The Student Room Group

JSA Personal Advisor out to get me?

I'v been signed on for about 4 or 5 months now and I have interviews with my personal advisor every fortnight. I have a sign on time on my JSA Agreement which I can't even remember the last time I went to because I'v had to come in at different times every fortnight for interviews with my advisor. Every time I go to sign on I have to see her.

Surely this isn't normal and unfair? My advisor is also on my back every single time I go in. She's already sanctioned me for missing an appointment (I was 5 minutes late) and another time for not actively seeking for work because all the jobs I applied for were in the same category.

Every time I see her she is always looking for something to bring up. Either I haven't done enough activities a week, I haven't applied for enough jobs, the only jobs I'v applied for are in the same category and anything else she can bring up.

Nearly every week she's getting me to fill in another form that I have to describe what I'v done in the past 4 weeks to seek work which then goes to a decision maker because my activity isn't good enough.

It's now come to a point where I'm afraid to go into the job centre in case I get another sanction and I'm left penniless again. I'v already received two sanctions which left me with no money for 6 weeks and it just causes agreements with my mum because she can't afford to pay for everything.

I'm just left fed up and scared. I'm trying to get a job but most weeks there aren't any suitable jobs available for me to apply for and every job I have applied for I either got a rejection email or no response and every time I go into the job centre they make me feel like it's my fault. Having to spend several hours a day searching for jobs is just becoming depressing and making me feel worthless. I live in a city that has a high amount of unemployment (Hull) and it's a city that you would only visit if you live there or you're visiting. It's not like most citys that people pass through so most businesses don't require much staff. Most the jobs advertised are in small villages which are difficult to get to due to no early or late buses.

Having to do prove I do 14 things (6 of which must be jobs I'v applied for) is becoming difficult making it more likely I'll be sanctioned.

What advise would you give me? Surely I shouldn't have to feel like this.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. Last November I became unemployed and had to sign on.

It's a harrowing moment for anyone signing on. I'd done 3 years at University and got a degree only to find that at times I was competing with up to 100 people for the same position.

Truth is, these advisors are supposed to advise you, not dictate as to what job they think are suitable. I've gotta be honest your advisor sounds like an utter cow. I have to have an interview every two weeks but fortunately my personal advisor is alright.

I'm not sure how you think changing the time of your sign on and advisor interview is being 'unfair', they do this to me all the time and it's necessary with the sheer amount of new sign on applicants (or 'doleys' as the uneducated delinquent british society often refers to them). Unfortunately they're gonna keep doing this to you and you have to work around them. They're the ones sorting out your money after all.

As for being 5 minutes late, I'd admonish you to try and make it in early. I'm sure you're already aware you've got an evil witch on your back just waiting for you to be late again! If you know you're gonna be late call them. If you can't make your appointment then definitely call them. If you've called you've saved your back.

If you're like me and sometimes you can't call because Orange decided it was the perfect time to charge you £340 for your monthly bill on the exact day you became unemployed, inform them that you called in and spoke to someone called Dave, or Andy, or Roger... Basically use a common name and blag your way out of it. I've done this twice and gotten away with it easily.

As for filling in that flimsy piece of paper I don't ever bother with that. I take in my laptop and screenshot my job applications from the emails I receive. I've told them I refuse to use Universal Jobmatch as I look on the Indeed website and it's much better.

I know I probably sound like a Corporal but for god sake, MAN UP! Don't be afraid to go into the Job Centre to see some 'personal advisor'. No matter how evil she might be, you're not gonna have to put up with her much longer. And remember, she works for the Job Centre.

She might be some narcissistic megalomaniac whose pleasure is derived from belittling the unemployed, but she's in no AMAZING position in life.
Life's throws you some ****TY curveballs at times but you've got to dodge them! Or hit them, which ever way you look at it :-/...

If you can't do the above then inform the receptionist that you'd like to speak to someone about changing your advisor as you feel you're being constructively singled out. But that's last resort, as these things could get taken VERY seriously. And that's more paperwork.
:wink:

Hope this helps!

:colondollar:
Mike.
(edited 10 years ago)
How hard is it to sit and apply for jobs all you do is upload a CV or fill in an online job application, your just plain lazy.....you could easily do 40-50 a day.
Reply 3
Original post by SloaneRanger
How hard is it to sit and apply for jobs all you do is upload a CV or fill in an online job application, your just plain lazy.....you could easily do 40-50 a day.

Brilliant! Not only have you contributed nothing to this thread but you're obviously an illiterate moron.
Original post by BrandoMike
Brilliant! Not only have you contributed nothing to this thread but you're obviously an illiterate moron.

"Cry me, cry me a river", when they advise people to make a certain number of job searches, like 10 per week or whatever it is. That doesn't mean you stick to it, there are so many jobs out there. If you really wanted a job, outside of the field of your degree, plenty of opportunity to do so. Theres nothing wrong with a cleaners job, leaflet distributer, waiter...... and whatever happened to work trials/volunteering.....

https://www.gov.uk/jobcentre-plus-help-for-recruiters/work-trials
Reply 5
I think they do have targets to meet with regards to sanctioning people.
Reply 6
STOP MOANING about a sanction i got sanctioned and it changed my life.... i had nothing , and thought of ways to earn money i got into few things here and their , because i had the attitude a prisoner gets treated much better and lives much better than someone on a sanction , so go out speak around you will get then 2 outcomes

1. Locked up , where least then you get fed etc so better than being on a sanction with nothing

OR

2. you going be loaded and earning more money than benefits pay and all these on here with jobs dissing you for getting benefits :wink:

they done me a big favor mate , and if you think on it they doing you a big favor too trust me.
Reply 7

*You are

As for the opinion, it's easy for those who are experienced and can easily do what you say but for people who are little or without experience, it takes longer to make a good application, at least for me it takes pretty a lot of time to think how to convince an employer to ask me for an interview.

Oh, yes 40-50 a day just sending exact the same CV/Cover letter to many employers which will obviously lead to no answer or lots of rejections.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ForgetMe
*You are

As for the opinion, it's easy for those who are experienced and can easily do what you say but for people who are little or without experience, it takes longer to make a good application, at least for me it takes pretty a lot of time to think how to convince an employer to ask me for an interview.

Oh, yes 40-50 a day just sending exact the same CV/Cover letter to many employers which will obviously lead to no answer or lots of rejections.

"Cry me, cry me a river", when they advise people to make a certain number of job searches, like 10 per week or whatever it is. That doesn't mean you stick to it, there are so many jobs out there. If you really wanted a job, outside of the field of your degree, plenty of opportunity to do so. Theres nothing wrong with a cleaners job, leaflet distributer, waiter...... and whatever happened to work trials/volunteering.....

https://www.gov.uk/jobcentre-plus-help-for-recruiters/work-trials

If you've been on JSA for 4-5 months then you're doing something wrong - namely that you're being lazy. Don't try that crap saying that you need to put effort into a few good applications. That's crap cause lets face it, the standard of each application you send out is basically the same. At the starting level, with little experience, it's a numbers game and the best thing you can do is contact as many firms as you can sending out a crap load of emails, cv's cover letters. Spending time on a few applications that you want is not gonna work because if you're unexperienced, your 'best' application will still be destroyed by other more qualified people.

Beggars can't be choosers.
And yes, if you're on JSA you are a beggar.

- And before you try to retaliate, I was on JSA for 2 weeks last year and it is one of the most depressing places I have ever been. The one thing i noticed about people who went to those centres is how messed up their mentality was (obviously there will be exceptions...so giving me one counterexample won't suffice). They are lazy and even think that they're too good for the system.

There is a small introductory talk for people signing on where you're in a group of fellow losers and we all had to list out what type of jobs we were looking for. one crazy lady, around 50, on every type of benefit possible, began complaining that she didn't want a minimum wage job because she was too good for it. She's on benefits and is complaining that she was better than working as a cleaner, and any minimum wage job. What a joke. I won't rant more because i'll get angry.

But yeah, thats the general attitude - Sitting on your ass. There's a million opportunities for you out there. Not just ones online.

Be smart about it, GTFO JSA.

I was in the same position with no experience as well, with no contacts, but through a crap load of emailing and contacting, I managed to get a job and now my career path is improving exponentially. Be proactive and stop sitting on your ass.
Original post by lar di da
If you've been on JSA for 4-5 months then you're doing something wrong - namely that you're being lazy. Don't try that crap saying that you need to put effort into a few good applications. That's crap cause lets face it, the standard of each application you send out is basically the same. At the starting level, with little experience, it's a numbers game and the best thing you can do is contact as many firms as you can sending out a crap load of emails, cv's cover letters. Spending time on a few applications that you want is not gonna work because if you're unexperienced, your 'best' application will still be destroyed by other more qualified people.

Beggars can't be choosers.
And yes, if you're on JSA you are a beggar.

- And before you try to retaliate, I was on JSA for 2 weeks last year and it is one of the most depressing places I have ever been. The one thing i noticed about people who went to those centres is how messed up their mentality was (obviously there will be exceptions...so giving me one counterexample won't suffice). They are lazy and even think that they're too good for the system.

There is a small introductory talk for people signing on where you're in a group of fellow losers and we all had to list out what type of jobs we were looking for. one crazy lady, around 50, on every type of benefit possible, began complaining that she didn't want a minimum wage job because she was too good for it. She's on benefits and is complaining that she was better than working as a cleaner, and any minimum wage job. What a joke. I won't rant more because i'll get angry.

But yeah, thats the general attitude - Sitting on your ass. There's a million opportunities for you out there. Not just ones online.

Be smart about it, GTFO JSA.

I was in the same position with no experience as well, with no contacts, but through a crap load of emailing and contacting, I managed to get a job and now my career path is improving exponentially. Be proactive and stop sitting on your ass.

Thank you!:smile:
*You are

Yeah, I did like what you discussed Im far from experienced and educated in terms of people out there 5 Cs 2Ds and E in GCSES....Mortgage and Protection Advisor with a C in Maths....it is about being proactive, making phone calls, developing a decent telephone mannerism. I would consider myself desperate at the time and I really hate my job now, but I do it, just to save money and pay bills. I wouldn't want to be in a sales based job ideally, but i wouldn't want to be on the dole either!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ham22
I think they do have targets to meet with regards to sanctioning people.

Yep, they do. Or they're going to very soon... I read something on BBC news about it a few days ago but I can't find it now.

Dreading being unemployed when I finish uni - especially as all my experience is in retail so the job centre will just tell me to get a job in a shop, which I find mind numbingly dull and detrimental to my mental health...
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Yep, they do. Or they're going to very soon... I read something on BBC news about it a few days ago but I can't find it now.

Dreading being unemployed when I finish uni - especially as all my experience is in retail so the job centre will just tell me to get a job in a shop, which I find mind numbingly dull and detrimental to my mental health...

So many companies are doing advanced recruitment.... my bank are even recruiting for 2015...... you can apply for a job before you graduate!
So many companies are doing advanced recruitment.... my bank are even recruiting for 2015...... you can apply for a job before you graduate!

I've applied for many, I know that I can apply whilst still at uni.
I've applied for many, I know that I can apply whilst still at uni.

You just have to keep hanging in there doing 5-10 job apps a day isn't hard. it is soul destroying, but the rewards outweigh the dole! Also it gives you something to do....
Reply 15
Original post by BrandoMike

*You are

And picking someone out because of a simple grammatical error is just the weakest attempt to attack what someone is saying. People do that when they can't return the argument and so try to pick on something that is completely irrelevant. Brilliant!
*You are

I would treat it as an outbound call, like with companies like Brook Street, Reed, Tate, there individual Recruitment Consultants, they have phone numbers and names. I would call them up individually and speak to them beforehand and then email them pretend I don't have their email details etc.... then get it over the phone.....chase it up a few days later VIOLA..... so easy...... even now I still apply for job in a new job,lol..... you always have to look for better paid opportunities.

Linkedin is so useful chasing up recruitment consultants!
(edited 10 years ago)
You just have to keep hanging in there doing 5-10 job apps a day isn't hard. it is soul destroying, but the rewards outweigh the dole! Also it gives you something to do....

It is hard when I have a dissertation to write, two posters to finish, three exams to sit, three presentations to give and other random bits and bobs.

To do an application well enough to get a job you can't just half arse it, you have to actually put some thought and effort into it.
It is hard when I have a dissertation to write, two posters to finish, three exams to sit, three presentations to give and other random bits and bobs.

To do an application well enough to get a job you can't just half arse it, you have to actually put some thought and effort into it.

True say, prioritise your uni stuff first, but just remember, there is always someone more hungrier then you out there! So you just have to find a balance.

Aim to do twice what your JSAg says , make sure you have several HUNDRED live entries on UJM, have all 5 cv slots on UJM filled with a generalist CV and 4 sector focused CVs... Be prepared to sign up qith agencies - yes you might get infrequent shifts to begin with but show a good attitude to both the workplaces and staff at the agency and you'll find yourself in an ongoing role or booked for the whole week at a time...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending