The Student Room Group

Chrisateen's Blog - A Female aiming to Build Muscle

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Motorbiker
Why did you not increase the weight on Squats or leg press?

You made the reps last time so surely you should add weight?

Because I felt that if I increase it any further my technique will suffer. For example my squating could be more deeper and I think I might stay at around 60kg until I can get into a very deep squat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
I have decided to learn the mandatory figure poses so that from now on my progress pictures will be exactly the same each time.

I saw the following video on youtube which is what I am going to use to practice

[video="youtube;XDZetHtrcek"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZetHtrcek[/video]

However the poses are really hard to do especially the last 3 and can be quite painful to hold after a while. Plus I have no grace or co-ordination so when I do them I look awkward doing them especially in my face. Hopefully with a bit of practice I get better than them.
Reply 42
Today was a back day

Parallel Pull ups 3 reps then 2 reps
Deadlifts 75kg (3 x 9 reps )
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 55kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Lat Pull Down 47lbs ( 3 x 10 reps )
High Rows 60kg ( 3 x 10 reps )

Went out this morning to the shops so by the time I got to the gym I was a bit tried and wasn't too much in the mood to lift weights

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chrisateen
However the poses are really hard to do especially the last 3 and can be quite painful to hold after a while. Plus I have no grace or co-ordination so when I do them I look awkward doing them especially in my face. Hopefully with a bit of practice I get better than them.

From chatting to a few guys who have actually done shows, this seems to be a pretty endemic problem. I think nearly everyone is in the same boat. Practice makes perfect :smile:

I can only assume that having a better mind-muscle connection from posing will help your other training.
Reply 44
My legs workout on Thursday

Squats 60kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Press 145kg (10 reps 2 x 8 reps )
Calve Raises 26kg (3x 8 reps)
Leg Curls 35kg (2x 10 then 8 reps )

Squats I could have also increased the weights but I don't think my form when squating is deep enough. I have tried squating with no weight and I still have the same problem. I think next time I am just going to go ahead and increase the weights.

Calve Raises was increased a bit too early so I may decrease the weights on that as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
My legs workout on Thursday

Squats 60kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Press 145kg (10 reps 2 x 8 reps )
Calve Raises 26kg (3x 8 reps)
Leg Curls 35kg (2x 10 then 8 reps )

Squats I could have also increased the weights but I don't think my form when squating is deep enough. I have tried squating with no weight and I still have the same problem. I think next time I am just going to go ahead and increase the weights.

Calve Raises was increased a bit too early so I may decrease the weights on that as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ever taken a video of yourself squatting to see what depth you're hitting?

Also, what's your flexibility like? I used to find it hard to get below parellel without my back rounding spo i got Oly lifting shoes and get now get ATG nicely...

As long as you're getting parellel then start increasing that weight...
Ok I decided to do a blog for the transformation and if this blog goes well I may end up doing one permanently. If people are reading the title yes I am female and yes I am Bulking and yes I want to gain muscle. Please also note that bulking is not going to make me look like a bodybuilder on steriods.

Background Information

A bit of background info I use to be 18st 8lbs and in Oct 2010 - Oct 2011 I went down to around 11st

Before Pic

Spoiler

Me at 11st

Spoiler

However even though I was happy with my weight I was not happy with my body fat so I decided in September to start a bulk and this is how I look now

Me at 12st 5lbs (my Transformation before photo)

Spoiler

(See next post for more...)

Hey :smile: Wow! You are my new role model. You have pretty much the same figure that im aiming for!

I also noticed we are doing the same workout! I have been on mine for about 2 weeks now and i am noticing some muscle difference in my legs and arms.

Just a question, how long before you noticed results?

And also what sort of foods are you eating?
Reply 47
Ever taken a video of yourself squatting to see what depth you're hitting?

Also, what's your flexibility like? I used to find it hard to get below parellel without my back rounding spo i got Oly lifting shoes and get now get ATG nicely...

As long as you're getting parellel then start increasing that weight...

Problem is getting someone I know to film me whilst I squat. However if and when I got to the gym with my friend I will get her to film for me.

I did yesterday try putting plates underneat my heal and doing squats with a kettlebell in my hand and I managed to squat a lot deeper (I'll explain more in my next couple of posts).

However you are right about increasing the weight and if I am feeling as strong when I start losing weight I will add more to my squat
Reply 48
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Hey :smile: Wow! You are my new role model. You have pretty much the same figure that im aiming for!

I also noticed we are doing the same workout! I have been on mine for about 2 weeks now and i am noticing some muscle difference in my legs and arms.

Just a question, how long before you noticed results?

And also what sort of foods are you eating?

I can't really say as my goals have changed so much in the last 2 years however it does take time to noticed a difference.

In terms of foods I hate eating the same thing over and over again so all I do is set a goal of eating 2400 calories and 150g of protien every day (log my foods using myfitnesspal). However that is going to change from tomorrow as my goal now is to lose the bodyfat gained on this bulk
Reply 49
Yesterday was a back day and I did the following

Parallel Pull Ups 3 reps (I am really hoping as I cut this would increase to around 6 reps)
Deadlifts 80kg 8,6,6 (Reps suffered from doing 1 rep max before hand)
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 55kg (2 x 10 reps) 60kg 10 reps
Lat Pull Downs 52kg (3 x 8 reps)
High Rows 60kg (2 x 10 reps) the 65kg 8 reps

Happy some of my lifts when up but deadlifts suffered as a result of finding out what my 1 rep max was

I also did some kettlebell squats with plates underneath my heals and I was able to go into a proper deep sqaut. However when I put the bar on my back it was a different story all together. So I have decided to start including squats will low weights and do as many reps as possible as part of my cardio routine when cutting and hopefully over time I can do them without the plates underneath the heal and with heavy weights
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by In One Ear
Just realised you now make the 3rd girl on TSR who is out-squatting me :colondollar:.

EDIT:
realised pretty much all the girls with blogs in the fitness section out squat me so that makes you more like the 5th/6th.

I squat 60 (given that is what the OP does I assume that is above you?) so you can add me to the list if you like :tongue:

OP that's really impressive!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Ok today is the last day of my bulk and from tomorrow I start to cut. I would have posted pics today but I am going to wait till the end of the contest to post post bulk pics.

Post Bulk weight & measurements

Weight: 12st 12lbs :frown:
Hips: 38.5in
Waist: 31in
Bust: 33in

The measurements are a good sign as I think my measurements was higher when I was this weight before

1 Rep Max

(i did this yesterday at the gym)

Deadlift 115kg
Bench Press 55kg
Squats 85kg

So pleased with the deadlift 1 rep max even though my usual deadlifts suffered afterwards. I did managed to get up to 90kg with my squats but I felt I didn't squat deep enough for it to count :frown:

Goals for Cutting

In the ideal world I would like to get down to around 11st and be around 16% bodyfat whether that will happen in reality I am not sure. All I am going to do is continue to lose weight until August or when I feel I am lean enough. I hope that as my cut my lower abs come out and my legs look lean as these are my two main problem areas when it comes to losing fat

In order to do this I am for the next week going to cut my calories to around 1800 calories. I then might increase it depending on how I feel or if I think I am losing weight too fast.

Routine

Weight routine will remain exactly the same. I will include cardio but this time I want to focus on cardio that incorporate me using my bodyweight or using weights so things like P90x, kettlebells e.t.c would be ideal. I will do some running but I am going to try hard to not run too much so that I don't end up losing muscle.

Final comments about my bulk

I really felt that my bulk did work for me. Even though I gained weight too quickly and only managed to do it for 4 months instead of 6 months I am glad I gained weight quickly as it made me realise how much weight I could tolerate in one bulk cycle. My lifts went up quite a lot however whether I can sustain the weights I am currently lifting I am not sure and nervous about losing strength on my cut. I also notice that my body looks different and leaner compared to when I was this weight before. I can still see my top four abs in certain lighting (in fact sometimes I can see my abs through my clothes still), my arms look stronger, upper back still very lean and legs look more muscular. I am so far glad I bulked and I am one step closer to looking lean and strong
(edited 11 years ago)
Problem is getting someone I know to film me whilst I squat. However if and when I got to the gym with my friend I will get her to film for me.

