The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science outside London

Interested in Actuarial Sciences but keen to avoid London if possible because of extra living costs etc? Is there anywhere that is highly regarded for Actuarial Science outside London at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Warwick, Heriot Watt and Kent off the top of my head. Maybe Queen's University Belfast too; I think they give all 8 CT exemptions...
Reply 2
Original post by qno2
Warwick, Heriot Watt and Kent off the top of my head. Maybe Queen's University Belfast too; I think they give all 8 CT exemptions...

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/becoming-actuary/universities/university-warwick
It shows that Warwick doesn't give exemption for CT5. (it's still a good choice:smile:)
Reply 3
Original post by a5a09
http://www.actuaries.org.uk/becoming-actuary/universities/university-warwick
It shows that Warwick doesn't give exemption for CT5. (it's still a good choice:smile:)

Ahh my bad. Though I do think that if you can get through the MMORSE program with the other 7 exemptions then you would be more than capable of getting a pass in CT 5 fairly quickly as you will probably know a good chunk of the maths needed for it.
When I applied (last year) I spoke to several graduate employers, and they all rated gratuates from CASS, Kent, and Heriot-Watt as being 'best.'

Any questions about the course at Kent, feel free to ask!
Reply 5
Glasgow has a good Actuarial Science programme (BSc and MSc). Check the accreditation with the UK Institute of Actuarial Science.
Original post by Tcannon
Glasgow has a good Actuarial Science programme (BSc and MSc). Check the accreditation with the UK Institute of Actuarial Science.

Glasgow don't go Actuarial Science...Heriot Watt might be the university you mean?
Reply 7
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Glasgow don't go Actuarial Science...Heriot Watt might be the university you mean?

I was just thinking exactly that. Glasgow do offer a variety of degrees in the mathematical-sciences type area including single-honours statistics which is alot less common than people imagine.

Heriot Watt is the only university to offer actuarial science in Scotland by the way though 1 or 2 exemptions are available from the maths degrees at a few of the other universities.

Quick Reply

Latest