The Student Room Group

I like to treat my men...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SillyRodent
Holy crap.

Edit: (as in 'gosh that it a breakfast of kings')

well, thats sort of a winter variation, in summer once I did this:
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264493_10150296659612625_618132_n.jpg

Might not be able to see it :tongue: I snuck out into the garden and set it all out a picnic, woke him up and took him out for breakfast in the sun :smile: Not my most impressive as there was more assembling than cooking haha, but yeah, thats a visual example !!
Reply 21
Original post by Future African game vet
Well it varies :tongue: but the most recent one was:

Drink: Pineapple, mango and orange juice
Side bits: Bowl of olives, feta, italian ham - Pancakes with syrup / nutella with raspberries
Main bit: Sausage, bacon, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms with a side of seasoned fried onions and spinach topped with goats cheese

(my parents are chefs.... so food is kind of how I like to express myself)

+1 rep just for this :biggrin: I think I'll make this tomorrow! Sounds heavenly :coma:
Today I was having a debate with a friend, She was saying it's weird for a girl to treat a man the way I do;

Whenever I have been in a relationship I like to do little things for the man I am dating. I wake up early and sneak out to the shop to cook special breakfasts for them, set up surprise evenings doing their favorite things, take them out for a walk at night to look at the stars away from the town's lights, make them gifts occasionally, send little messages every so often to try and brighten up their day - not ALL the time- that'd be weird, but regularly... however I have been told by my female friends that its not our "duty" as women to take that role.... surely it works both ways?

Personally, I have never had anyone treat me in the same way back, either they just accept it and say very little, or begin to take it for granted- but this is just what I do...

What are your opinions on this sort of thing? Is it ok for me to do this? Or would guys find it odd?

I think I can speak for the vast majority of guys in saying that whoever ends up marrying you is a very lucky guy...
Original post by ildaf123
It sounds nice but I would only do things like that if the guy did stuff like that back. I wouldnt want to do too too much for him as I think that makes you vulnerable to be taken advantage of, and I wouldnt wanted to be considered as 'whipped' or someone just there at his beck and call.

But I do think it is important to do some nice/romantic gestures to your boyfriend, rather than just expect it all to come from him.

thank you, that is very sensible advice :smile:
I do try and limit the amount of big gestures I do, and you are right, its important not to appear "whipped", but although I do make gestures, I'm very careful not to be at their beck and call, these things are all on my terms... however, Im a hopeless romantic and find myself spending a lot of time planning what nice things I can do next haha... of dear, that is rather sad isn't it? :tongue:

Though sadly not at the moment, as I am and have been single for a while!
Well it varies :tongue: but the most recent one was:

Drink: Pineapple, mango and orange juice
Side bits: Bowl of olives, feta, italian ham - Pancakes with syrup / nutella with raspberries
Main bit: Sausage, bacon, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms with a side of seasoned fried onions and spinach topped with goats cheese

(my parents are chefs.... so food is kind of how I like to express myself)

WOAH WOAH WOAH, i'm straight and I want you as my girlfriend! YUM!!!!

I think if you enjoy doing it, then that's the main thing :smile:, I mean wow....YUM!!!!
Original post by Naami
+1 rep just for this :biggrin: I think I'll make this tomorrow! Sounds heavenly :coma:

haha, you are welcome, if you want any tips for random breakfasts/ good meals just ask :smile: I have many many food ideas constantly circling my brain!!
Original post by amyshamblesxx
You can do that if you want to but as you've already said, you don't get treated like that in return and end up being taken for granted. A relationship is a two way thing, not just you putting all the effort in.

Demonizing people she's been with for not acting in the same way, when the vast majority of people don't, seems a bit unfair.
Reply 27
haha, you are welcome, if you want any tips for random breakfasts/ good meals just ask :smile: I have many many food ideas constantly circling my brain!!

Make a TSR Recipe book! :adore:
Reply 28
Today I was having a debate with a friend, She was saying it's weird for a girl to treat a man the way I do;

Whenever I have been in a relationship I like to do little things for the man I am dating. I wake up early and sneak out to the shop to cook special breakfasts for them, set up surprise evenings doing their favorite things, take them out for a walk at night to look at the stars away from the town's lights, make them gifts occasionally, send little messages every so often to try and brighten up their day - not ALL the time- that'd be weird, but regularly... however I have been told by my female friends that its not our "duty" as women to take that role.... surely it works both ways?

Personally, I have never had anyone treat me in the same way back, either they just accept it and say very little, or begin to take it for granted- but this is just what I do...

What are your opinions on this sort of thing? Is it ok for me to do this? Or would guys find it odd?

That's the coolest sig I've seen! Love tigers!

Oh and you sound like a great girlfriend, don't let your friend ruin that :smile:
In the long run, you'll be the winner, don't worry. You'll be in a happy marriage I'm sure (if marriage is what you want), while the 'me me me' people of this world will be licking their wounds and wondering where it all went wrong for them. :grouphugs:
Wow you sound absolutely amazing :redface:

Honestly, most (if not all) guys would see this as a plus - however much we pretend to be strong and self-sufficient, who wouldn't appreciate a surprise cooked breakfast, or receiving that sweet text message which helps to brighten up an otherwise rubbish day at work/university/college etc.

I have to say I've been the same with all of my past girlfriends - I've always liked to make them feel really special, and do nice things for them as much as I can. Varying from a simple breakfast-in-bed, to surprising my previous gf with a long weekend away in Paris (after subtly checking she had an up-to-date/valid passport :wink:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Your friend has obviously never been in a real relationship.
Original post by jamesmiguel
Wow you sound absolutely amazing :redface:

Honestly, most (if not all) guys would see this as a plus - however much we pretend to be strong and self-sufficient, who wouldn't appreciate a surprise cooked breakfast, or receiving that sweet text message which helps to brighten up an otherwise rubbish day at work/university/college etc.

I have to say I've been the same with all of my past girlfriends - I've always liked to make them feel really special, and do nice things for them as much as I can. Varying from a simple breakfast-in-bed, to surprising my previous gf with a long weekend away in Paris (after subtly checking she had an up-to-date/valid passport :wink:)

aww that sounds so lovely :smile: I hope she appreciated it!! Lucky lass :smile:

You sound lovely too x
Original post by concubine
Demonizing people she's been with for not acting in the same way, when the vast majority of people don't, seems a bit unfair.

oh I hope I didnt come across as demonizing them :s-smilie: I dont mind if people don't really act the same way back, I just do it because I enjoy it, and it's how I express myself. Of course if they don't seem to appreciate it at all I feel a little taken for granted, but they should by no means feel they should go out of their way to do the same things back :redface:
Original post by Katie_p
Urgh I hate it when women say they should be treated, it's a man's job to hold open doors/chairs, buy them flowers and chocolates and don't do anything in return.

I pre-ordered Skyrim for my bf - not particularly romantic I know, but it was really appreciated. :smile:

I think it's important that both parties make the occasional gesture to show their respect and appreciation for each other and the relationship. If you're not getting it back, I think perhaps you should tone it down a little so that you aren't taken advantage of. But I think it's really sweet and commendable that you make the effort.

One of my housemates expects gifts from her partner and never gets him anything. She has a charm bracelet and demanded more charms for her birthday when he was broke!

Pre-ordering skyrim sounds a great gesture :smile: glad he appreciated it! And your housemate sounds a little greedy... I get really cringy / embarrassed when I read things like that :s-smilie: Hope she starts to act like more of a lady soon!
x
I am mainly intrigued by the use of the term "duty" in the OP

Does your friend think that it is a man's duty to behave like this
I think it's more weird that they don't do anything back.
(omg can i buy you to make my breakfast? I will pay GOOD MONEY)
Original post by TenOfThem
I am mainly intrigued by the use of the term "duty" in the OP

Does your friend think that it is a man's duty to behave like this

Im not sure.... I think she meant it was the mans "duty" to be the one to treat his lady and that the female in the relationship is purely on the receiving end- I 100% disagree.
Original post by brendonbackflip
I think it's more weird that they don't do anything back.
(omg can i buy you to make my breakfast? I will pay GOOD MONEY)

Yeah... that's why I was concerned I was doing something inappropriate, as I have yet to date anyone who really responds to the things I do! Of course a couple of them have thanked me and seemed really cheered up by it, whereas one of them... I dont really remember him acknowledging anything I did when we were actually IN a relationship- when we were dating before it became official he really appreciated it and did a few sweet things back, but after that.. I carried on and he gave up, he even seemed embarrassed that I was doing these things for him at times and sort of began to ignore them completely, hence why I felt I was doing something wrong :frown:

ha- and sure, I'd love to cook for you my dear!
Original post by concubine

:confused:

I'm not demonizing the people she's been with, just pointing out she shouldn't be taken for granted when she's clearly a very caring and selfless girlfriend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending