The Student Room Group

Question about student finance - someone please help!

Hi guysss,

I've recently applied for student finance - I had a lot of problems with it and couldn't do it sooner. I've now received my declaration form and was told that I'd be getting my payment by the 7th January. However, I was also due to receive some at the start of last semester, on the 24th September, except I hadn't submitted my application then. Does that mean I'll get that sum of money of top of what I'm getting on the 7th?

Also, how long does it take them to sort out the declaration form, check with your uni that you're a student there and give you your money?

Any help much appreciated! x
(edited 11 years ago)
Bump
Reply 2
You should get both payments together. Either way, you'll get last terms money and won't lose any of what money you should have.
Original post by OU Student
You should get both payments together. Either way, you'll get last terms money and won't lose any of what money you should have.

Ah that's great, thank you! :smile: So even if I submitted the application after the date I was due to receive the first sum I'll still get it along with the amount I'm due to get on the 7th?

Also, do you have any idea how long it will take them to sort out my declaration form and check with my uni that I'm a student there? It says the money's due on the 7th but I only sent my declaration form today. Will I still get it on the 7th?

Thanks for your help :smile: x
Reply 4
Usually gets back dated unless the course officially started in January.
Original post by tamimi
Usually gets back dated unless the course officially started in January.

Ah that's good... the thing is it says they won't give you the money until they've received the declaration form and checked with your uni that you go there... I only sent the declaration form today so surely all that will take longer than 3 days?
Reply 6
Original post by LittleMissCurious
Ah that's good... the thing is it says they won't give you the money until they've received the declaration form and checked with your uni that you go there... I only sent the declaration form today so surely all that will take longer than 3 days?

It will take a week or two at the very least. (Purely depends on how proactive your uni is and how busy SFE is at the time)

But you'll still get your money in the end.

I had a similar issue. My payment was a whole month late but I got it in the end. It all gets back dated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tamimi
It will take a week or two at the very least. (Purely depends on how proactive your uni is and how busy SFE is at the time)

But you'll still get your money in the end.

I had a similar issue. My payment was a whole month late but I got it in the end. It all gets back dated.

Oh really? :/ Someone else told me they got theirs a couple of days after they sent the declaration form! Really hope it doesn't take that long :/ Why would they state the 7th January as the due date for my money to arrive?
Reply 8
Oh really? :/ Someone else told me they got theirs a couple of days after they sent the declaration form! Really hope it doesn't take that long :/ Why would they state the 7th January as the due date for my money to arrive?

The date they set is the date that they would pay you if everything was sorted out on time.
Original post by OU Student
The date they set is the date that they would pay you if everything was sorted out on time.

And is it likely it will? I've already been enrolled at my uni since September so does that mean my uni can confirm it quicker? How long did yours take from sending your declaration form?
Reply 10

It depends on:
- How soon the uni sends the declaration.
- How soon it gets to SFE.
- How soon SFE deal with it.
- How soon the bank clears the payment.

They state a date because they are required to. But if you read the contract, it does state that the dates and the payments are subject to change and should only be used as a guideline to indicate which payment corresponds to which term.
Original post by tamimi
It depends on:
- How soon the uni sends the declaration.
- How soon it gets to SFE.
- How soon SFE deal with it.
- How soon the bank clears the payment.

They state a date because they are required to. But if you read the contract, it does state that the dates and the payments are subject to change and should only be used as a guideline to indicate which payment corresponds to which term.

Ok, thanks! Just hope I get it sooner rather than later. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending