The Student Room Group

how has immigration affected the pass rates of the country

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Xiomara
Nigerian :wink:

There's no denying that I'm influenced by popular culture in many ways, including my use of language. I don't see "Americanisms" as a negative thing.
Agree to disagree? If not, feel free to start a thread on America's cultural influence on the rest of the world... :tongue:

Of course they're not 'negative' as in responsible for genocides and poverty. It doesn't mean it should be encouraged though.

Even if you're Nigerian, I'm guessing you live in Britain? Shouldn't your cultural cues therefore come mainly from the UK?
Reply 21
Original post by ameritus
Of course they're not 'negative' as in responsible for genocides and poverty. It doesn't mean it should be encouraged though.

Even if you're Nigerian, I'm guessing you live in Britain? Shouldn't your cultural cues therefore come mainly from the UK?

You'd think that, but my popular culture consumption is primarily international. I watch very little TV and don't read magazines but spend lots of time on the internet, where I'm very exposed to US culture as well. My peers are similar. Not sure how it worked out this way.
Original post by Xiomara
'Simpler' not 'more simple'.

If you're going to give an impromptu Grammar 101 lesson, please do it properly :-P

(you're not strictly incorrect, it just sounds better and is more commonly accepted to use "simpler" in the middle of a sentence)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really? That was my point exactly. Have you even read my post?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending