Social Work at Queens 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
It's still rubbish lol, has to be in for Friday! I'm frm Derry :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 221
Original post by 1 No Mum
LOL! That is so weird!! lol!! I was born and bred halfway between Coagh and Stewartstown!! What a small world!

How are you getting on with your interview prep? :biggrin: xx

Hi, flat out with practice questions, i have printed so much info i'm afraid i'm gona overload & never remember anything. Just at it 24/7. I have the chance to spend a few days in a childrens home with a sw who is a friend of a friend do you think this is a good idea? We must live a stones throw from each other lol xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by Blazerie
It's still rubbish lol, has to be in for Friday! I'm frm Derry :smile:

If you need any help let me know :smile:
Reply 223
Original post by KarenG128
Hi, flat out with practice questions, i have printed so much info i'm afraid i'm gona overload & never remember anything. Just at it 24/7. I have the chance to spend a few days in a childrens home with a sw who is a friend of a friend do you think this is a good idea? We must live a stones throw from each other lol xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that sounds like a great opportunity to get some experience :biggrin:
If I had to do this all again, I would not stress so much about memorizing answers and just learn key points and practice people asking you questions that you haven't prepared answers for, as no amount of prep will prepare you for their questions in the interview setting!! I paid £80 for interview training, and not even sure if that helped me at all!! My interview was a week ago tomorrow and I'm turning into an OCD UCAS CHECKER!! lol!! Just booked a holiday there so I'll have an opportunity to either celebrate or commiserate in a few months!! lol!!

Yeah we must live real close alrite!! :biggrin: My home place is just up the road from Ballytrea School! Is your interview in Dungannon, Queens or Magee?? xx
Reply 224
My interview is magee but my first choice will b dgn. But im willing to travel if i dont get dgn. Im trying to learn all the buzz words & get examples into my head. Its awful lol. Im bout 5mins away from ballytrea. I think you'l be fine, you seem to know your stuff and you seem confident. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 225
Hey Ladies! It's been a busy week so haven't got the chance to get onto this!

No 1 Mum how did ur interview in dungannon go last week? Mine went just okay, could have been a lot better I didn't get to fit in everything I wanted to which I think will hinder my chances of getting in!

ive my interview for Queens next Thursday so have to do it allllllll over again but at least I can learn what to do & what not to do lol xx
Reply 226
Original post by KerryF94
Yeah, my deadline is the 12th April! Im worried that my age is a big blocker, being 18 i don't have the experience someone like you or someone more mature would :s-smilie:

If it makes you feel any better, I believe that anyone who has made it through to the interview stage has already demonstrated enough practical experience and had the potential to get into the course! It just depends then on how you come across in the interview! :smile: I know of a few people rejected instantly in the first round, then on the second for maybe not gaving enough experience, or not knowing enough on the role of the social worker.

Has anyone heard of any rejections yet?

No 1 mum, my first choice would be betweenQueens and Belfast Met :smile: with Dungannon coming close behind. Although if anywhere sccepted me, I'd be delighted. I really like the idea of having a small class of 30, like the collages have as I already have a degree in English from Queens and it was such a big class that it was hard to make friends :/ Have you only applied to Dungannon

Hi SD! I was like you, I had my Queens interview after the Dungannon one! I think it went a lot better as I was more prepared the second time round! Hopefully thats the same for you! :smile:
Reply 227
Original post by Isme007
If it makes you feel any better, I believe that anyone who has made it through to the interview stage has already demonstrated enough practical experience and had the potential to get into the course! It just depends then on how you come across in the interview! :smile: I know of a few people rejected instantly in the first round, then on the second for maybe not gaving enough experience, or not knowing enough on the role of the social worker.

Has anyone heard of any rejections yet?

No 1 mum, my first choice would be betweenQueens and Belfast Met :smile: with Dungannon coming close behind. Although if anywhere sccepted me, I'd be delighted. I really like the idea of having a small class of 30, like the collages have as I already have a degree in English from Queens and it was such a big class that it was hard to make friends :/ Have you only applied to Dungannon

Hi SD! I was like you, I had my Queens interview after the Dungannon one! I think it went a lot better as I was more prepared the second time round! Hopefully thats the same for you! :smile:

Hey :smile: Ive a lot of voluntary experience but no paid experience.
I havent heard of anyone getting rejections but I had my interview so so early and everyone only seems to be having theirs now :/
Reply 228
Original post by SDxo
Hey Ladies! It's been a busy week so haven't got the chance to get onto this!

No 1 Mum how did ur interview in dungannon go last week? Mine went just okay, could have been a lot better I didn't get to fit in everything I wanted to which I think will hinder my chances of getting in!

ive my interview for Queens next Thursday so have to do it allllllll over again but at least I can learn what to do & what not to do lol xx

lol! I feel the same :s-smilie: not sure if I pulled it off or not! I'm scared I blew in on the question at the end... I also didn't get a chance to get anything in that I wanted to say!! At least we both haven't heard word back yet so I'm still trying to be optimistic!!

Ive applied for SWC, Queens, Magee and BMC!! Hoping that I get into one!! xxx

At least you have another chance at your interview!! If I had this to do again, I think I wouldn't share my information :biggrin: xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 229
Its 3 weeks tomorrow since my interview and the thought that ive to wait another 8 weeks approx. annoys me soo much! Im far too impatient for this! The saying is 'early bird catches the worm' and all ive caught is impatience! : (
i have mine next thursday dont even know where to begin to prepare for it which is putting me off trying to start lol need to get my ass into gear and realise i must i want into this course we dont find out til may at the latest dont we not? and are they interviewing throughout april as well?
Reply 231
My friend asked during her queens interview when we find out and they said late march.... So hopefully that's right!
Ps I definitely messed up my interview so I'm just waiting on unsuccessfuls now lol but if I had the choice I definitely wouldn't let qub and magee share my info, especially because this is my first time applying to UNI and I really didn't know what to expect! But never the less, good luck to those who have interviews in the coming weeks and ill let yous know how I get on :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
Original post by rachel_201
i have mine next thursday dont even know where to begin to prepare for it which is putting me off trying to start lol need to get my ass into gear and realise i must i want into this course we dont find out til may at the latest dont we not? and are they interviewing throughout april as well?

I went through the whole guidance sheet making notes on everything. Know exactly what a social worker is and they're roles. Also use the websites given to look at current issues. The NISCC website is important for the training and the code of practice, they mightnt ask specificially about that but it helps to relate it into your answer to show understanding :smile: Stay as calm as you can so you can show you cope well under the pressure! :smile: Don't worry about rushing to answer each question they give you plenty of time, when I had my interview I was given a sheet with the questions on it so you can't really ask for the question to be repeated. Also, try and use some key terms such as advocacy or empowerment, when I mentioned those one of my interviewers looked up right away!
Some people on this have just sent their personal statements away, I had my interview 3 weeks ago today so im trying to be as patient as I can, not easy! Last year they didn't find out until late april/may so its a longg waitt :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 233
Original post by coping
My friend asked during her queens interview when we find out and they said late march.... So hopefully that's right!
Ps I definitely messed up my interview so I'm just waiting on unsuccessfuls now lol but if I had the choice I definitely wouldn't let qub and magee share my info, especially because this is my first time applying to UNI and I really didn't know what to expect! But never the less, good luck to those who have interviews in the coming weeks and ill let yous know how I get on :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heyy! :smile: some people on this have just sent away their personal statements so I don't think we will find out byt the end of march. Last year they found out in late april or may and people on this have been told the same. I don't think I would share my info either, even though it meant I'd only be stressed once! I've applied to uni and only doing one interview meant I haven't been able to see around the magee campus or get a feel for it! Hopefully no unsuccessfuls! :smile: I've no idea how mine went at all, apart from that I asked good questions apparently!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 234
Original post by coping

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL! I wasn't sure what to expect either but U certainly did't think it would be as stressful as this!! I really hope none of us have to go through this torture all over again next year!!

Im just happy enough checking UCAS everyday and seeing nothing come up at the minute!! I have a wee celebration to myself every time I log on and see that it hasn't been updated!! lol! :colone:

Im doing a wee daily count-down at the minute based on the MAX time before we know for sure if we're successful on not!! lol!

UCAS says that's the 9th of May, so we only have 59 days max before this anxious waiting frenzy is finally over!! lol!! I find its helping me to stay sane! Every day feels one step closer to my destiny!! lol!! xx
Reply 235
Hey guys! This is a question for anyone who has went to uni before or applied to student finance before.

I applied to student finance ages ago and got my things back about how much im entitled to and how much of the fees they will pay but the NHS bursary that we can apply to in April/May, if we get accepted for that, that obv pays our fees so do we cancel our student finance because theres no point in having two separate people paying our fees, but then im also entitled to a maintenance grant, can I still get a maintenance grant and not the loan?
If no one knows dont worry :smile: I plan things far too early! I don't want to ring student finance because ive rung them soo much already and id rather ring them when I know exactly whats happening incase i end up cancelling it all together!
Reply 236
Hey guys haven't been on in a while but just letting yas all know I went for my interview today at Queens. It went really well and am so pleased I got to say what I wanted. I was so nervous before hand but the two people interviewing me were lovely and made me feel really comfortable! It's just a waiting game now and hope I did enough!
Reply 237
Original post by Chloeh7
Hey guys haven't been on in a while but just letting yas all know I went for my interview today at Queens. It went really well and am so pleased I got to say what I wanted. I was so nervous before hand but the two people interviewing me were lovely and made me feel really comfortable! It's just a waiting game now and hope I did enough

Well donee! My interview there was 3 weeks ago, waiting is awful!! Im sure you did grand! :smile: Do you have any other interviews?
Reply 238
No just the one. I kind of wish I did have 2 now but glad that's it over and relieved it went well. Excited to hear back now. Well uve done great getting past the 2 week stage Kerry so I'm sure uve defo got in. Hoping I'm in the same boat as u in 3 weeks lol
Reply 239
Original post by Chloeh7
No just the one. I kind of wish I did have 2 now but glad that's it over and relieved it went well. Excited to hear back now. Well uve done great getting past the 2 week stage Kerry so I'm sure uve defo got in. Hoping I'm in the same boat as u in 3 weeks lol

It was the most nerve wracking thing ever! Im happy I havent heard anything but I don't want to jinx it just yet!
Have you started applying for student finance? The deadline for first time appliers is 12th April! If you need any help let me know! I submitted mine like a month ago! Talk about tempting fate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending