The Student Room Group

C4 Connected R.O.C.

Hi I need help understanding this problem posed by my Edexcel maths textbook.
'Fluid flows out of a cylindrical tank with constant cross section. At time t minutes t>0, the volume of fluid remaining in the tank is Vcm3Vcm^3. The rate at which the fluid flows in m cubed per/minute is proportional to the square root of V. Show that the depth h metres of fluid in the tank satisfies the differential equation. dhdt=kh\frac{dh}{dt} = -k \sqrt h, where k is a positive constant'.

Okay feel free to correct if I'm wrong but here's what I understand so far.
The volume of a cylinder is given by the formula V=πr2hV = \pi r^2 h
Since the rate at which volume is decreasing is proportional to the volume of the cylinder, I can state my known derivative to be dVdt=k(πr2h) \frac{dV}{dt} = -k \sqrt (\pi r^2 h)

I'm looking for dhdt \frac{dh}{dt} so I can rewrite by the chain rule as dhdt=dhdV×dVdt \frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{dh}{dV} \times \frac{dV}{dt}

Ok dhdV=1πr2 \frac{dh}{dV} = \frac{1}{\pi r^2}

As you can see my attempt is just an amateur recipe for disaster. :frown:
Original post by sertobe
Hi I need help understanding this problem posed by my Edexcel maths textbook.
'Fluid flows out of a cylindrical tank with constant cross section. At time t minutes t>0, the volume of fluid remaining in the tank is Vcm3Vcm^3. The rate at which the fluid flows in m cubed per/minute is proportional to the square root of V. Show that the depth h metres of fluid in the tank satisfies the differential equation. dhdt=kh\frac{dh}{dt} = -k \sqrt h, where k is a positive constant'.

Okay feel free to correct if I'm wrong but here's what I understand so far.
The volume of a cylinder is given by the formula V=πr2hV = \pi r^2 h
Since the rate at which volume is decreasing is proportional to the volume of the cylinder, I can state my known derivative to be dVdt=k(πr2h) \frac{dV}{dt} = -k \sqrt (\pi r^2 h)

I'm looking for dhdt \frac{dh}{dt} so I can rewrite by the chain rule as dhdt=dhdV×dVdt \frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{dh}{dV} \times \frac{dV}{dt}

Ok dhdV=1πr2 \frac{dh}{dV} = \frac{1}{\pi r^2}

As you can see my attempt is just an amateur recipe for disaster. :frown:

right

so dhdt=dVdt×dhdV\frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{dV}{dt} \times \frac{dh}{dV}

dVdt=kV=kπr2h\frac{dV}{dt} = -kV = -k\sqrt{\pi r^{2} h}

dhdV=1πr2\frac{dh}{dV} = \frac{1}{\pi r^{2}}

what do you get when you multiply them together?
Reply 2
Original post by boner in jeans
right

so dhdt=dVdt×dhdV\frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{dV}{dt} \times \frac{dh}{dV}

dVdt=kV=kπr2h\frac{dV}{dt} = -kV = -k\sqrt{\pi r^{2} h}

dhdV=1πr2\frac{dh}{dV} = \frac{1}{\pi r^{2}}

what do you get when you multiply them together?

urm I get kπr2hπr2 \frac{-k\sqrt{\pi r^{2} h}}{\pi r^{2}} which looks nothing like the answer. :s-smilie:
Original post by sertobe
urm I get kπr2hπr2 \frac{-k\sqrt{\pi r^{2} h}}{\pi r^{2}} which looks nothing like the answer. :s-smilie:

good, now you can simplify that

kπr2hπr2πr2-k \frac{\sqrt{\pi r^{2}} \sqrt{h}}{\sqrt{\pi r^{2}} \sqrt{\pi r^{2}}}

and you also know that the cross section is a constant
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sertobe
x

The question itself says that the cross-sectional area is constant. Therefore, V= A*h can be used (where A is a constant are), instead of V=(pi)*r^2*h ("r" is a variable).

So dV/dh = A, and carry on to find dh/dt through chain-rule as you did.

One more thing, when finding dV/dt, use a different letter instead of "k" for the constant term, such as "c", because the question asks you to prove that k=something.

Hope that helps, but if you are still stuck, I would be happy to post the method :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ezioaudi77
The question itself says that the cross-sectional area is constant. Therefore, V= A*h can be used (where A is a constant are), instead of V=(pi)*r^2*h ("r" is a variable).

So dV/dh = A, and carry on to find dh/dt through chain-rule as you did.

One more thing, when finding dV/dt, use a different letter instead of "k" for the constant term, such as "c", because the question asks you to prove that k=something.

Hope that helps, but if you are still stuck, I would be happy to post the method :smile:

Sorry to be persistent, but I don't know what you mean. I didn't treat r as a variable because the radius of a cylinder is a constant. I looked up the definition of cross section but the explanations were too complicated to relate to my problem, I'd really appreciate a simplified explanation. (Based on this problem, and in general)
Reply 6
Original post by sertobe
Sorry to be persistent, but I don't know what you mean. I didn't treat r as a variable because the radius of a cylinder is a constant. I looked up the definition of cross section but the explanations were too complicated to relate to my problem, I'd really appreciate a simplified explanation. (Based on this problem, and in general)

First, read this if you are not sure about cross-sections of cylinders.
Usually rr is a variable in πr2h\pi{r^2}{h}, which means as Volume or Area increases, rr increases as well.

But, in this case, the cross-section of the cylinder (πr2\pi{r^2}) is constant, which means πr2\pi{r^2} is the same for any value of VV that the cylinder takes, so hh is the only variable for V=πr2hV = \pi{r^2}{h}.

I asked you to substitute AA for πr2\pi{r^2} in V=πr2hV = \pi{r^2}{h}, because it helps you to remember that AA is a constant here. Also, you wouldn't accidentally differentiate rr when finding the dVdh\frac{dV}{dh} of VV.

Now, you have to find dhdt\frac{dh}{dt}. You can use either AA or πr2\pi{r^2}, but because you seem to get confused when using AA, I will use πr2\pi{r^2}.

Remember, rr is a constant here.

V=πr2hV = \pi{r^2}{h}

dVdh=πr2\frac{dV}{dh}= \pi{r^2}

When finding dVdt\frac{dV}{dt}, you have used kk as the constant term. You can use this usually, but you cannot use it here, because at the end of the question you have to use kk again. So it is suggested that you use any letter other than kk or other letters used here. I will use cc.

dVdt=cV=cπr2h=c(πr)h\frac{dV}{dt}= -c \sqrt V = -c \sqrt {\pi{r^2}{h}} = -c (\sqrt {\pi} r) \sqrt {h}

Therefore, dhdt=dVdt×dhdV=c(πr)h×1πr2=chπr=kh\frac{dh}{dt}= \frac{dV}{dt} \times \frac{dh}{dV} = -c (\sqrt {\pi} r) \sqrt {h} \times \frac {1}{\pi{r^2}} = \frac {-c \sqrt h}{\sqrt {\pi} r} = -k \sqrt {h}

Now you have found the constant term kk, where k=cπrk = \frac{-c}{\sqrt {\pi} r}

This way seems complicated, which is why AA should be used for πr2\pi{r^2}.

Sorry if the explanation is too simple :colone:. Anyway, hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest