The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by toronto353

Well it affects EU Bloc members and that's about it really so it's not an incentive to post here (or at least isn't for the vast majority of members). We should be coming together to increase GA activity and not having little communities here and there. At a time when activity might be on the up and needs to be on the up, why are we separating the MUN community by using these blocs. Let's suspend them, build activity and then re-open them when there's the activity to do so.

Its not separating the MUN community. They are in the MUN forum, and open for all- anyone can join us on our thread. And as I said, a lot of what we do goes back into the rest of MUN- without the EU Bloc, we wouldn't have had the treaties, motions or the involvement in the hyp for the bloc. There's still more we can do, mainly by having an EU rep who can debate on other threads, but we definitely give more to the MUN then we take out.
Original post by stanlas2
Its not separating the MUN community. They are in the MUN forum, and open for all- anyone can join us on our thread. And as I said, a lot of what we do goes back into the rest of MUN- without the EU Bloc, we wouldn't have had the treaties, motions or the involvement in the hyp for the bloc. There's still more we can do, mainly by having an EU rep who can debate on other threads, but we definitely give more to the MUN then we take out.

Again, Morgsie is allowed to do that as per 1. viii) of the Guidance Document:

'The Secretariat may still post in his role as EU rep in any discussion'

If he hasn't been doing, then that is an issue for you to raise with him wouldn't you think?
Reply 42
I have mentioned the EU in most of my posts here
Reply 43
Again, Morgsie is allowed to do that as per 1. viii) of the Guidance Document:

'The Secretariat may still post in his role as EU rep in any discussion'

If he hasn't been doing, then that is an issue for you to raise with him wouldn't you think?

Then that may mean we need Morgsie to change or for a new Secretariat, but not that we should suspend the bloc.
When George Bush was president no-one argued we should suspend the US government because of his incompetence
Original post by Morgsie
I have mentioned the EU in most of my posts here

However you don't do it in character nor do you update the bloc thus you have not really fulfilled the guidance document there either.
When George Bush was president no-one argued we should suspend the US government because of his incompetence

OOC: He wasn't incompetent, you don't agree with some of his policies but overall he did a fair bit of good within the nation. Foreign policy was shambles and still is but at home, he did well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
I have been copying official EU statements recently
Then that may mean we need Morgsie to change or for a new Secretariat, but not that we should suspend the bloc.

Yes, but that assumes that I'm arguing that blocs should be suspended because of the incompetency of their leaders, but I'm not? I'm merely referring to the fact that your point was incorrect. :smile:
Reply 47
Yes, but that assumes that I'm arguing that blocs should be suspended because of the incompetency of their leaders, but I'm not? I'm merely referring to the fact that your point was incorrect. :smile:

Okay then, so that was a tangent. Lets go back to the argument then (post 41) was where we left off.

Again you're wrong. The Guidance Document ensures different levels of participation and membership and not everyone can participate. Furthermore all the items mentioned are again simply for the EU and not for the wider MUN so you're not giving back to the MUN. Frankly, suspend the EU Bloc (the Arab League as well for now, but that's getting somewhere) and let's focus our energies on the MUN in general and making it a place for all rather than focusing on the blocs which prohibit others from getting involved and encourage a clique style atmosphere off-putting to new members.
Reply 49
Original post by tehFrance
Yes I know, almost lost that... how people could have the nerve to vote for RON when they did not even bother to submit their own manifesto on time. Bastards!

And no you may not suggest that, the Russian Federation in agreement with the Kingdom of Spain are going to be taking over the EU Bloc, setting it up as explained in the Russian Federation's future on the wiki article that has not been posted yet, must chase that up.

Considering the abysmal job you did, I would be a lot better.

Original post by Morgsie
There will be serious problems if he is standing.

Children children play nice!
Reply 50
To clarify a point, I have been saying EU in posts made by me

Original post by Morgsie
The European Union welcomes the holding of a Summit today between the Presidents of Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa in a further effort to address outstanding post-secession issues between the two countries.

The EU applauds the continued engagement of former President Mbeki and the efforts made by Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn to bring the parties together. Reports of renewed fighting in the volatile border area demonstrate the urgent need to put border security mechanisms in place, including a Safe Demilitarised Border Zone and the Joint Border Verification and Monitoring Mission, in line with what has already been agreed.

The EU urges both Parties to proceed without delay with full implementation of all the agreements signed on 27 September 2012 and to address decisively other outstanding issues related to Abyei and borders, in accordance with the communiques issued by the African Union Peace and Security Council on 24 October and 14 December 2012.

Changed the words from High Representative to EU, taken from the EEAS website
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Again you're wrong. The Guidance Document ensures different levels of participation and membership and not everyone can participate. Furthermore all the items mentioned are again simply for the EU and not for the wider MUN so you're not giving back to the MUN. Frankly, suspend the EU Bloc (the Arab League as well for now, but that's getting somewhere) and let's focus our energies on the MUN in general and making it a place for all rather than focusing on the blocs which prohibit others from getting involved and encourage a clique style atmosphere off-putting to new members.

It does technically state that only member states can debate, but we have always ignored that rule in the past when any non-EU country has posted (not that anyone even knows of the 'rule'). Voting obviously is EU only, but other states can influence the vote by contributing to the debate. The Eu reforms were so far mostly all for the EU (apart from the Eurozone thing), but it still has potential to make more contributions to MUN (e.g. voting for Syria embargos, condemning some country collectively- we just need a strong EU Secreteriat and rep (have the two been merged yet?). It wouldn't be that off-putting if the EU rep/secreteriat welcomed new members to the bloc and briefly explained what the point is. Finally, the blocs allow us to have more interesting hyps: we tried some of that last time with an EU-group formed against Russia, and the AL could also get involved in future hypes
It does technically state that only member states can debate, but we have always ignored that rule in the past when any non-EU country has posted (not that anyone even knows of the 'rule'). Voting obviously is EU only, but other states can influence the vote by contributing to the debate. The Eu reforms were so far mostly all for the EU (apart from the Eurozone thing), but it still has potential to make more contributions to MUN (e.g. voting for Syria embargos, condemning some country collectively- we just need a strong EU Secreteriat and rep (have the two been merged yet?). It wouldn't be that off-putting if the EU rep/secreteriat welcomed new members to the bloc and briefly explained what the point is. Finally, the blocs allow us to have more interesting hyps: we tried some of that last time with an EU-group formed against Russia, and the AL could also get involved in future hypes

Again the roles were merged when this bloc began. All this doesn't really explain why we shouldn't suspend them for the time being. Why should we spend our time focused on a bloc which has begun to unravel when we could be spending that time on the MUN to develop it for all?
In that case we should extend the period for people to send a new manifesto. I have absolutely no intention of running in this election, but if no-one submits a manifesto for it then I (and I'm sure some other people as well) would be willing to put myself forward as a candidate to avoid the EU block being abolished.

Seems thoroughly pointless. If you don't want to be EU Bloc Secretariat, yet you put yourself forward, you're obviously reluctant to fill the role and thus won't be motivated to increase activity. So instead of kicking sand on the problem, we should eliminate it or suspend it.
Reply 54
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Seems thoroughly pointless. If you don't want to be EU Bloc Secretariat, yet you put yourself forward, you're obviously reluctant to fill the role and thus won't be motivated to increase activity. So instead of kicking sand on the problem, we should eliminate it or suspend it.

I don't want to do it as it would mean being unable to write any treaties/motions myself. That does not mean that if no one decides to run and I ended up with it I would be inactive. I'd do my best to provide regular updates, assuming there was something to update us on
I don't want to do it as it would mean being unable to write any treaties/motions myself. That does not mean that if no one decides to run and I ended up with it I would be inactive. I'd do my best to provide regular updates, assuming there was something to update us on

I know.

But what i'm saying is the EU Bloc is already a tremendous responsibility. Even more so if you add in a candidate who isn't standing because they want, they're standing because they have to.

It'd be much better to concentrate on the GA.

I think that what Cheese_Monster and I are trying to say is 'look the EU's great, but perhaps great for a time when we have a lot of active members and when the GA is highly active'. Another part that hasn't been followed is the rotating presidency of the EU. It would be worthwhile suspending the bloc for two reasons - one, it means that more focus can be put on the GA which will benefit this bloc long term and two, clearly either the Guidance Document is too complicated and needs time to be slimmed down (a suspension would allow this) or currently there aren't the candidates who can cope with it (hence suspension would allow time for a candidate to come forward). We're posting what we're posting because we want the bloc to do well, but we have to be realistic about the situation in order to start finding solutions and the current situation just isn't working.
I think that what Cheese_Monster and I are trying to say is 'look the EU's great, but perhaps great for a time when we have a lot of active members and when the GA is highly active'. Another part that hasn't been followed is the rotating presidency of the EU. It would be worthwhile suspending the bloc for two reasons - one, it means that more focus can be put on the GA which will benefit this bloc long term and two, clearly either the Guidance Document is too complicated and needs time to be slimmed down (a suspension would allow this) or currently there aren't the candidates who can cope with it (hence suspension would allow time for a candidate to come forward). We're posting what we're posting because we want the bloc to do well, but we have to be realistic about the situation in order to start finding solutions and the current situation just isn't working.

Aye, well said. The medicine is bitter, but we can't withhold the medicine because then the patient will never recover.

(Thank you Mrs Thatcher, or at least, the Iron Lady film I just watched haha)
Reply 58
Now if we put all this effort into actually stimulating debate in the GA, that would be a better use of our time and better in the long run for the MUN and (through high activity levels in the GA), the EU Bloc.
I'm also in favour of a suspension of blocs to focus on the GA, until activity is restored enough to maintain blocs as well.

I'll continue this election as promised, to ensure there's an interim EU bloc leader to look at reforming/relaunching the bloc later on during a suspension.

A vote on suspending the blocs will follow immediately so we can finally decide the direction of the two blocs in the next few months.
Reply 59
What would help a lot more was if we had a powerful EU rep who can comment and will debate on GA threads on behalf of the EU's position, but that is just as likely to happen here as it is in RL.
I would definitely consider creating an EU rep as a compromise if the EU Bloc is suspended.

Latest

Trending

Trending