The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE at BCU

Scroll to see replies

Hey, are you all starting the PGCE in Sept 2013? I have my interview for the Primary PGCE tomorrow! Nervous....!
Kelly :biggrin:
Reply 21
Hello,

Can you give any advice on the curriculum knowledge test is set out? Is it actually subject knowledge questions?
Thanks
Hi,
I received an email yesterday inviting me to an interview at BCU for next Wednesday! So I really don't have a lot of time, my background experience is in Early Years, not KS1&2, so I'm really panicking about the curriculum knowledge test. How much of the curriculum do I need to know?
I have been reading through the national curriculum but it is forever long... Any advice?

Also can someone give me examples of the questions in the one-to-one interview please.
Original post by SophieRose94
Hi,
I received an email yesterday inviting me to an interview at BCU for next Wednesday! So I really don't have a lot of time, my background experience is in Early Years, not KS1&2, so I'm really panicking about the curriculum knowledge test. How much of the curriculum do I need to know?
I have been reading through the national curriculum but it is forever long... Any advice?

Also can someone give me examples of the questions in the one-to-one interview please.

Hi SophieRose94,

Firstly, congratulations on your interview! :smile: just to clarify - is the interview for Primary & Early Years? I hope you don't mind me commenting, but I've asked a Senior Lecturer in Primary & Early Years Science Education your question, so hopefully their answer will help with your interview preparations. They said the following:

"The curriculum knowledge test has questions from all subject areas. Really most are general knowledge and you can't really revise the National Curriculum! There are calculations in the maths section so you could brush up on those. There isn't a pass mark but helps the candidate to reflect on their strengths and areas to develop.

At interview they will be asked why they want to teach and some of their experiences. They may be asked about what the current issues are for teachers."

If you'd like to ask anything else, please PM me and I'll forward on the relevant contact details to you.

I know it's easy to say, but please try not to worry - show off all you know and shine! GOOD LUCK :smile:

Anna
The BCU Team
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi SophieRose94,

Firstly, congratulations on your interview! :smile: just to clarify - is the interview for Primary & Early Years? I hope you don't mind me commenting, but I've asked a Senior Lecturer in Primary & Early Years Science Education your question, so hopefully their answer will help with your interview preparations. They said the following:

"The curriculum knowledge test has questions from all subject areas. Really most are general knowledge and you can't really revise the National Curriculum! There are calculations in the maths section so you could brush up on those. There isn't a pass mark but helps the candidate to reflect on their strengths and areas to develop.

At interview they will be asked why they want to teach and some of their experiences. They may be asked about what the current issues are for teachers."

If you'd like to ask anything else, please PM me and I'll forward on the relevant contact details to you.

I know it's easy to say, but please try not to worry - show off all you know and shine! GOOD LUCK :smile:

Anna
The BCU Team

Thank you so much, I can stop stressing now! Yes the Interview is for Primary & Early Years, I'm so excited but my nerves are taking over. Just to clarify, the questions in the curriculum test will be basic questions of each subject, such as a Maths equation, or a question related to English grammar etc?
Appreciate your help, I can focus on the other areas of the interview now :smile:
Original post by SophieRose94
Thank you so much, I can stop stressing now! Yes the Interview is for Primary & Early Years, I'm so excited but my nerves are taking over. Just to clarify, the questions in the curriculum test will be basic questions of each subject, such as a Maths equation, or a question related to English grammar etc?
Appreciate your help, I can focus on the other areas of the interview now :smile:

You're welcome :smile: oh yes I know that feeling - I tend to find that the day before exams I can be very nervous, but then on the day I say to myself "hey, I'm just going to do my best - that's all I can do!", and the nerves seem to settle slightly. Anyway, 'they' do say some nerves are good for the adrenaline boost!

I can confirm that the test will include maths/calculations and punctuation questions, amongst other subject questions.

All the best - let me know how you get on! :smile:

Anna
(BCU Team)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending