The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Online Admission Test

Hey everyone,

One of my choices is Computer Science and Maths at Imperial. Over a month ago I received an email of them asking me to choose a date for my "admission test". I chose January 16 and they said they'll email me the test then.

Since the date is approaching, I'm wondering if anyone knows what I should expect from it. All I know is that I have 45 minutes to complete the test.

Anyone? :biggrin:

Edit: I'm an EU applicant, so I'm guessing this is an alternative to their usual interview.
Reply 1
Easy maths/logic based questions. Chances are you already have an offer if you don't muck up the test horrendously. When I applied, everyone that had an interview got an offer.

I'm doing JMC as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Alrightie, thanks for the tip! :smile: I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Really hope it's nothing more than some typical entrance test questions.
Reply 3
Hey dude, how did it go!? I got exactly the same email (for computing) and I have no idea what to expect. My friend, who attends the same school, also applied for computing but he has to go for an interview instead. Any idea why some people have to take a test and others have to attend an interview?
Reply 4
Original post by aceplayer8
Hey dude, how did it go!? I got exactly the same email (for computing) and I have no idea what to expect. My friend, who attends the same school, also applied for computing but he has to go for an interview instead. Any idea why some people have to take a test and others have to attend an interview?

It went okay. :smile: It was basically a math exam with 6 questions from several different topics. The time constraint was kinda annoying (ran out of time in the end), but otherwise the questions were quite straight-forward.

I'm not sure, but I think the reason is because Imperial tends to invite UK applicants to interviews, but sends tests to international people. Of course my conjecture would be invalid if you're living in the UK. :P
Reply 5
Thanks for responding so quickly :smile:. Did your school administrate the test, or are you just a very honest student and stopped working after the 45 minutes :tongue:? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of math course did you take at school? I am concerned because at my school they only offer calculus centered courses (AP Calculus BC) and I'm wondering whether or not they will take that into account when they evaluate my test?
Reply 6
Hah, my response delay this time sure does compensate for the speed of my last reply. :P

No, I went to my local library, revised the important topics for like half an hour, then set a timer and worked for 45 minutes. I think they're not interested in speed anyway. They specifically wrote on the first page that they're interested in my methodology, so I guess it's really the equivalent of an interview.

I'm taking higher level mathematics (I'm doing the IB diploma). I don't have further maths or any fancy course like that. :P You shouldn't worry though. On the first page they also wrote that if a certain topic hasn't been covered, we just write so and skip to the next question. Also keep in mind that this is only part of the application process, so they've probably read about the kind of courses you've taken.

Anyhow, good luck with it! I'm still waiting for my reply. :smile:
Reply 7
Hey guys :smile:
I am doing the test tomorrow and i am just wondering what sort of topics should i study for? Integration or something like that?? Also did you have to print out the test and then scan it back? Ohh...and since this was last year? How did it go? I hope you university plans worked out! Thanks!!!!
Reply 8
Hey,
I applied to imperial college london for a BEng in Computing. Just a few days ago I received an email saying that I am invited to give an online admission test which will contain mathematical and problem solving questions. The test will be sent through an email and I will have 45 minutes to do it. Can someone tell me what type of questions to expect. Is it going to be like SAT math OR A-level pure mathematics OR Further Pure Mathematics?
Reply 9
Original post by Flora124
Hello, I have received the exactly same email, but I applied for a MEng in computing, Have you done the online test? Could you tell me what the question like? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was 45 minutes enough?

Yes I would like to know to , been sent the same email but as far as i can see there are no interview slots left either - i was under the impression all applicants received an interview especially since im from london
Reply 10
Anyone have any luck finding out whats involved - was not expecting anything like this and didnt know they even did a test
Original post by HJ1234
Anyone have any luck finding out whats involved - was not expecting anything like this and didnt know they even did a test

Have you heard back from them about the test?
Reply 12
Original post by Cobbleguin
Have you heard back from them about the test?

I had an informal offer yesterday after taking the test on the 7th March.
Reply 13
What topics do they ask for the admission test?
Reply 14
Hi Aryan, did you do the test ? how was it ? i have got a similar message from Imperial today for taking a test in 2 days
Reply 15
Hey Jbhate, how was your exam. I'm kind of nervous, I'll be taking the online computing exam tomorrow, and I'm really not sure of what can come? Any tips/advice? I'm an A Level candidate (taking Cambridge CIE A2 this year on PureMaths/Mechanics set P3M2, Computer Science, Physics and Chemistry.) I've done CIE AS level on the above subjects (P1/M1, CS, Phy, Chem).I've heard that the test is similar to Edexcel C1 C2 ? Were any of the questions like those in the MAT? (I hope not, because they are not my syll, and it was not mentioned in the course to do MAT)Please respond soon
Original post by AryanK
Hey everyone,

One of my choices is Computer Science and Maths at Imperial. Over a month ago I received an email of them asking me to choose a date for my "admission test". I chose January 16 and they said they'll email me the test then.

Since the date is approaching, I'm wondering if anyone knows what I should expect from it. All I know is that I have 45 minutes to complete the test.

Anyone? :biggrin:

Edit: I'm an EU applicant, so I'm guessing this is an alternative to their usual interview.

I have been sent an email regarding the online admissions test. My only questions are regarding the time, how long do you have to complete the test? The email at first says it must take no longer than 90 minutes but then that you should start with plenty of time ahead. After all how much time do you have? In addition, can you go back to change an answer, or after you lock it in thats it? Basically asking if you answer one question at a time or you get all the questions together like when taking a test. I hope you can answer as I am not asking anything regarding the types of questions or example questions. My test is tomorrow btw. Thankyou in advance guys.
Original post by js.int
I had an informal offer yesterday after taking the test on the 7th March.

I have been sent an email regarding the online admissions test. My only questions are regarding the time, how long do you have to complete the test? The email at first says it must take no longer than 90 minutes but then that you should start with plenty of time ahead. After all how much time do you have? In addition, can you go back to change an answer, or after you lock it in thats it? Basically asking if you answer one question at a time or you get all the questions together like when taking a test. I hope you can answer as I am not asking anything regarding the types of questions or example questions. My test is tomorrow btw. Thankyou in advance guys.
Original post by Aria647
Hey Jbhate, how was your exam. I'm kind of nervous, I'll be taking the online computing exam tomorrow, and I'm really not sure of what can come? Any tips/advice? I'm an A Level candidate (taking Cambridge CIE A2 this year on PureMaths/Mechanics set P3M2, Computer Science, Physics and Chemistry.) I've done CIE AS level on the above subjects (P1/M1, CS, Phy, Chem).I've heard that the test is similar to Edexcel C1 C2 ? Were any of the questions like those in the MAT? (I hope not, because they are not my syll, and it was not mentioned in the course to do MAT)Please respond soon

I have been sent an email regarding the online admissions test. My only questions are regarding the time, how long do you have to complete the test? The email at first says it must take no longer than 90 minutes but then that you should start with plenty of time ahead. After all how much time do you have? In addition, can you go back to change an answer, or after you lock it in thats it? Basically asking if you answer one question at a time or you get all the questions together like when taking a test. I hope you can answer as I am not asking anything regarding the types of questions or example questions. My test is tomorrow btw. Was it hard? And what topics should you probably know prior to taking the test? More like c1 c2?Thankyou in advance guys.

Quick Reply

Latest