I did yesterday try putting plates underneat my heal and doing squats with a kettlebell in my hand and I managed to squat a lot deeper (I'll explain more in my next couple of posts).

However you are right about increasing the weight and if I am feeling as strong when I start losing weight I will add more to my squat

I've never had anyone else film me. I just put phone leaning against the wall, use front facing camera, aim it at the rack then just hit go.

Buy some shoes, They're reasonably priced and will last for years. Mine are 1 year old and still look new.

I would add it if you make all the reps but i'm greedy for gains...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by redferry
I squat 60 (given that is what the OP does I assume that is above you?) so you can add me to the list if you like :tongue:

OP that's really impressive!!

Last workout I did 72.5kg 5x5 basically ATG with a little left in the tank so I think I can be saved adding you to the list :tongue:. I just made that comment when I was doing 65 5x5 and Chrisateen was doing 60 3x10 but I have no idea how deep every squats which makes a huge difference. I've seen a lot of people claim "past parallel" but be a good 2 inches above whereas I'm definitely 2-3 inches below parallel, I go as low as my levers allow (which is until my hams are pushed against my calves). I could probably 1 RM squat 90kg to parallel without issue.

Still relative to our genders 60kg is much more impressive , good job! :smile:.
Reply 54
Original post by In One Ear
Last workout I did 72.5kg 5x5 basically ATG with a little left in the tank so I think I can be saved adding you to the list :tongue:. I just made that comment when I was doing 65 5x5 and Chrisateen was doing 60 3x10 but I have no idea how deep every squats which makes a huge difference. I've seen a lot of people claim "past parallel" but be a good 2 inches above whereas I'm definitely 2-3 inches below parallel, I go as low as my levers allow (which is until my hams are pushed against my calves). I could probably 1 RM squat 90kg to parallel without issue.

Still relative to our genders 60kg is much more impressive , good job! :smile:.

Haha I got a PT on the cheap for a few weeks through uni and he was like 'we'll try 30...oh wait *more more more more* I think he was a little surprised being a fairly slim girl that had done very little prior wait training I could squat 55! I've since moved to 60. Think it comes from carrying over half my body weight around South Georgia for two months before Uni.

Unfortunately it does mean I have rather masculine legs, but I will roll with that over flabby I think.
Reply 55
I've never had anyone else film me. I just put phone leaning against the wall, use front facing camera, aim it at the rack then just hit go.

Buy some shoes, They're reasonably priced and will last for years. Mine are 1 year old and still look new.

I would add it if you make all the reps but i'm greedy for gains...

I have these 5 finger barefoot sort of shoes that I use to train which I heard was best for lifting as its almost as good as wearing no shoes at all and I absolutely love wearing them in the gym.

Thanks for the advice
I have these 5 finger barefoot sort of shoes that I use to train which I heard was best for lifting as its almost as good as wearing no shoes at all and I absolutely love wearing them in the gym.

Thanks for the advice

Those shoes would be awesome for stuff like deadlifting i'm sure but if you need the heel for squats which a lot of people find helpful then maybe make the investment...
Reply 57
Those shoes would be awesome for stuff like deadlifting i'm sure but if you need the heel for squats which a lot of people find helpful then maybe make the investment...

Ok I will do when I have a bit of money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Monday Session was a Chest and Shoulders day

Dips 8 reps then 2 x 6 reps
Bench Press 40kg ( 3 x 8 reps )
Shoulder Press 16kg ( 3 x 9 reps )
Upright Rows 10kg dumbells ( 2 x 10 reps ) 12kg dumbells ( 8 reps )

I then did some cardio afterwards.

First day of eating 1800 calories wasn't too bad and wasn't as hungry as I thought although towards the night I started to get hungry.

Also trying to figure out what to do for cardio as I will like to incoporate weights with them. I did do some Kettlebells but with doing weights beforehand I found it difficult to do much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Today was a back day

Parallel Pull ups 3 reps : (
Deadlifts 75kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 60kg ( 3 x 8 reps )
High Rows 65kg 9reps then 2 x 8 reps
Lat Pull Down 50lbs (3 x 9 reps)

Not been feeling good in the last few days due to TOTM. My body aches all over making going to the gym difficult and so I decided to reduce the deadlifts. I'm also starving which is making things more difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest