The Student Room Group

Not feeling confident after passing driving test

Well what the title says really....

I passed on the 21st December (first time 6 minors)
And very luckily got a car for Christmas, which i love and im not being ungrateful

I just don't feel confident in driving, and soon I'll be driving from Bradford to Huddersfield every week day so i kinda need to sort myself out. I have been out a few times, for the first time just round the block, then when i got stuck on a slight hill junction (thank god nobody was behind me) stalling 10 times i decided to text my instructor, and so on monday i went out for a drive in my car with him and i did originally feel much better. I did stall quite a few times in my first 10 minutes but after that i was okay. Think this is due to learning in a diesel car and now having a petrol, i preferred it a lot more when i didn't need to set the gas when moving off at junctions and whatnot

I think I'm so nervous and not confident for these factors
With the setting the gas not being something i used to do in the car i learnt in, now i worry when i get to a junction i may stall and possibly be in a dangerous position to others.

Im scared of hills because in case i roll back, i rolled back a tad (just a tad) before going on a slight hill and some traffic lights, i have got P plates on for the time being hoping that people would give me a bit of extra space but at the time the guy behind me was right behind me, quite astonished i didn't hit him (although i know it would of been my fault for rolling back) But this is why it scares me

I also feel much more under pressure when I'm on main roads (and not just going round the block in my area) Because although i have P plates it just seems everyones annoyed with me just being there :/ Its actually making me quite upset, and kinda regretting ever passing

I think hills and stalling and my main issues which make me nervous,

They also make practicing hard. Because when i think about going out for a drive i consider where i would go, then realize i would probably get lost (i have a sat nav but don't want to be too concentrated on that instead of the roads) Plus to get off my street there is 2 roundabouts then its down into town and lots of slights hills so it scares me before i even get on the road.

-----

Anyone else felt like this after passing? or is it just me? How long does it last?
Any tips? Apart from just saying 'go practice' any tips on what to practice, how etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I passed my driving test on 19th december and this was my second attempt. If I had passed first time around I would have had the same problem you're experiencing- my issue was roundabouts. I was so afraid of them that the thought of one coming up would make me wish I never started learning to drive. But after more lessons my confidence rose and I now feel perfectly fine with them.

I have driven everyday since passing my test as luckily i already had a car waiting outside (a years worth of saving for it, mind!)
At first I felt just like you did, as if I shouldnt have passed and that I would no doubt cause an accident.

BUT TRUST ME it gets better very quicky. Its because its just YOU and you are responsible for your own safety and your own car and other people and at first its daunting to think you have been given the freedom and quite literally the licence to go out when you please and drive a big lump of metal on the roads.

However, the DSA are strict and you would not have passed if you were neither capable of driving safely or responsibly- you know what to do- its just a case of getting the experience to DO that with more ease and with confidence.

Its only been a few weeks for me but I already dont think about most things when driving and just have it ingrained into me, and thats a matter of weeks!

One final word of advice- dont be tempted into bad habits because of the other idiots on the road. Take your time but dont be too hesitant, and do what you were taught. It is very easy to be pressurised by other drivers to take chances and cut corners so that you arent faced with BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. The amount of horns and flashing lights I get when I go at 36mph down a 30mph road is ridiculous!!!! (they all go at 50/40 down that road)

GOOD LUCK!!! XXxXX
Reply 2
Can you take a parent or a friend with you for a few trips? Hopefully a friend who drives as well, so they can offer guidance if you need it.

Or, ask your instructor to ride with you, but have them sit in the back? I think a lot of people get used to having an instructor beside them - It's like a safety check; "Seatbelt, mirrors, seat, instructor. Wait, instructor?!".

I have heard that wearing P plates can actually cause more issues than solve. I've heard that people are jackasses around P plate drivers.

I'm not sure about setting gas to go though. It might just be an underpowered car. I can start pulling away with just the clutch in my petrol car, but it is a 1.6 litre. You might just need to practice finding the biting point a bit more - Put the handbrake on and have a about 1500RPM on the dial. Be in first gear but the clutch all the way to the floor. Then slowly bring up the clutch so that the nose of the car starts to drop. Finding that will help you to stall less.
The nervousness is probably due to having a new car. As others have said, take a friend who has passed with you (id say parent but sometimes they can make you anxious too)

Try going to a car park, just learning where the biting point is. This was the first thing i did when i got my car (again like you, saved up for ages!)
Once you have the biting point sussed, the rest is a little easier to do.

Hill starts? Yer i hate them too -.- use the handbrake as much as you can, and before setting off get your biting point and be charitable with the accelerator pedal! I do this every time, if there is a car behind its best to be safe than damage your car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Well done for passing!!!

It sounds like your struggling a lot with hills...

I think a good idea would be to go out sometime when it's quiet and not many cars around, find a hill similar to the ones you are finding tricky and practice stopping and starting on them (take someone experienced with you), I think there's always going to be a slight issue getting used to finding the biting point etc in a new car.

If you ever stall on a hill then just hit the brakes as quickly as possible, relax and take your time recovering from the error, there is no need to rush!!! I guess if it's a really steep hill, or you can't hold the brakes whilst starting the car up (I can't multitask for ****) then apply the handbrake, find your biting point before letting go of the brakes / handbrake, and if you stall or start rolling back then just get back on the brakes and try again.
Reply 5
@Confirmed - Thanks for replying (:
And i kinda wished i had passed second time round, i had fully prepared myself to fail (mainly for nerves) but i planned i was going to do my test on feb 5th and i would have about 15 more hours extra practice (i do 2 hour lessons) Can't change the future tho, i bet people think I'm weird for actually wanting to fail first time haha :') I used to feel the same about roundabouts, used to really despise them because i worried about when to go/not go, i still hate 3rd/4th exits i feel so much more vulnerable on the inside lane but now i also worry about stalling when its my chance to go.

It really scares me as you mentioned that i have been granted a license to actually drive a car, its so much responsibility and i really don't want to cause an accident.

I really hope that like you in a few weeks i feel fine and wonder why i ever worried :/

----------------------

@SillyEddy - Well thats the thing i don't really have many people to come out with me that can drive. Only my uni friends drive however live quite far and we're all busy with assignments, the ones home at the moment can't drive and my family members all have kids and jobs so it wouldn't really work. I think my mum might come out with tomorrow (depending if we can get our neighbour to babysit, definitely not taking my younger brothers too haha) Which may help, although shes been driving for about 15 years so now she says she doesn't know how to do things because she 'just does it' without thinking lol, but i think it could be helpful we'll see (:

Well i've already been out with my instructor for 2 hours, it is a possibility and i know he would help, but i think im using him as a comfort blanket. He's really amazing no doubt about that and i feel much better when he's in the car with me, but it all goes when he not, so i think i need to avoid that for now

I don't want to keep my P plates on for too long, just until i feel a bit more confident, in hope that people will sometimes give me a bit of extra time, some do, some dont.

And if i don't set gas i stall ):, mines only a 1.1 maybe thats why? I want my next car to be something like the one i learnt it, so going to do lots of saving up. I think i need to try the techniques tho, i always have trouble seeing the bonnet move, however i can usually hear the engine noise change, I'll have to have a try (:

Thanks for replying :smile:

-------------------------------

@megfashion - Yeah i think you're right the change form the car i learnt in and my car definitely makes me nervous

and gosh i really hate the hills, but wherever i go theres a hill lol :')

Thanks for posting (:

---------------------------------

@Dan - Well thank you ^^

Yeah im trying to get people to come out with me, but its difficult getting people who are experienced and not busy, hopefully my mum will come out with me tomorrow tho and maybe (i really really hope so) i will feel better about it.

I remember when i was learning, i stalled 3 times at some traffic lights on a hill :') i can't remember if it was the petrol or diesel car but i managed to save myself rolling back each time i could just not for the life in me get off it :') and that hill is on my short cut to the road i'll be taking to uni D: so feeling nervous about going that way lol

Thanks for the post (:

-------------------------------------

Big thank you to those who have posted, i really hope this goes away very soon. I hate feeling like this :/ You guys have given me hope tho (:
Original post by NatashaLee
@Confirmed - Thanks for replying (:
And i kinda wished i had passed second time round, i had fully prepared myself to fail (mainly for nerves) but i planned i was going to do my test on feb 5th and i would have about 15 more hours extra practice (i do 2 hour lessons) Can't change the future tho, i bet people think I'm weird for actually wanting to fail first time haha :') I used to feel the same about roundabouts, used to really despise them because i worried about when to go/not go, i still hate 3rd/4th exits i feel so much more vulnerable on the inside lane but now i also worry about stalling when its my chance to go.

It really scares me as you mentioned that i have been granted a license to actually drive a car, its so much responsibility and i really don't want to cause an accident.

I really hope that like you in a few weeks i feel fine and wonder why i ever worried :/

----------------------

@SillyEddy - Well thats the thing i don't really have many people to come out with me that can drive. Only my uni friends drive however live quite far and we're all busy with assignments, the ones home at the moment can't drive and my family members all have kids and jobs so it wouldn't really work. I think my mum might come out with tomorrow (depending if we can get our neighbour to babysit, definitely not taking my younger brothers too haha) Which may help, although shes been driving for about 15 years so now she says she doesn't know how to do things because she 'just does it' without thinking lol, but i think it could be helpful we'll see (:

Well i've already been out with my instructor for 2 hours, it is a possibility and i know he would help, but i think im using him as a comfort blanket. He's really amazing no doubt about that and i feel much better when he's in the car with me, but it all goes when he not, so i think i need to avoid that for now

I don't want to keep my P plates on for too long, just until i feel a bit more confident, in hope that people will sometimes give me a bit of extra time, some do, some dont.

And if i don't set gas i stall ):, mines only a 1.1 maybe thats why? I want my next car to be something like the one i learnt it, so going to do lots of saving up. I think i need to try the techniques tho, i always have trouble seeing the bonnet move, however i can usually hear the engine noise change, I'll have to have a try (:

Thanks for replying :smile:

-------------------------------

@megfashion - Yeah i think you're right the change form the car i learnt in and my car definitely makes me nervous

and gosh i really hate the hills, but wherever i go theres a hill lol :')

Thanks for posting (:

---------------------------------

@Dan - Well thank you ^^

Yeah im trying to get people to come out with me, but its difficult getting people who are experienced and not busy, hopefully my mum will come out with me tomorrow tho and maybe (i really really hope so) i will feel better about it.

I remember when i was learning, i stalled 3 times at some traffic lights on a hill :') i can't remember if it was the petrol or diesel car but i managed to save myself rolling back each time i could just not for the life in me get off it :') and that hill is on my short cut to the road i'll be taking to uni D: so feeling nervous about going that way lol

Thanks for the post (:

-------------------------------------

Big thank you to those who have posted, i really hope this goes away very soon. I hate feeling like this :/ You guys have given me hope tho (:

Well done, I remember posting on your thread before the test:borat:

Right, I am going to give you the best advice ever lol. I passed my driving test last February with six minors, just like you. I was very reluctant to drive by myself at first, probably because I was scared that I would encounter problems on the road that I had never dealt with during my lessons. So first I kept driving to a minimum, seldom did I drive however, when I did it was round my block. Anyway, I had an epiphany and the realisation struck me that I had passed my test, I was deemed competent by the examiner, and I had not spent all that money on lessons to not drive. I would wait until around 6-8pm and take my Polo to the gym, I kept it nice and slow and even put on the radio to calm me down:smile: I made sure that I braked well before stationary vehicles, and always applied enough gas to prevent stalling when setting off at traffic lights. It was all about remaining collective for me, and taking every situation one at a time. I started driving to the gym every evening by myself, and one time it was raining really badly. I thought, I can do this (even if there was going to be loads of traffic and reduced vision). I put on my window wipers and set off, remaining calm and collective, and everything went ok. It was all about getting into the habit of driving on my own and being independent, now I love it. With regards to your problem will hills and rolling back. When your driving up a hill, firstly use the appropriate gear (if there's slow moving cars in front then use gear two, though gear two most of the time on hills is appropriate.) If you can see that you will have to stop then slow down and hit the clutch/brake smoothly. Get into gear one and determine how long you will be stationary. If you're likely to move off soon then raise your clutch to about a pound coins width and apply enough gas to ensure that your car stays still rather than rolls back. If it does roll back, don't panic. There's no need to panic, just hit the brake and handbrake and try again, it's all about getting used to the biting point of your car and learning at this point, so perhaps do a few hill starts on your own at night somewhere:smile: Of course, when you're moving off then you just raise the clutch more/slowly whilst pressing more gas.

I used to get nervous, not anymore. If I can drive then so can you:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by pinda.college
Well done, I remember posting on your thread before the test:borat:

Right, I am going to give you the best advice ever lol. I passed my driving test last February with six minors, just like you. I was very reluctant to drive by myself at first, probably because I was scared that I would encounter problems on the road that I had never dealt with during my lessons. So first I kept driving to a minimum, seldom did I drive however, when I did it was round my block. Anyway, I had an epiphany and the realisation struck me that I had passed my test, I was deemed competent by the examiner, and I had not spent all that money on lessons to not drive. I would wait until around 6-8pm and take my Polo to the gym, I kept it nice and slow and even put on the radio to calm me down:smile: I made sure that I braked well before stationary vehicles, and always applied enough gas to prevent stalling when setting off at traffic lights. It was all about remaining collective for me, and taking every situation one at a time. I started driving to the gym every evening by myself, and one time it was raining really badly. I thought, I can do this (even if there was going to be loads of traffic and reduced vision). I put on my window wipers and set off, remaining calm and collective, and everything went ok. It was all about getting into the habit of driving on my own and being independent, now I love it. With regards to your problem will hills and rolling back. When your driving up a hill, firstly use the appropriate gear (if there's slow moving cars in front then use gear two, though gear two most of the time on hills is appropriate.) If you can see that you will have to stop then slow down and hit the clutch/brake smoothly. Get into gear one and determine how long you will be stationary. If you're likely to move off soon then raise your clutch to about a pound coins width and apply enough gas to ensure that your car stays still rather than rolls back. If it does roll back, don't panic. There's no need to panic, just hit the brake and handbrake and try again, it's all about getting used to the biting point of your car and learning at this point, so perhaps do a few hill starts on your own at night somewhere:smile: Of course, when you're moving off then you just raise the clutch more/slowly whilst pressing more gas.

I used to get nervous, not anymore. If I can drive then so can you:biggrin:

Awh its so nice to see you here! I Remember you posting now (: and thank you.

Thanks for replying too, very nice post with some good advice. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has been nervous about it, did you not get nervous driving at night? Like now, obviously it gets dark very early, so im reluctant to go out in the evening because of the reduced view, i find it much harder when turning left/right, i think thats because I'm small too, so i don't exactly see what i would like too, never the less i need to get used to it because I'll be finishing uni relatively late so it will be dark most nights.

Lovely to hear how you feel much better and confident about driving now, how long did it take? weeks? months? just out of interest lol

I almost have my bite worked out, but sometimes I'm like omg where has it gone haha, i think I'll be more confident once i know i have 100% got my biting point, and know that i can just go when stopped at traffic lights, and dont have to worry about stalling lol.

Thanks for posting, made me feel better (:
Awh its so nice to see you here! I Remember you posting now (: and thank you.

Thanks for replying too, very nice post with some good advice. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has been nervous about it, did you not get nervous driving at night? Like now, obviously it gets dark very early, so im reluctant to go out in the evening because of the reduced view, i find it much harder when turning left/right, i think thats because I'm small too, so i don't exactly see what i would like too, never the less i need to get used to it because I'll be finishing uni relatively late so it will be dark most nights.

Lovely to hear how you feel much better and confident about driving now, how long did it take? weeks? months? just out of interest lol

I almost have my bite worked out, but sometimes I'm like omg where has it gone haha, i think I'll be more confident once i know i have 100% got my biting point, and know that i can just go when stopped at traffic lights, and dont have to worry about stalling lol.

Thanks for posting, made me feel better (:

I don't think it's a matter of how many days, weeks or months, but about how much you drive. I did not get nervous at night, preferred it actually. Just switch on your lights, ensure yours windows are clear and you're good to go. I think it's better to drive at night to build your confidence up and in the days to practice that confidence in the traffic and so forth. Also I found that bit about you being small cute:tongue: Don't think your small on the road because that will just encapsulate your confidence and cloud your ability to make the right decisions/judgments. I think you'll be fine to be honest:smile:
Reply 9
I failed my first atempt because of round-abouts....an idiot decided not to signal so i though he was going straight until he came my way and my DSA examiner had to brake my car :/ In my second attempt i passed my test, but i dont have a car yet coz i need to earn one....licky u got one in christmas....this is not from experience but at first you might be hesistant and nervouse to drive but once you do drive for a while you should be fine i think....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by pinda.college
I don't think it's a matter of how many days, weeks or months, but about how much you drive. I did not get nervous at night, preferred it actually. Just switch on your lights, ensure yours windows are clear and you're good to go. I think it's better to drive at night to build your confidence up and in the days to practice that confidence in the traffic and so forth. Also I found that bit about you being small cute:tongue: Don't think your small on the road because that will just encapsulate your confidence and cloud your ability to make the right decisions/judgments. I think you'll be fine to be honest:smile:

ah, i see what you're saying. I do hope to be driving to Huddersfield on week days, which is about a half hour journey so hopefully that will give me more experience. I might try going out around 4ish then it's gradually getting darker instead of going out in the pitch black lol.

Haha, yeah im like super small, 4ft 9 so it does feel a bit weird being next to all these big cars lol, my examiner was 7ft, we had a little giggle about our height differences lol.

Original post by spun29
I failed my first atempt because of round-abouts....an idiot decided not to signal so i though he was going straight until he came my way and my DSA examiner had to brake my car :/ In my second attempt i passed my test, but i dont have a car yet coz i need to earn one....licky u got one in christmas....this is not from experience but at first you might be hesistant and nervouse to drive but once you do drive for a while you should be fine i think....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hate it when people don't signal at roundabouts >.< it's rather annoying. But well done for passing (: and good luck getting a car, have any in particular in mind? and yeah i hope im fine soon and can just enjoy driving again.

And very luckily got a car for Christmas, which i love and im not being ungrateful

I just don't feel confident in driving, and soon I'll be driving from Bradford to Huddersfield every week day so i kinda need to sort myself out. I have been out a few times, for the first time just round the block, then when i got stuck on a slight hill junction (thank god nobody was behind me) stalling 10 times i decided to text my instructor, and so on monday i went out for a drive in my car with him and i did originally feel much better. I did stall quite a few times in my first 10 minutes but after that i was okay. Think this is due to learning in a diesel car and now having a petrol, i preferred it a lot more when i didn't need to set the gas when moving off at junctions and whatnot

With the setting the gas not being something i used to do in the car i learnt in, now i worry when i get to a junction i may stall and possibly be in a dangerous position to others.

Im scared of hills because in case i roll back, i rolled back a tad (just a tad) before going on a slight hill and some traffic lights, i have got P plates on for the time being hoping that people would give me a bit of extra space but at the time the guy behind me was right behind me, quite astonished i didn't hit him (although i know it would of been my fault for rolling back) But this is why it scares me

I also feel much more under pressure when I'm on main roads (and not just going round the block in my area) Because although i have P plates it just seems everyones annoyed with me just being there :/ Its actually making me quite upset, and kinda regretting ever passing

They also make practicing hard. Because when i think about going out for a drive i consider where i would go, then realize i would probably get lost (i have a sat nav but don't want to be too concentrated on that instead of the roads) Plus to get off my street there is 2 roundabouts then its down into town and lots of slights hills so it scares me before i even get on the road.

-----

Anyone else felt like this after passing? or is it just me? How long does it last?
Any tips? Apart from just saying 'go practice' any tips on what to practice, how etc?

I seriously could have wrote this post myself! Firstly lots of people have had these sorts of problems and its best for remember this. I passed in July, and I'm only just finding my confidence and had all the problems you've listed. The main key is to practice, practice and practice. I started off just going round the block and my area with my mum/dad to gain confidence, I've started going further away and doing odd trips by myself (which was a big issue before!) stalling was a big issue for me, but I found using the handbrake really helped: I apply the handbrake get my biting pot ready with foot on the gas then as soon as I can go I just take the handbrake off and don't stall. Since using this method I haven't stalled in ages :smile:

I found taking my mum made me relax more and we would have a nice chat whilst driving around which helped me not too worry about what could come up whilst driving and not too over analyse things. Then I'd go out with my dad and we'd go further away and practice parking in car parks etc as I still worry about this! I just try to work on things I struggle with and go when traffic is light, so avoid rush hour and school drop off/pick up.

I'm slowly getting there and sure you will do too, you've passed your test so can do everything required and can be a safe driver. At the end of the day, practice makes perfect and for me really boosted my confidence and self belief :smile: I hope this helps, don't give up :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by charlottemay93
I seriously could have wrote this post myself! Firstly lots of people have had these sorts of problems and its best for remember this. I passed in July, and I'm only just finding my confidence and had all the problems you've listed. The main key is to practice, practice and practice. I started off just going round the block and my area with my mum/dad to gain confidence, I've started going further away and doing odd trips by myself (which was a big issue before!) stalling was a big issue for me, but I found using the handbrake really helped: I apply the handbrake get my biting pot ready with foot on the gas then as soon as I can go I just take the handbrake off and don't stall. Since using this method I haven't stalled in ages :smile:

I found taking my mum made me relax more and we would have a nice chat whilst driving around which helped me not too worry about what could come up whilst driving and not too over analyse things. Then I'd go out with my dad and we'd go further away and practice parking in car parks etc as I still worry about this! I just try to work on things I struggle with and go when traffic is light, so avoid rush hour and school drop off/pick up.

I'm slowly getting there and sure you will do too, you've passed your test so can do everything required and can be a safe driver. At the end of the day, practice makes perfect and for me really boosted my confidence and self belief :smile: I hope this helps, don't give up :biggrin:

So nice to know someone has felt the same, thanks so much for posting, shall definitely keep trying to practice. Booked in a lesson with my instructor to go to Huddersfield because thats where i go to uni, and theres a hill i dont like so I'd rather him there to help me out. I can't go out with my mum, she just complains and knocks my confidence tbh, don't think she really understands how i feel or how it is to just pass your test because she's been driving 15 years now, so can't really remember that far back. But i don't mind paying for a few lessons, my lessons were a present so i don't mind paying for these extra ones. I just want to feel a bit safer and more confident.

A bit scared to go out alone, but i might go for a little drive tomorrow or i might wait till after I've been out with my instructor. Gonna try make myself go out for about 30 mins at least each day this week i think to get some practice. Just hoping it gets better

Thanks so much for your post btw,
Hopefully in a while i'll be feeling as you are :smile:
So nice to know someone has felt the same, thanks so much for posting, shall definitely keep trying to practice. Booked in a lesson with my instructor to go to Huddersfield because thats where i go to uni, and theres a hill i dont like so I'd rather him there to help me out. I can't go out with my mum, she just complains and knocks my confidence tbh, don't think she really understands how i feel or how it is to just pass your test because she's been driving 15 years now, so can't really remember that far back. But i don't mind paying for a few lessons, my lessons were a present so i don't mind paying for these extra ones. I just want to feel a bit safer and more confident.

A bit scared to go out alone, but i might go for a little drive tomorrow or i might wait till after I've been out with my instructor. Gonna try make myself go out for about 30 mins at least each day this week i think to get some practice. Just hoping it gets better

Thanks so much for your post btw,
Hopefully in a while i'll be feeling as you are :smile:

Thats good, I booked a lesson with my instructor after passing and I actually felt it made it worse. He was an amazing driving instructor and I seriously couldn't have passed without his guidance but I felt under so much pressure whilst driving in my own car with him. I realised I needed to do it by myself, for myself! But i hope it helps yourself :smile:

Have you got a friend that come along with you and make driving more fun? Lessons are full of pressure and the need for almost perfection whilst the smaller things don't matter after your test. I found it hard to adjust to driving by myself by my own way and just going out made me realise driving was more fun than it had been previously.

I know its scary going out alone but honestly its one of the best things you can do, don't force yourself to do it though. If I'm not in the right mood for driving and force myself too I make more mistakes, get frustrated and basically feel asif I've gone backwards in terms of progress. Just go when it feels right for you and just a short journey to start with.

Trust me, if I can overcome these problems with driving anyone can! :smile:
- good luck and apologises for the long post (feel asif I've rambled on a bit)
Get up on a weekday at 7am. Be out into your car by7:45. Now drive to the most congested areas near you with dodgy hill starts, roundabouts (ask your parents where to go) and make sure they are next you for a lil comfort. You will be very very shook, but eventually you'll get used to it and become more confident.

💷Certified 💷
Reply 15
Practice practice practice, and also don't be afraid to use the handbrake... It really helps
Reply 16
How are u getting on. Are u confident and enjoying driving now. Its been over a year be good to hear
Reply 17

-----

Hi, I passed my test 2 weeks ago and got my car yesterday. I read your post and this is basically 100% the situation I am in. I'm surprised to see that somebody else has also been in exactly this situation.

I have noticed that it has been a while since you posted this, please could you tell me what your current situation is. Are you comfortable to drive now or not? If yes, how long did it take for you to settle down? What did you do that resolved the situation, any tips?

Please give me as much advice as possible.
Original post by Sbh300
Hi, I passed my test 2 weeks ago and got my car yesterday. I read your post and this is basically 100% the situation I am in. I'm surprised to see that somebody else has also been in exactly this situation.

I have noticed that it has been a while since you posted this, please could you tell me what your current situation is. Are you comfortable to drive now or not? If yes, how long did it take for you to settle down? What did you do that resolved the situation, any tips?

Please give me as much advice as possible.

I was also in the exact same position after passing my test, I already had a car but didn't feel confident driving. I used to get really nervous and anxious about going out, and would even dread busy roads and roundabouts, sometimes actively avoiding them.

What I did do was just force myself to drive everyday. Where I work meant I had to use 3 of the busiest roundabouts in my town so I soon became more used to them. I also drove for no reason at all, just to get some practice in.

I remember feeling like it would never feel natural, but after a month or 2 of driving by myself I no longer felt nervous or anxious and would actually looks forward to driving! I now find it quite relaxing. And it's true what they say, you really do learn how to drive after you have passed. Good luck, and just get stuck in, and be safe!

Edited to add, that if you are worried about rolling back on hills Etc, just use your handbrake until you are familiar with the bite and clutch of your car! There's no need to add the pressure of using the footbrake if you don't feel confident yet! After a week or 2 you will he used to your new car you won't worry so much at all :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
I am a parent of a new driver and can totally understand all these comments. I am making myself ill both day and night. My son passed first time aged 17 then 2 weeks later was bougt a car for his 18th. Thought it would just be a case of get in and go. I was wrong the biting point was totally different and stalling was a regular occurence. This took lots of practice with me as a passenger stopping and starting around the block. We have gone out together which results in me arriving home physically shaking! I have also thought if you passed your test you must be ok to drive but I can now see learners build up a false sense of trust with dual controls. If I don't get sorted soon I will be suffering a breakdown. Are there any parents out there who can offer support?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending