The Student Room Group

If I'm not approved for roaccutane what other ways are there to get rid of my acne?

I've recently reacted against the actavis lymecycline tablets that i was prescribed in November (I've stopped them now).

I started getting really bad stomach cramps, rashes, acne appearing in my legs and dry skin in certain places but this didn't happen when I was on the tetralysal brand so I'm not sure if it's to do with the brand or not O.o

If I reacted like this against the actavis lymecycline tablets would I be approved for roaccutane?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if I'm not approved?

I'm currently using the epiduo gel/ cream thing for my acne but it hasn't really made a difference over the past 2 months so far but I'm going to wait a bit longer before I try to get an appointment with my gp for something else as well as for the hc2 certificate :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CarryOn123
I'm going to wait a bit longer before I try to get an appointment with my gp for something else as well as for the hc2 certificate :smile:

I'm not much help on the acne front, sorry! But if you wanted to go to your GPs sooner and he prescribes you something, if you keep the receipt from the chemist, you can send off for a refund as soon as you get your HC2 form. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by feathergirl
I'm not much help on the acne front, sorry! But if you wanted to go to your GPs sooner and he prescribes you something, if you keep the receipt from the chemist, you can send off for a refund as soon as you get your HC2 form. :smile:

Ahah no worries :smile:
Do you know how to send the receipts to the HC2 people?
tropical creams. Ive been on accutane, but panoxyl works best for me personally.
Reply 4
Original post by Bill_Gates
tropical creams. Ive been on accutane, but panoxyl works best for me personally.

Panoxyl didn't work that well for me :frown: neither did erythromycin, duac or skinoren, I'm a very awkward person xD
Panoxyl didn't work that well for me :frown: neither did erythromycin, duac or skinoren, I'm a very awkward person xD

Theres one you can use in the shower too.
Also use simple soap to wash.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill_Gates
Theres one you can use in the shower too.
Also use simple soap to wash.

ahhh I've never heard of one that's used in the shower O.o
this is where I'm even more awkward, I can't use simple products there's something in them that I react against xD
Reply 7

Everyone with acne is awkward, I know that from personal expierience XD. The best bet would be probably try your best to be approved for roaccutane as long as you are aware of the risks and side effects of taking the drug.

It will probably take at least a month for the dermatologist unit to actually provide the roaccutane so in the meantime you can always try another method of treatment. I'm currently waiting for an appointment on February 11th to receive the roaccutane but have been taking lymecycline for the last five weeks. Roaccutane though has the best success rates bar none and over 3 in 5 users will never suffer with acne again which was the turning point for me.

Obviously if they are unable to prescribe roaccutane I'm sure other antibotics will keep it at bay to some degree but will never completely cure it as long as your hormones are still out of wack.
Reply 8
Try get something called Tazarotene
(edited 11 years ago)
Hate to throw a doom spanner in the works but I saw a documentary about roaccutane causing permanent mood changes in teenagers. Not sure if it was a bit sensationalist but if your dermatologist hasn't already brought this up i'd suggest asking about it.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Hate to throw a doom spanner in the works but I saw a documentary about roaccutane causing permanent mood changes in teenagers. Not sure if it was a bit sensationalist but if your dermatologist hasn't already brought this up i'd suggest asking about it.

It's very rare that these effects happen and the documentary in question emphasized on the negative effects that roaccutane can provide rather than the positive effects it's had on changing many peoples lives. The reality is that people that have suffered acne during life are more sensitive and almost certainly more prone to depression than a person who hasn't suffered with acne. Their is no scientific evidence to prove that roaccutane causes depression as yet.

In the case of Jesse Jones, the guy who committed suicide in the documentary, it seemed as if he had other issues in life that were unrelated to acne and may have been looking for something to blame. It could well be that life after acne wasn't as rosy as he thought it would be but who knows.

However, it is important not to remain ignorant to the possibility it could have a chance of mental side effects which is why it is important to have people around you that can be trusted to talk about anything thats on your mind and if you are feeling any side effects. It's certainly not a decision to take lightly but if you are suffering with acne for a long time you understand that sometimes the benefits outweigh the costs.
As you are female, have you tried going on the pill? That really helped some people I know.
hey all,
i had acne from 11 (year 7 I know) being at its worst during year 8 and 9 and then during year 12. I finally went on roaccutane. There are strong side effects, but I only suffered from bad pains and dry lips, but as soon as I stopped my treatment 4.5 months later, it went within 2 days.
I'd recommend it if everything else has failed or you really do have severe acne and theres the risk of scarring.
In April it'll be a year since i finished my treatment and my skin has practically clear since except an odd tiny red spot, but I think that was an insect bite.
Definitely improved my confidence :smile:
However, there is the likelihood it'll come back in your 20s or during menopause apparently.
Most of the time, people stay clear.
I have my acne was inherited, but if yours is due to hormones- I'd go for dianette

My derma told me they try to give it only when everything else has failed or if youve got really bad acne because its pretty expensive on the NHS and more importantly, there are several side effects and its a strong medication.

Hope this has helped.
Reply 13
Did you true using Panoxyl properly? So something like this:

Get an anti bacterial soap wash (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quinoderm-2808384-Face-Wash-150ml/dp/B000KHPG7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358947498&sr=8-1). Get the strongest Panoxyl you can buy (10%, or the prescription one that also has something else in (duac or something).

Use the wash in the morning. Massage, leave it in for a few mins, gently wash it off and PAT dry very carefully. Then leave your face to dry for 10 mins. Then apply as much Panoxyl you can (it says on my duac to use about 2cm for the whole face) but make sure it all rubs in. Do the same at night.

It's basically the instructions for Regimen (http://www.acne.org/regimen.html#regimen_howto) without the moisturizer.
Reply 14
Original post by Waddsy
Everyone with acne is awkward, I know that from personal expierience XD. The best bet would be probably try your best to be approved for roaccutane as long as you are aware of the risks and side effects of taking the drug.

It will probably take at least a month for the dermatologist unit to actually provide the roaccutane so in the meantime you can always try another method of treatment. I'm currently waiting for an appointment on February 11th to receive the roaccutane but have been taking lymecycline for the last five weeks. Roaccutane though has the best success rates bar none and over 3 in 5 users will never suffer with acne again which was the turning point for me.

Obviously if they are unable to prescribe roaccutane I'm sure other antibotics will keep it at bay to some degree but will never completely cure it as long as your hormones are still out of wack.

I just thought if I was getting stomach cramps and that with the lymecycline my body might not be able to handle roaccutane as I'm aware of the risks and the possibility of my body shutting down if I'm not careful.

I've been approved for it so far, I had an appointment last month then I go back on 27th March for a check up to see how I'm doing plus they've got to make sure I've lost even more weight (yay -.-) I've just got to get a blood test done in March then have my contraceptives arranged, sorted and on them, slightly annoying it's been advised that I go on two contraceptives though especially with how much they blow me up so I'm going to have to work out even more than usual -.-
Reply 15
Original post by Daniel_R
Try get something called Tazarotene

I think I've tried tazarotene, it's market name is Zorac isn't it?
Reply 16

Seen it and the doctor told me of the side effects (they have to by law now apparently) but they're not sure if it is the drug that causes the depression or another factor. I've seen the side effect first hand on my brother as well, he was on roaccutane when he was 13/14 so my family is aware of what could possibly happen during the course as well as the products to buy in preparation of the dry skin :smile:
Reply 17
Has anyone tried doxycycline? That worked really well for me, but a few days after completing my course the acne was back (this happened 3 times).

Im at a loss as to what to try next as roaccutane is a no go for me.
Reply 18
Original post by milienhaus
As you are female, have you tried going on the pill? That really helped some people I know.

Yep and it done nout, well apart from the obvious of reducing my period pains and making them regular but it also blew me up to a ridiculous weight so I think if I go back on I'll try another brand like yasmin or something as for roaccutane they've advised me going on 2 contraceptives as I'm 'sexually active' as well, the joy -.-
Reply 19
hey all,
i had acne from 11 (year 7 I know) being at its worst during year 8 and 9 and then during year 12. I finally went on roaccutane. There are strong side effects, but I only suffered from bad pains and dry lips, but as soon as I stopped my treatment 4.5 months later, it went within 2 days.
I'd recommend it if everything else has failed or you really do have severe acne and theres the risk of scarring.
In April it'll be a year since i finished my treatment and my skin has practically clear since except an odd tiny red spot, but I think that was an insect bite.
Definitely improved my confidence :smile:
However, there is the likelihood it'll come back in your 20s or during menopause apparently.
Most of the time, people stay clear.
I have my acne was inherited, but if yours is due to hormones- I'd go for dianette

My derma told me they try to give it only when everything else has failed or if youve got really bad acne because its pretty expensive on the NHS and more importantly, there are several side effects and its a strong medication.

Hope this has helped.

I've had mine since I was 11/12 as well (20 now, nearly 21) and it was at its worst in year 8/9 then calmed slightly and flarred up when I was in year 11/12 and hasn't gone down since :frown:
I've tried dianette as well but it didn't do anything for me at all and the doctor I saw suspected my acne is inherited as well as my brother was put on roaccutane was he was 13/14 years old so I'm pretty sure it's not hormonal. My doctor is annoyed I wasn't put on it any earlier though, I've already developed some scarring on my face and back cos of my acne and she said she would've put me on it at least a year ago as it is obvious some of my acne has been on my skin for a year or so and just hasn't faded or anything :/
Ahhh sounds like you had a similar experience to when my brother was on roaccutane, he had pains and dry skin and lips but after a week of coming off roaccutane his pains just disappeared pretty quickly which I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle if my blood tests come back alright :smile:

Thank you it did help a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest