The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Social Work at Queens 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by MarioFanBoy
Hi! New to tsr, hope everyone's interviews went well and good luck to anyone still waiting to do theirs! :smile: I did my interview 2 weeks ago so I figured I'd have a go at student finance! Just wondering if any of you guys are graduates who have had a student loan before? If so, can you apply for tuition fee loan, maintenance loan & grant too? I rang them and they weren't terribly clear or helpful on the matter :frown:

Hey welcome! :smile: I've applied to student finance but I'm not a graduate. Did you ring your library board? They seem to be far more helpful! :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by KerryF94
Hey welcome! :smile: I've applied to student finance but I'm not a graduate. Did you ring your library board? They seem to be far more helpful! :smile:

Hi Kerry! Thanks for your reply, I rang the general SF helpline so I'll try ringing my library board to see if they know more. :smile:
Reply 302
Hi Kerry! Thanks for your reply, I rang the general SF helpline so I'll try ringing my library board to see if they know more. :smile:

No problemm! :smile: hopefully that helps! :smile: where is your first choice?
No problemm! :smile: hopefully that helps! :smile: where is your first choice?

I'm happy if I get in anywhere lol! :smile: I've applied for both the 3 year and 2 year route at Queen's and UU and the 3 year route at BMC too. What about you?
Reply 304
Hi! New to tsr, hope everyone's interviews went well and good luck to anyone still waiting to do theirs! :smile: I did my interview 2 weeks ago so I figured I'd have a go at student finance! Just wondering if any of you guys are graduates who have had a student loan before? If so, can you apply for tuition fee loan, maintenance loan & grant too? I rang them and they weren't terribly clear or helpful on the matter :frown:

Hiya,
I'm have an Open University Diploma, and I received an annual grant from student finance NI, and I don't think it affects entitlement to further support.

I was unclear about this as well, but was told to send in proof of income as well as proof of identity, and that they will ensure I get everything I'm entitled to.

If I were you, I'd probably do the same. At least they would have all of the documentation they need to complete your finance assessment. :biggrin:
Reply 305
I'm happy if I get in anywhere lol! :smile: I've applied for both the 3 year and 2 year route at Queen's and UU and the 3 year route at BMC too. What about you?

I'm hoping queens!
Ps does anyone know anything about laptops? No letters on my keyboard are working, most frustrating thing everr!!
Original post by 1 No Mum
Hiya,
I'm have an Open University Diploma, and I received an annual grant from student finance NI, and I don't think it affects entitlement to further support.

I was unclear about this as well, but was told to send in proof of income as well as proof of identity, and that they will ensure I get everything I'm entitled to.

If I were you, I'd probably do the same. At least they would have all of the documentation they need to complete your finance assessment. :biggrin:

Hey thanks for the reply :smile:. That's great to know, I think I'll just apply for the lot, send away everything and hope for the best lol! Fingers crossed we get a place and all this hassle isn't in vain :s-smilie: . Good luck :biggrin:
I'm hoping queens!
Ps does anyone know anything about laptops? No letters on my keyboard are working, most frustrating thing everr!!

Queens is a good uni, I studied there & really enjoyed it :smile: I went to the UU open day and really liked the look of Magee too. Sorry I can't be of much help other than to switch your laptop off and on & hope for the best lol! If you're really stuck you could use an external USB keyboard, would probably be cheaper than getting your laptop fixed! :smile:
Reply 308
Queens is a good uni, I studied there & really enjoyed it :smile: I went to the UU open day and really liked the look of Magee too. Sorry I can't be of much help other than to switch your laptop off and on & hope for the best lol! If you're really stuck you could use an external USB keyboard, would probably be cheaper than getting your laptop fixed! :smile:

Yeah I'm gonna get and and save for a new laptop, its my bday in three weeks anyway! :smile:aw whatd you study? :smile:
Yeah I'm gonna get and and save for a new laptop, its my bday in three weeks anyway! :smile:aw whatd you study? :smile:

Awesome, I'd love a new laptop I think mine has just about had its day lol! I studied law, didn't really like the course but the uni was great :smile: at least it's relevant for social work :biggrin:
Reply 310

Hello :smile: I'm in the same position as you, a graduate. From what I gather, Social Work is treated as your first degree as they want people with various life experiences onto the course and therefore you'll get financed for it. Although I'm not sure on the particulars as I plan to apply for finance during the Easter break (if I haven't heard bad news before it!:frown: )

What's your first degree? Any particular preferences for what course you'd prefer to do between the graduate and the undergrad course?

:smile:
Reply 311
Awesome, I'd love a new laptop I think mine has just about had its day lol! I studied law, didn't really like the course but the uni was great :smile: at least it's relevant for social work :biggrin:

I know quite a few people who studylaw, dnt think it would appeal to me! Well done on doing it though! :smile:
Original post by Isme007
Hello :smile: I'm in the same position as you, a graduate. From what I gather, Social Work is treated as your first degree as they want people with various life experiences onto the course and therefore you'll get financed for it. Although I'm not sure on the particulars as I plan to apply for finance during the Easter break (if I haven't heard bad news before it!:frown: )

What's your first degree? Any particular preferences for what course you'd prefer to do between the graduate and the undergrad course?

:smile:

Hey thanks for the reply :smile: Yeh that's what I was told when I enquired last year, I applied for social work last year too but was unsuccessful. But I asked SF today & they told me graduates are only entitled to a maintenance loan :s-smilie:, confusing! My first degree was in law, what about you? I'd like to do the grad route ideally but I've heard it's pretty intense! I'm sure you won't hear any bad news, bet you've done great :biggrin:. I've been checking ucas like a mad man every day since my interview lol!
I know quite a few people who studylaw, dnt think it would appeal to me! Well done on doing it though! :smile:

Thanks :smile: it was pretty tough & quite boring too lol but glad I slogged it out, wish I'd realised it didn't appeal to me either before I started studying it lol! Have you applied for any other courses apart from social work? :smile:
Reply 314
Thanks :smile: it was pretty tough & quite boring too lol but glad I slogged it out, wish I'd realised it didn't appeal to me either before I started studying it lol! Have you applied for any other courses apart from social work? :smile:

Nope, I don't really want to go to tech because I've already done a levels, if I don't get in I might try and see if there are any available psychology places at uni! :smile: wbu?
Nope, I don't really want to go to tech because I've already done a levels, if I don't get in I might try and see if there are any available psychology places at uni! :smile: wbu?

Cool :smile: my friend studied psychology then went onto to do the social work grad route so it'd def be a great option too if ya'd still wanna do soc work in the long run :biggrin: I've just applied for soc work, probably should really have a plan B too lol!
Reply 316
Hey thanks for the reply :smile: Yeh that's what I was told when I enquired last year, I applied for social work last year too but was unsuccessful. But I asked SF today & they told me graduates are only entitled to a maintenance loan :s-smilie:, confusing! My first degree was in law, what about you? I'd like to do the grad route ideally but I've heard it's pretty intense! I'm sure you won't hear any bad news, bet you've done great :biggrin:. I've been checking ucas like a mad man every day since my interview lol!

That is very confusing! So would the maintenance loan be used to pay for funding the degree? What would we use then to live off? :frown: I wonder if I rang the Queens SGC's finance dept would they be in a position to tell me? They were always really helpful when I was a student there. Aaah, melt!

I studied English, so I've only applied for the undergrad route, but I'd say a degree in law would definitely equip you with the knowledge to do the graduate route! :smile: I actually applied last year too and didn't get in :frown: Hopefully they see us both as determined going through the same process again! When did you find out you were unsuccessful last year?
Original post by Isme007
That is very confusing! So would the maintenance loan be used to pay for funding the degree? What would we use then to live off? :frown: I wonder if I rang the Queens SGC's finance dept would they be in a position to tell me? They were always really helpful when I was a student there. Aaah, melt!

I studied English, so I've only applied for the undergrad route, but I'd say a degree in law would definitely equip you with the knowledge to do the graduate route! :smile: I actually applied last year too and didn't get in :frown: Hopefully they see us both as determined going through the same process again! When did you find out you were unsuccessful last year?

Well you would still get the incentive grant of £4500 from the DHSSPS, everyone is entitled to it as it's a non-means tested grant for anyone who lives in NI & studies the soc work degree in NI. I assume that would cover your fees and the maintenance loan would help with accommodation & living etc but it's all a bit confusing :s-smilie:. Awk it's a pity that English isn't counted as a relevant degree but sure an extra year of being a student could never be a bad thing lol! I hope they do see it that way but the competition is just crazy, can't believe the amount of applicants that there are! I heard a week after my interview last year so it must have went terribly :/, I was a nervous wreck though lol! When did you find out last year?:smile:
back from a and e with even more pain and nothing to be done such bad timing should be thankful its nothing serious just mad could have had the interview all over and done with tomorrow just have to put it behind me now
Reply 319
Cool :smile: my friend studied psychology then went onto to do the social work grad route so it'd def be a great option too if ya'd still wanna do soc work in the long run :biggrin: I've just applied for soc work, probably should really have a plan B too lol!

I rarely have plan bs! I'm too optimistic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending