 2 paragraphs for, 1 paragraph against and a conclusion or 1 paragraph for, 2 paragraphs against and a conclusion. The side you do 2 paragraphs for should be the side you're going with.

Other tips she gave us were:
When developing a chain of analysis use one sentence or phrase of application followed by one sentence or phrase of theory/analysis. Never do more than one sentence of just theory.
Always talk about the corporate objective in Q4.
Treat every question as a numerical question. Manipulate the data even if its just saying the difference between two numbers rather than the 2 numbers.
Make links between functional areas as much as you can.
Every paragraph other than those for Q1 should include some evaluation.

I think that's most of what she told us. I hope this helps some of you, her talk really helped me understand what I needed to do :smile:

Good Luck with your revision!

Any specific advice for Evaluation? I have read many blogs on tutor2u and they give if anything too much advice. They would state 'Relative Significance' points, SWOT analysis points and some recommend you state new points. Most examiner reports do not recommend this, saying that all evaluation should weigh up the significance of all discussed points and prioritise them with justification. Quite confusing to take all these different suggestions in to be honest!
(edited 11 years ago)
Is it:

p.s good luck guys!

2 points for. 2 against + detailed conclusion full of evaluation. Any more than 2 points is pushing it in terms of time and suggests that there's not enough detail to hit L4/5. A teacher on tutor2u said that you can get 20+ marks in one paragraph if it is very in depth and full of consistent application.
Reply 28
Original post by midnightice
Any specific advice for Evaluation? I have read many blogs on tutor2u and they give if anything too much advice. They would state 'Relative Significance' points, SWOT analysis points and some recommend you state new points. Most examiner reports do not recommend this, saying that all evaluation should weigh up the significance of all discussed points and prioritise them with justification. Quite confusing to take all these different suggestions in to be honest!

She said to answer all of these in the conclusion:
Make a decision adopt or reject?
Why have you reached that decision?
How does your decision support the objective?
What will need to be done?

Also do not create a new point in the evaluation, it should sum up what you've already talked about.
Reply 29
Is it:

p.s good luck guys!

With regard to planning I usually do bullet points, buy a table is also good, do what works for you, just remember not to spend too much time planning i.e. no more than 10mins. Always remember, time is always very tight in this exam. Good luck :smile:
Is it:

p.s good luck guys!

we are always told to do point on each of the main sections i.e. finance HR operations and marketing, and normally they fill in for and against. To score max evaluation marks counterargue any possitive with the flip side.

for example - the business' ROCE has increased to 15% suggesting it won't experience problems in funding the proposal, however this figure is still lower than the industry average and liquidity is falling suggesting raisingt eh cash for the proposal may make or break the business.
Original post by dan94adibi
I usually do 3 of each just to be on the safe side.

On the 34 mark, do you start with any intro or do you just go straight to the points. if not what do you need to discuss in intro
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
On the 34 mark, do you start with any intro or do you just go straight to the points. if not what do you need to discuss in intro

I give the examiner a little bit of knowledge. I tell the examiner what a corporate objective is and I also tell them the fact that functions play a major role (functional objective) in achieving our objectives.

Essentially this is what your evaluation should be about. Is there a coordination and effective communication in between the functions for us to achieve the plan?
I recommend you guys to read those evaluation points on tutor2u.
They are excellent.
Reply 34
One advantage and one disadvantage is fine as long as you go into enough detail. However in the 32? Correct me if I'm wrong, more than one is needed.
Original post by EOTK
One advantage and one disadvantage is fine as long as you go into enough detail. However in the 32? Correct me if I'm wrong, more than one is needed.

1 pro and con is a very risky strategy.
I would always go for 2 in the 18 makers and even in 10.
in the 34/36 you would need 3 points for and 3 points against.
In the 32 marks question, is it a good strategy to write about 2 functional objectives for (e.g. Finace & HR) and then 2 against (operations & marketing) followed by a conclusion
Reply 37
1 pro and con is a very risky strategy.
I would always go for 2 in the 18 makers and even in 10.
in the 34/36 you would need 3 points for and 3 points against.

I've always been taught to do one point for each but in a lot of detail, but will always go into another point if I have enough time.

3 points for and against is what I was taught as well.

I should really start a bit more revision for this.
Original post by EOTK
I've always been taught to do one point for each but in a lot of detail, but will always go into another point if I have enough time.

3 points for and against is what I was taught as well.

I should really start a bit more revision for this.

Yup knowing the content very well is the key. I mean the questions are very easy compared to those set in BUSS4.
So if you what they are talking about you will achieve high marks.
Good luck :wink:
Reply 39
Yup knowing the content very well is the key. I mean the questions are very easy compared to those set in BUSS4.
So if you what they are talking about you will achieve high marks.
Good luck :wink:

I found BUSS1+2 really easy so trying not to be complacent. Thanks buddy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending