The Student Room Group

"Soft" A Level subject choices?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tengentoppa
The OP didn't ask for the most respected subjects they asked for soft subjects. You've just inferred that subjects like History ,Economics, French, English Lit and Latin are soft. That's clearly not the case.

You're quite clearly jealous that you don't have the intelligence to study a science subject
Original post by polaritymolecule
You're quite clearly jealous that you don't have the intelligence to study a science subject

You're quite clearly tetchy. You asked a question and I answered it. Get down off your high horse.
Original post by tengentoppa
You're quite clearly tetchy. You asked a question and I answered it. Get down off your high horse.

:colone:

I study Chemistry, History and Geography along with Maths at AS. The arts subject I study are just as hard as Chemistry, and are by no means 'soft'.
Original post by elizanissim
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Science for Public Understanding
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

As in Physics, Chemistry and Biology?
Original post by the mezzil
I study Chemistry, History and Geography along with Maths at AS. The arts subject I study are just as hard as Chemistry, and are by no means 'soft'.

Studying Math AS in your A2 year?:smile:
Studying Math AS in your A2 year?:smile:

Nope dropped it, found the other three more interesting. Never really like maths tbh.
Nope dropped it, found the other three more interesting. Never really like maths tbh.

Ohh I see, would you say its self teachable in 4 months?
Reply 28
I looked for an article I read ages ago but I couldn't find it, so I'll just briefly explain what it said. It listed the 'blacklisted' subjects which had subjects like home economics and leisure studies. It then had subjects where they were not considered 'soft' but it was recommended that only one should be taken. This list had subjects like Psychology and Law. It was footnoted that some subjects in this list would be useful depending what you wanted to study (more on this in my 'personal' situation in the next paragraph. The article then went on to say General Studies and Critical Thinking should only be used as a 4th A Level as lots of universities will not give points for these subjects. Then the more 'traditional' subjects were listed and it was suggested 2/3 should be from that list and it suggested that one should take a range of subjects to ensure no 'closed doors'.

In my case, I applied for Psychology at university and one of the uni requirements was an A in Psychology at A Level. Without this subject it would have been difficult to write my PS as lots needs to focus around areas of Psychology which interest me. One could probably write it if there was a great interest in the subject externally from school, but then knowing what is required for the exams and how it's taught would be tough. To add on to what was previously mentioned the marking scheme for Psychology is awful. CIE allocated marks for 'any evaluative comment' which is highly subjective and the exam is crazy! 2x 6 page essays and short answer questions- goodbye hand and arm!

I'm doing both AS and A2 in 9 months, one of my subjects is Edexcel English Language which I have mainly self-taught. It requires lots of discipline and nagging teachers if you don't understand something but so far is working for me. I'd say any subject is self-teachable if you're prepared to work hard at it and ask for help when needed.
Russell group unis released a leaflet "'making an informed choice" or something similar they prefer you to have studied 2/3 traditional academic subjects English history the sciences maths geography etc. subjects such as art media studies are considered more "soft" this is not to say they are not difficult or challenging nor that they don't require hard work and talent but rather they are not subjects that lean themselves to be as academic for those wishing to continue in an academic field. Most unis will not include critical thinking or general studies as part of their offer so having it will bare not use as far as meeting your standard offer. Of course if you want to go into a vocational field such as art architecture leisure and tourism then having a levels in some of these "soft" areas will be useful. It's really dependant on what you intend I do in your future but generally the core subjects you've been studying since you started school maths eng geog science languages history are considered "hard" subjects such as Pe art dance performing arts tend to be seen as "soft" but a uni not going to look at you and say you've got a "soft" option were not takin you. They'll look at your whole application before making a decision - it may be that your just really good at those subjects and you taking physics and getting an E is not going to get you anywhere if you want to be dancer and is talented in different subject areas! Having a balance is probably the best tactic because A LEvels regardless of subjects are hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by dingnut
I looked for an article I read ages ago but I couldn't find it, so I'll just briefly explain what it said. It listed the 'blacklisted' subjects which had subjects like home economics and leisure studies. It then had subjects where they were not considered 'soft' but it was recommended that only one should be taken. This list had subjects like Psychology and Law. It was footnoted that some subjects in this list would be useful depending what you wanted to study (more on this in my 'personal' situation in the next paragraph. The article then went on to say General Studies and Critical Thinking should only be used as a 4th A Level as lots of universities will not give points for these subjects. Then the more 'traditional' subjects were listed and it was suggested 2/3 should be from that list and it suggested that one should take a range of subjects to ensure no 'closed doors'.

In my case, I applied for Psychology at university and one of the uni requirements was an A in Psychology at A Level. Without this subject it would have been difficult to write my PS as lots needs to focus around areas of Psychology which interest me. One could probably write it if there was a great interest in the subject externally from school, but then knowing what is required for the exams and how it's taught would be tough. To add on to what was previously mentioned the marking scheme for Psychology is awful. CIE allocated marks for 'any evaluative comment' which is highly subjective and the exam is crazy! 2x 6 page essays and short answer questions- goodbye hand and arm!

I'm doing both AS and A2 in 9 months, one of my subjects is Edexcel English Language which I have mainly self-taught. It requires lots of discipline and nagging teachers if you don't understand something but so far is working for me. I'd say any subject is self-teachable if you're prepared to work hard at it and ask for help when needed.

It sounds like you're referring to Trinity College Cambridge's "blacklist".

Also (not directed at you, dingnut), Law A Level is definitely fine as a fourth and is OK as a third if accompanied by two traditional subjects - here. For what it's worth, people say A Level Law only gives you a two-week advantage, but I found it immensely useful for about two thirds of the Criminal Law course in my first year.
As in Physics, Chemistry and Biology?

No, as in an A Level in combined science.
Reply 32
Original post by Matthewjones94
psychology is one of the hardest?! I got A,B in GCSE science and ended up with a U in AS psychology despite trying sooo hard!

I got Cs in GCSE science and ended up with A,B in A level Physics and Chemistry. I think it's probably you ... Not the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Thank you for all your answers. I was just wondering, if you took two subjects that could be considered "soft", for example, I was planning to take Psychology and Sociology, will this minimise my chances to get into university?? I am planning to drop sociology at AS to concentrate on my other A levels, I'm also planning to take English Language and Biology... if that helps!
Original post by amyyalice
Thank you for all your answers. I was just wondering, if you took two subjects that could be considered "soft", for example, I was planning to take Psychology and Sociology, will this minimise my chances to get into university?? I am planning to drop sociology at AS to concentrate on my other A levels, I'm also planning to take English Language and Biology... if that helps!

depends what you want to study at uni I think, and neither are really soft subjects just considered less academic!

Which subject do you want to study? Where do you want to study? Also, English Language is probably viewed on a similar level to Psychology and Sociology - they're not 'soft', but they aren't hard/facilitating either.
Reply 36
Original post by annehogarth
depends what you want to study at uni I think, and neither are really soft subjects just considered less academic!

I was hoping to study Speech and Language Therapy or anthing else in the health care sector...

Original post by magicmuggle
Which subject do you want to study? Where do you want to study? Also, English Language is probably viewed on a similar level to Psychology and Sociology - they're not 'soft', but they aren't hard/facilitating either.

Speech and Language Therapy or anything else in the healthcare sector. I'm not sure where I would like to study just yet.. Oh, I always been told that English Language was considered a more "academic" subject to choose! :/
I was hoping to study Speech and Language Therapy or anthing else in the health care sector...

Speech and Language Therapy or anything else in the healthcare sector. I'm not sure where I would like to study just yet.. Oh, I always been told that English Language was considered a more "academic" subject to choose! :/

I did some research and it seems to be that a science and a language is recommended. If you like languages, maybe take a language, biology, english language and one of psychology/sociology?

English language is fine for this course, it just isn't recommended for some other courses.
(edited 11 years ago)

Read this list for a good guide: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Biology is listed as a generally suitable science subject.

English Language, Sociology and Psychology are listed as having more limited suitability, so I would recommend you only took one or maximum 2 of these subjects leaving you with 2 or 3 subjects listed as more generally suitable (assuming you take 4 subjects)

What about English Literature, Geography, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Languages, Maths. Really depends what you want to do at university.

Have a read of this http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

The Russell group (a collection of top UK universities) say the subjects that give you the most options are:
Mathematics and Further Mathematics
English (Literature)
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
History
Languages (Classical and Modern)

Further down they list what A level subjects are generally required for different courses (this is just a guide and will vary from place to place) see below for some examples.

Psychology
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
A few courses ask for one from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
Biology, Mathematics, Psychology, Sociology.

Sociology
None
Sociology, Psychology, Geography.

English
English Literature or combined English Language & Literature
(some courses will accept English Language).
History, Religious Studies, a foreign language.

As you can see, non of Sociology, Psychology or English Language are essential to study any of those subjects at university, and while they may be useful, if you don't know what you want to do, you would be better choosing more flexible subjects.

EDIT
Just saw you want to do speech therapy:

Speech Therapy
Some universities want a science such as Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
Some specify Biology, but some degrees will consider candidates with
none of these.
A modern foreign language (for example, French, German, Spanish, Italian),
English Language (and Literature), Psychology.

So maybe drop Sociology and pick a language or another science instead, then if you changed your mind having biology plus a language/science means you still have quite a lot of doors open :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cephalus
And Psychology, Sociology, Law, Media also

Psychology is a useless subject, don't even know why people think they're top class just because they're studying it.

Quick Reply

Latest