The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Anyone else feel somewhat... unprepared?

Hi, I just accepted my offer for law (the bog-standard one, not with german or whatever) for entry in September, so just have to wait for my accomodation forms and stuff to arrive.

Thing is, I'm seeing all these deadlines and forms to fill in, but I don't really know what I'm signing up for. I've taken this whole UCAS process rather half-heartedly as I don't really feel ready for (or really care about...) going to uni, nor do I want to take a gap year... but it's only a few months away now so I think I better get my ass in gear. I've decided a start would be to get up to London and visit something next month... :rolleyes:

I know we don't know anything about our accomodation arrangements until early September and are expected to move in a day or two before we start, which is apparently Mon 25th Sep, but isn't that ridiculously short notice? Do we get to see the accomodation before we accept it? Will we actually get shown around when we arrive? Taken to the departments and stuff?

Maybe they're obvious questions but I'm really clueless. Guess I just need some reassurance?
To be honest, most of accomodation is very very similar to the other accomodation. What sets them apart is usually the location/distance to UCL, good pub, supermarket etc.

Generally, you're meant to see UCL before you come here 'proper' for an open day, interview etc. but if you haven't (which happens for a lot of international students for example) then, you don't get shown around as such. Sure, you can do the self-guided tour or like the rest of us, just find your own way around :smile: I discover shortcuts even now after two years...

Anyway, you'll find your way and in Law, have a great time :smile:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/lawsociety/firstyear/mediagallery/mediagallery.htm

Check out the video for freshers' fortnight to get a glimpse of what awaits :cool:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
President_Ben
To be honest, most of accomodation is very very similar to the other accomodation. What sets them apart is usually the location/distance to UCL, good pub, supermarket etc.

Generally, you're meant to see UCL before you come here 'proper' for an open day, interview etc. but if you haven't (which happens for a lot of international students for example) then, you don't get shown around as such. Sure, you can do the self-guided tour or like the rest of us, just find your own way around :smile: I discover shortcuts even now after two years...

Check out the video for freshers' fortnight to get a glimpse of what awaits :cool:

Hehe thanks. Hope UCL's open in the summer so I can go mince around for myself.
Reply 3
well, I accepted my offer for law (though it is with german law) two weeks ago, but still feel the same as you do; I have no idea about WHAT I am going to do or what will happen to me and though I normally like this sort of stuff, I am really some kind of scared about this whole uni thing in a foreingn country with no clue if I'll fit in and all he other things
Reply 4
Pinguin
well, I accepted my offer for law (though it is with german law) two weeks ago, but still feel the same as you do; I have no idea about WHAT I am going to do or what will happen to me and though I normally like this sort of stuff, I am really some kind of scared about this whole uni thing in a foreingn country with no clue if I'll fit in and all he other things

I know what you mean, I'm from the U.S. and hopefully will be attending UCL next year but have no idea when UCL orientation for international students is. On the website it says it's in January which is obviously wrong, i dont even know when i have to be there by. Do we go early? Also, i know they have freshers fortnight but is that before or after the start of term? I'm so confused. Does anyone know the answers?
Reply 5
President_Ben

I've seen you post that link countless times but never actually clicked on it.

Just did.. and WOW. I'm stunned! How could any lawyer not look forward to uni? :p:
swim730885
I know what you mean, I'm from the U.S. and hopefully will be attending UCL next year but have no idea when UCL orientation for international students is. On the website it says it's in January which is obviously wrong, i dont even know when i have to be there by. Do we go early? Also, i know they have freshers fortnight but is that before or after the start of term? I'm so confused. Does anyone know the answers?

There are two international orientations. One for people who arrive in term 1 (September). Another for those who arrive in term 2 (January).

Traditionally, international orientation starts the Wednesday before term starts.

Term starts with Freshers week. Teaching starts the week after. Week of September 25th = Freshers. First week of October you have lectures etc.
Reply 7
ah, so we already have our accomodation and so on? I thought we should go to london in early september for fresher's, thanks for the information
Reply 8
President_Ben

flamin nora! that looks mental, hope the medics are comparable :cool:
Medics are comparable, yes. But the lawyers are on top, for sure.
Reply 10
President_Ben
There are two international orientations. One for people who arrive in term 1 (September). Another for those who arrive in term 2 (January).

Traditionally, international orientation starts the Wednesday before term starts.

Term starts with Freshers week. Teaching starts the week after. Week of September 25th = Freshers. First week of October you have lectures etc.

thanks! that makes alot more sense!

Latest

Trending

Trending