The Student Room Group

Am I wasting my time with University?

Hello all!

My name is Alex and I am currently studying Film and Video at Newport University. This is my first year and so far it's had its ups and downs with regards to how I feel about the course etc...

It has come to my attention that I may just be wasting my time doing this degree as it wont REALLY help me get any further to pursue my career path which is either an editor or a director.

I chose the course as I've always (so I've neen told) had a creative mind. It started off just as a hobby by creating my own short little films in my own time. So I thought that this is the career path I want to embark on and make a living out of. But now it has come to my attention that a degree for this type of career path is not really needed and that I should either get an apprenticeship or that I should be a runner, which is basically as low as it gets, and just work my way up and gain the experience needed.

This only came to mind when I did a little bit of research and found that experience is what the media industry is looking for, so I feel that I may just be wasting time and money when I could be trying to gain some experience.

Really I just need some advice, I really am keen to get into the filming industry as I would feel like I'm at home and that it would be worth getting up at stupid O'clock in the morning to appear on set/shoot. I will admit though, education isn't really my forte and never really have "enjoyed" school or college.
Reply 1
You said it! "Experience" having a degree shows that you're a hard worker and have some level of academic ability, you can work on getting work experience over the summer but definitely keep at your degree as that will set you apart from other applicants in later life! Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending