The Student Room Group

JSA Personal Advisor out to get me?

Scroll to see replies

I was on JSA but fortunately all my advisers were pretty nice. There was the situation where they tried forcing me to apply for jobs I wasn't qualified to do, and when I pointed it out to them they acted as if I was deliberately trying to avoid getting work. How I'm I meant to be a courier when I don't even have a driving license? Also got caught in a bureaucratic loop hole where neither the jobs agency I was assigned nor the job centre looked at my applications, neither side cared and I was just treated as if I was the others burden. A4E were really useless, although not as bad as the job centre. They just set up their office and didn't have a clue where to start. Although the young job adviser I was assigned was quite friendly, and somewhat helpful overall the experience was a bit shoddy. If you feel you have been unfairly sanctioned go see the Citizen's Advice Bureau, they are usually pretty good at trying to sort things out. Aside from that I'd advise you to look outside of the directgov jobs website, plenty of other websites exists, and personally hand in CVs to smaller businesses. I understand your situation though, my town had a similar unemployment issue. Took me 5 months to even get an interview which was depressing. Just keep at it and have a positive attitude.
I am so angry with most of these silly comments on this page. Firstly, I have just graduated from uni with a 2.1 degree. Before that, finished college with a distinction. I'm also a lone parent with four children after my husband left me for another woman seven years ago. When my youngest went into full time education, I decided to make something of my life hence education with outstanding grades. After applying for hundreds of jobs a week with no luck, I signed on the dole 6 weeks ago (and I can assure you I'm not lazy or sit on my arse all day) Since then, I've had two job interviews and secured both jobs. One as a substitute teacher (to gain work experience prior to doing my teacher training) and the other as a bar person. My bar job starts this Monday. I went into the job centre yesterday after taking my children camping in Cornwall and also to see what help I can get entering back into work. The receptionist (on third floor Brittania house in hull) spoke to me like something she had just stepped in because I'd supposedly missed an appointment (I'd never received no letter). To cut a long story short, I ended up handing my signing on book to the ground floor staff to demand they sign me off there and then. I don't come into that place to be spoken to like crap. I'm better than the bloody 72 pound pw. I will survive somehow, you always do. I was advised on the phone to go in today and explain that I'd messed up the dates of my holiday, which is why I missed appointment. I did as I was asked and spoke to a really nice woman. I then asked her if I could speak to someone to see what I could be entitled to as I was starting work on Monday. I was send back to third floor and spoken to like a child once again by the receptionist. All I asked was to speak to someone who could advise me on what I could be entitled to when entering back into work. She again made things hard for me, refusing me access to an advisor as she needed a letter of proof from my employer that I'm starting work. Why would I sign off the bloody dole if I didn't have a job? I was so angry, storming out after saying: 'all you've done is treat me like **** !!!!' From a high position, weeks ago, full of ambition, success and motivation with drive and determination, I've been reduced to a scrounging nobody. All I've done is cry since I arrived home today, feeling that I'm going mad. But I'm a strong Person, I'll pick myself up and regain my self-esteem. However, there are people out there who need the confidence to get back into work, after leaving an abusive relationship etc. No one asks to be put in their situation. I cannot believe the ignorance and illiterate comments from people that don't know what they are talking about. No words will ever describe what a disgrace you are to society. Only small minded people will ever stereotype everyone in the dole as lazy and unwilling to work. Look up the attitudes towards the poor law and workhouses, I see a very similar attitude coming we're. This is the twenty first century for god's sake. Besides, pure class comes from intelligence and not stupidity!!!!
And that person that said: six months unemployed, you must be doing something wrong. I'm completely speechless!!!
Reply 63
I have been pushed by my advisor to apply for minimum wage jobs and forget about applying for jobs that are related to my degree. However, competition for low paid hourly jobs is fierce as any Tom, Dick and Harry can do those types of jobs without any qualification. So I went ahead and applied for those jobs but haven't even been successful.
I then ignored their advice and began applying for jobs that are related to my degree to which I have been getting interviews lately. So some JSA advisors are useless as hell
Original post by MUN123
I have been pushed by my advisor to apply for minimum wage jobs and forget about applying for jobs that are related to my degree. However, competition for low paid hourly jobs is fierce as any Tom, Dick and Harry can do those types of jobs without any qualification. So I went ahead and applied for those jobs but haven't even been successful.
I then ignored their advice and began applying for jobs that are related to my degree to which I have been getting interviews lately. So some JSA advisors are useless as hell

I've not had the best experience for a similar reason.

Been on JSA for about 5 weeks simply as free money whilst i look for a graduate role, two weeks ago i accepted a job for October but i can stay on JSA until then and all i have to do is "continue to look for a better job" (which to be fair, i am doing because you never know!).

My adviser, during the second meeting i believe, told me i had to apply for a "paraplanner" job, i had no idea what it was and it stated essential criteria as previous paraplanning experience and some form of paraplanning diploma so it seemed like a waste of time to me. I came in the next week with other successful applications, noting on the website the paraplanner job "doesnt match my skills", and essentially got a polite earful about how it could stop my job seekers claim and she, to what i understand, started the process to enter that into the system...

After a polite discussion with a manager, i have switched times and thus advisers.
BrandoMike
Some people will never understand.
Let's just hope they get the same treatment.
i run my own business, so im not unemployed, and i feel i have to say this.... you are a ****.
You Either have a pretty good job or you're living comfortably off mommy and daddy's money. Yes there could be loads of jobs out there that are outside your field but please explain to me how it would benefit your CV applying for a cleaning position when you spent 3 years studying engineering for example. You know the old saying if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? Please do as it recommends because your input is utterly pointless and moronic.
Original post by SloaneRanger
"Cry me, cry me a river", when they advise people to make a certain number of job searches, like 10 per week or whatever it is. That doesn't mean you stick to it, there are so many jobs out there. If you really wanted a job, outside of the field of your degree, plenty of opportunity to do so. Theres nothing wrong with a cleaners job, leaflet distributer, waiter...... and whatever happened to work trials/volunteering.....

https://www.gov.uk/jobcentre-plus-help-for-recruiters/work-trials

You must have a pretty good job or are living comfortably off mommy and daddy's money. Either way you have no idea what you are talking about. I not knocking being a cleaner as a job it's an honest living, but explain to how working as one in any way helps your CV if you spent 3years studying engineering for example? You know the old saying "if you don't have anything nice to a day don't say anything at all"? Please heed it, because your input is unnecessary, unfriendly and moronic
2015 and still feeding the trolls
Original post by damien669
You must have a pretty good job or are living comfortably off mommy and daddy's money. Either way you have no idea what you are talking about. I not knocking being a cleaner as a job it's an honest living, but explain to how working as one in any way helps your CV if you spent 3years studying engineering for example? You know the old saying "if you don't have anything nice to a day don't say anything at all"? Please heed it, because your input is unnecessary, unfriendly and moronic

the simple fact of having a job and demonstrating the behaviours and values necessary to keep a job instead of being a whinging arrogant fool who considers them 'above' honest hard work . If any graduate thinks they are going to be walking into a job where they will be able to sit back and dish out orders from day o nthe basis of their degree they are seriously deluded
Just deal with the lowlife running the jobcentre. You wouldn't choose to work in a jobcentre unless you are a total useless ****head...
Original post by BobTheBuilder2
Just deal with the lowlife running the jobcentre. You wouldn't choose to work in a jobcentre unless you are a total useless ****head...

I'm sure OP appreciates the advice that was asked for 2 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes an online job application can take more than an hour. Are there fifty hours in the day?
Reply 74
Original post by Dora1234
Sometimes an online job application can take more than an hour. Are there fifty hours in the day?

Someone in work is contracted to do 38+hrs/week

30 job applications a week should be sufficient...
Reply 75
Original post by Quady

Shut the **** up. The poster say there isn't 50 hours in a day you tory shagging prick.
Reply 76
Original post by ChavLad
Shut the **** up. The poster say there isn't 50 hours in a day you tory shagging prick.

A second new memeber, how interesting :biggrin:

I said 30 applications a week should be sufficient. 50 a day would be a bit OTT

*awaits another new member to respond*
Just get in to crime. Nothing good really comes out of doing min. wage jobs if you arent polish (especially doing it f/t). Better to get a shot of adrenaline in your life and live off yer wits.
Original post by Quady

The difference being someone in work is (at least somewhat) properly remunerated for their time...

Also there are not 30 jobs per week available in your average British town. Even if there were it would be a total waste of time and money on all sides forcing the claimant to apply for them all as he will probably not be qualified for many of them.

Maybe you can make there be 30 jobs a week by filling the Universal Jobmatch website up with fakes, duplicates, scams, personal detail harvesting operations and maybe the odd zero hour contract.

Indeed this seems to be a state of affairs the DWP are quite happy with - and STILL there are five times as many vacancies as claimants.
Reply 79
Original post by scrotgrot
The difference being someone in work is (at least somewhat) properly remunerated for their time...

Also there are not 30 jobs per week available in your average British town. Even if there were it would be a total waste of time and money on all sides forcing the claimant to apply for them all as he will probably not be qualified for many of them.

Maybe you can make there be 30 jobs a week by filling the Universal Jobmatch website up with fakes, duplicates, scams, personal detail harvesting operations and maybe the odd zero hour contract.

Indeed this seems to be a state of affairs the DWP are quite happy with - and STILL there are five times as many vacancies as claimants.

I was only commenting on the number of job applications that could be done in a week - given they say applications can take an hour. 30 applications a week would be way more than enough I think, just pointing out that isn't an unreasonable amount of time to be taken up by someone without a full time job.

Sure, so it'd take less than 38 hours? So its even easier?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending