The Student Room Group

Law degree to investment banking?

Like the title says, could I do a Law degree then go into investment banking? I achieved pretty mediocre gcses (the majority being C's) and for my A-levels I got AAB, currently retaking the B to push it up to an A. I'm also thinking of attempting to complete A-level mathematics to an A during my university studies. For my uni, I'll either be going to Newcastle or Liverpool.

So I was wondering if someone could tell me whether I am in a good position to attempt to go for such a career. At the moment I am on a gap year so I plan on trying to find myself some experience in the financial area is there anything else I can do? I've heard of the spring week experience but I am unsure about it. Could someone explain that? thanks.
Bump. I'm also thinking of changing my offer with Liverpool from LLB Law to LLB Law with Accounting and Finance. Would that make my position any better?
Reply 2
Hi. It is quite unlikely that you will break into top tier IB without a degree from target uni. But i wouldnt be completely put off. Keep trying
Reply 3
Original post by 09001904
Hi. It is quite unlikely that you will break into top tier IB without a degree from target uni. But i wouldnt be completely put off. Keep trying

Sick advice bro
Lol rubbish. Ignore. Yes you can go from Law to Banking. Degree is irrelevant, you will be taught everything you need to know on the job.

Original post by 09001904
Reply 5
Original post by stevenjohnh
Lol rubbish. Ignore. Yes you can go from Law to Banking. Degree is irrelevant, you will be taught everything you need to know on the job.

just bumped into this thread, based on your advice, I was wondering, how would you go from being a law grad into Banking? I've been researching but I've found no in roads so far apart from stuff like compliance officer, would appreciate your help, thanks in advance.
Original post by mobo_israel
just bumped into this thread, based on your advice, I was wondering, how would you go from being a law grad into Banking? I've been researching but I've found no in roads so far apart from stuff like compliance officer, would appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Surely you have to show an interest for the area you want to go into through experience, attending relevant events, reading up on financial news and make sure this shines through in your applications.
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Surely you have to show an interest for the area you want to go into through experience, attending relevant events, reading up on financial news and make sure this shines through in your applications.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

thanks for the advice, which is greatly appreciated, what you guys have said, I have read before, but the key thing I said was that I'm a 'Law Grad', not undergrad, so experience is somewhat hard to come by because I can no longer do internships etc, hence why I asked how would I have an in road? What is the best way of gaining experience? just speculative cover letter and Cv? or is there another way?

Sorry if my questions are basic, I'm researching into this career more and more on a daily basis, but I have a full time job so my research has been moving slowly.

again thanks for the help, appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending