The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, I'd feel that I could have always done better.
I could try and say some middle-ground statement that is received favourably from the TSR population, but in all honesty... no.

A 1st is for the true high-fliers, a 2.1 is for those who worked hard and knew their stuff, but a 2.2 is too low to be attributed to a 'bad year', and at university we should rise to the occasion and perform as our degree expects, regardless of its difficulty (or lack thereof).
Not really, my thought reflect the above posters entirely -- I would always think that I could do better. Not to mention, if I were to want to do a masters at a better university, I would usually require a 2.1 (considering the universities I have in mind + what I possibly think I'll be going to).
Reply 4
Depends how you get your 2:2 really. I was on for a first until my dissertation, its just something I'm not good at and I scraped 40% but it equated for 50% of my marks, the rest I got 72% average so ended up with an overall average of 56%. To say I didnt know my stuff would be a lie but I am still proud of my 2:2 and I'm doing well for myself so yes I think you should be proud.
Reply 5
And dont you hate the occasion when you're in the middle of an exam and there's a question that when revising,you briefly looked at through your book - you suddenly start cursing yourself for not reading what was on the page and you start having mental flashbacks of the time when you were carelessly flicking through the pages? Or maybe that's just me. :colondollar:
Reply 6
How exactly do they work? What decides if you get a 1st or a 2:1 or 2:2.

Btw medical school doesnt have these right?
Reply 7
I think it really depends on the degree subject. I'd be more impressed by someone with a 2:2 in a maths/science related subject than an arts subject. I think that's just my personal view, though. Studying English, I know that getting a 2:1 isn't really too hard if you're willing to put the hours in. People will often get a 2:2 for an individual piece of work, but I don't think many get a 2:2 over all; I think it's around 8% or something low like that.
If I had genuinely tried my best, then yes I would be proud of it. But I know that my best will always be better than a 2.2 (unless there were extenuating circumstances) so I would be pretty disappointed I think.
Original post by kinglynx
How exactly do they work? What decides if you get a 1st or a 2:1 or 2:2.

How good your answers in exams/coursework are determines what grade you get, in the same way as it determined what GCSE or A-level grade you get.

Btw medical school doesnt have these right?

I assume they would but not really sure!
Reply 10
Original post by Rascacielos
How good your answers in exams/coursework are determines what grade you get, in the same way as it determined what GCSE or A-level grade you get.

I assume they would but not really sure!

Sorry i meant, is it over all academic performance or just end of year exams?
Like GCSE and GCE are (for unmodular) all end of year exams that you take, your midterm/topic/mock tests have no bearing on your final grade.
Reply 11
If it's the best you could achieve, yes but don't brag about it.
Reply 12
Yes I think you should be. You can still get a decent job with a 2:2, although it rules you out of the running for other things. To get a 1st or even a 2:1 at a say...Top 20 university is difficult. If you've tried your best and given it your all, you can walk away and hold your head up.

But for me, I'd believe I can be the best. I'd be looking at a high 2:1 minimum to be pleased, ideally I'd be looking for a First.
Reply 13
I think it depends on the person. I personally wouldn't be, I know I can do better than that and I'm on course to get a 2.1, but, and I know this sounds silly, I think I may be slightly disappointed with a 2.1. I was predicted a first at the end of second year and there is still a small chance to get one but my time management and concentration has been truly **** throughout most of uni. I haven't put the effort in and that means I can't get as good a classification as I'm capable of aiming for.

But if I had put all the effort in and worked hard and still came out with a 2.1 then I would be happy. I suppose it comes down to knowing that you have done as best as you can and worked hard to earn that 2.2. You should be proud of your achievements if you work hard for them.
Sorry i meant, is it over all academic performance or just end of year exams?
Like GCSE and GCE are (for unmodular) all end of year exams that you take, your midterm/topic/mock tests have no bearing on your final grade.

It really depends on the course. For my course, it's assessed through a written submission and a final exam. For some of my friend's courses, they do a test every month or so which counts towards their final grade, usually as well as an exam.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
If a 2.2 was near the peak of my potential for which I had to work hard and it would get my where I want to go then of course I would be proud.

Achievement is completely relative to goals and ability.

For me personally, no I wouldn't. I know I am capable of performing better than a 2.2 and I need at the minimum a mid-ranged 2.1 to do what I want at the next step.
Reply 16
depends on what course it was for and which university and how I was finding the course itself. If I found it really hard then I may just be happy to pass, but if it was easy/manageable then I'd be disappointed probably.
Reply 17
If I spent 3/4/5 years at uni working my ass off for a degree and only getting 2.2, it'd feel like a waste of time and honestly would not be proud.
Reply 18
seems a bit negative...
Reply 19
This depends on a range of factors related to the individual and course.

If you can honestly say to yourself that you gave your best effort for each assessment then a 2:2 is a good achievement and reflection of your ability. I feel however you know you can do better.

From my point of view - no a 2:2 would not reflect the time/effort/commitment I have made to my studies or the ability I have. To put it bluntly for me if I do not achieve a minimum of a 2:1 I will be severely disappointed in myself - but at the end of the day I will only have myself to blame. I know what I need to do and get to achieve what I want so it lies solely in my hands.

Latest