The Student Room Group

Structural techniques in a novel help please :)

Hello,

just wondering if anyone could please answer some of my questions below? Thanks in advance

- Is splitting a novel into several parts, a structural technique? If so, is there a name for such a technique?
- Are hyphens in a sentence considered a structural technique? Is there a name ?
- Is there a name for the below technique and is it structural?
The protagonists in the novel confess there love for each other at the end of 'part one' of the novel. Part two begins with an exploration of one of the protagonist's life leading up to that moment. Thereafter, the moment of the two lovers' professing their love for each other recommences. Is such a technique structural and if so what is it called?
- What other structural techniques are there?
- When the speech of anonymous people enters the narrative, specifically with regard to the protagonist, for example, Eliza passed through college a chameleon. 'Eliza? I'm trying to think... ahh yes that girl, was a quiet one'. Is it structural tech? What is it called?

Last request, know any good links for language, form and structure techniques?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by cakefreak
Hello,

just wondering if anyone could please answer some of my questions below? Thanks in advance

- Is splitting a novel into several parts, a structural technique? If so, is there a name for such a technique?

Yes, chapters...

Read for structural and narrative techniques:

Vogler, Christopher - The Writer's Journey

Joseph Campbell - The Hero With A Thousand Faces

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hooj
Yes, chapters...

Read for structural and narrative techniques:

Vogler, Christopher - The Writer's Journey

Joseph Campbell - The Hero With A Thousand Faces

No not chapters, when a book has chapters and is then further divided into 'parts' as in the case of Maurice by E.M Forster
Reply 3
No not chapters, when a book has chapters and is then further divided into 'parts' as in the case of Maurice by E.M Forster

Oh like Part 1 Chapter 1?
Reply 4
Original post by Hooj
Oh like Part 1 Chapter 1?

Yes
Hello,

- Are hyphens in a sentence considered a structural technique? Is there a name ?
- Is there a name for the below technique and is it structural?
The protagonists in the novel confess there love for each other at the end of 'part one' of the novel. Part two begins with an exploration of one of the protagonist's life leading up to that moment. Thereafter, the moment of the two lovers' professing their love for each other recommences. Is such a technique structural and if so what is it called?
- What other structural techniques are there?
- When the speech of anonymous people enters the narrative, specifically with regard to the protagonist, for example, Eliza passed through college a chameleon. 'Eliza? I'm trying to think... ahh yes that girl, was a quiet one'. Is it structural tech? What is it called?

Last request, know any good links for language, form and structure techniques?

Thanks in advance :smile:

1) Fragmented narrative. Yes, this is a structural technique.
2) Fragmented syntax/ fragmented speech. This is more of a linguistic technique.
3) Non-linear narrative. Yes this is structural.
4) - -
5) - -

Largely, structural techniques are techniques on how the narrative is arranged in regards to time, place, viewpoint.
Reply 6
Yes it doesn't really have a name but the righter separates the text into paragraphs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending