The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jirgoa
1.........Afrika is huge & the most diverse continent ever. You will find a person that looks like someone where, anywhere in Afrika. There are millions of dark skin, light skin or brown skin ( no mixing of races just naturally light skin) & then half castes. All complexions are in afrika with different eye colours & hair. Different shape nose & lips. You also have the oldest peoples of Afrika (khoi san) They are not mixed with any other race but they have very light skin also some of them as light as a mixed black&white person. Mandela is very light skin but he full afrikan. South Africa has more light or brown skin than in the whole of the carribean, botswana, zimbabwe, namibia, DRC etc have more brownish to light skin people. They are totally different from the west africans nigeria, ghana, sudan, gambia etc.

2........... The only africans who claim or want jamaicans are 1- some nigerian 2- some ghanian FULL STOP........ thats only 2 countries out of 50+ in the continent. Not all ghanians or nigerians claim carribeans there prolly 5% of the popul. So dont mean to burst yo lil bubbles but the rest of Afrika wouldnt give a toss about a carribean. Honestly prolly 50% never heard of the carribean or jamaica (not bcuz they dumb but simply bcuz knowing that is not gonna put food on their tables. & of the half that knows about you 20% think the whole carribean is jamaica 10% like the music but cant stand the people. 5% claim you. 25% just dont give a toss about you, what you do or what yur all about cuz real afrikans just dont care like that...

3......... There are more carribeans & african american that claim afrika, egypt, afrikan civilisations etc than there are afrikans claiming you people. Check youtube / Internet for evidence.

4........... The small number of Africans that knows about jamaica & the carribeans knows that the carribean is mixed & not everyone is of afrikan ancestry if any at all. Black people are found in afrika only or come from afrika. These island people should stop lying to themselves. The Afrikans in the carribean know themselves & they know they Afrikan & they connected to their roots. Some of thez comments be thiz mullatto confused breeds. Besides the carribean will have no black people soon just mullatto soon & once mullato marry mullatto&whites then the carribean will soon be a white island. & yes thats how the people have evolved over the years. They just need that blackness. When its wiped out of the carribean they will be another trick to collect the blackness out of afrika. Kmt

you sound very ignorant and unpleasant just like the Africans I discribe below, why would any jamaicancan want tbe claimed by Ghana or Nigeria.? Both filthy countries with uncontrolled AIDS And devil worship and corruption, give me nice clean jamaicans anytime., over a dirty fly infest west african country.
Original post by folashade
As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Before there is any misunderstanding this is just an epq project that I am conducting. I am of dual ethnicity; half Nigerian and half Jamaican. I would like to know what your views are. I do not like when Jamaicans and African countries fight each other. I feel it is not right because in my eye we are all brothers and sisters.

But why do we fight?

It is believed some Jamaican people do not like being called β€œAfricans”: they become upset by this.
I do not mind as we are all Africans in the end.

Prior to the arrival of Columbus in 1494, Jamaica was inhabited by Arawaks, living in simple communities based on fishing, hunting, and small scale cultivation of cassava.

Spanish was traumatic, and these communities disappeared in 70-80 years. After a brief period of experimenting with indentured European labor, the British turned to large scale importation of Africans to be used as slaves on the sugar plantations.

They believe that the first generation of Jamaicans were Spaniards and Arawaks right? And that the British brought African slaves to Jamaica (who were called Hispaniola at that time ) just to work on their plantations. SO………….us Jamaicans just adapted to the country.

I would like to know…..
What your views are on this….leave your comments at the bottom of this post.
So I just want to know As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Leave your comments and say why
THANK YOU!!!!
:smile:

I am proudly Nigerian, African and British as well. I was born and raised in Nigeria, Naturalised as a British. Someone said Africans and Jamaicans hate each other.!!!.
That is not true. A true African would politely correct you if you erroneously identify him as Jamaican. I know some Jamaican friends who would not feel insulted if called Africans. Some are actually proud to identify with Africa.
If there is any animosity or denial especially amongst some Jamaicans or other people of Caribbean background, I think it would stem from the media portrayal of Africa. Some news and images both on televisions and internet are that of hunger, strife, war and diseases. Most of the news are very negative. No one wants to associate with bad news. As someone of Nigerian background, people from my part of Nigeria do not witness most of the news coming out especially from BBC and co. religious conflict happens mainly in the northern part of the country, the people in the southern parts of Nigeria have their own challenges but do rarely witness such. Nigerians and most Africans work very hard, are educated and have very strong mental attitudes.
I often hear people asking 'are you going back to Africa'..i think that question is silly...That is a lot of difference between a Ghanaian person and a Somali..There is likewise a lot of difference between a Zimbabwean and an Eritrean..Africa is vast with lots of nationalities, same as Europe. It is same as comparing someone from Latvia to Portugal. You cant really use events in Ukraine, Russia or Moldova to judge that of France, Germany, UK and Spain.
If any Jamaican is offended because he is called African, that person is simply very ignorant and have serious inferiority complex issues.
(edited 9 years ago)
No. I feel Caribbean.
Original post by + polarity -
All people are Africans :france:

but not all Africans are people :colonhash::colonhash:

Spoiler

As a West Indian, I feel VERY West Indian. I honestly don't get why if we're not from a place, we'd have to associate with there.

I am what I am - which is Caribbean.
Why on earth would any of them want to feel African. Its a cesspit of culturally inferior values beaten only by the Muslim world.
Not really. I'm half Jamaican and half Trinidadian.

Original post by NathanW18
No. I feel Caribbean.

Ur Jamaican?
Original post by One of many
My parents are from Jamaica Biologically I know my 70% ancestry is african 30%european and Asian ,but culturally I don't want to be associated with the Africans I see here in the UK, nigerians, Ghanan's, Somalis, Kenyans, Zimbaweans, South africans are the worst they are very dishonest and lazy This is also because of the way they conduct themselves in public the behave like they think they are superior to everyone but their actions look very primitive( the way they walk and speak) and unsophisticated mannerisms. They have a facial expressions which gives the impression that they are dead inside, with flat soulless eyes which I find unnatural and sinister. As a woman I don't want African men to speak to me, they have no manners or knowledge of sexual boundaries and poor personal hygeine, they eye you up shamelessly, this is very off putting and disrespectful.
Africans act like they have no self respect around white people they want them to like them so much that they grovel to white people, it's embarrassing, why would I want to be associated with such people. I think caribbean people are more attractive and have more dignity than most africans ESP west and South Africans who will do anything for money and are expert fraudsters and liars. They think the world owes them a living and they don't want to work for it if the can get it by dishonest means or witch craft.

Yeah yeah yeah enough with the trolling dude
Original post by folashade
As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Before there is any misunderstanding this is just an epq project that I am conducting. I am of dual ethnicity; half Nigerian and half Jamaican. I would like to know what your views are. I do not like when Jamaicans and African countries fight each other. I feel it is not right because in my eye we are all brothers and sisters.

But why do we fight?

It is believed some Jamaican people do not like being called β€œAfricans”: they become upset by this.
I do not mind as we are all Africans in the end.

Prior to the arrival of Columbus in 1494, Jamaica was inhabited by Arawaks, living in simple communities based on fishing, hunting, and small scale cultivation of cassava.

Spanish was traumatic, and these communities disappeared in 70-80 years. After a brief period of experimenting with indentured European labor, the British turned to large scale importation of Africans to be used as slaves on the sugar plantations.

They believe that the first generation of Jamaicans were Spaniards and Arawaks right? And that the British brought African slaves to Jamaica (who were called Hispaniola at that time ) just to work on their plantations. SO………….us Jamaicans just adapted to the country.

I would like to know…..
What your views are on this….leave your comments at the bottom of this post.
So I just want to know As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Leave your comments and say why
THANK YOU!!!!
:smile:

Is your mothers name Ai***** Idahosa by any chance.
Original post by keromedic
Ur Jamaican?

Half. My dad was born there.
My parets are from Jamaica.

To answer your question..I in no way feel African. Jamaicans even look different to Africans, my family has both Asian and white in.. my nan is practically Asian in skintone and features. Theres alot of half black half asian people in Jamaica alot of people are mixed (we call them coolies). I just acknowledge that we originated from Africa.. but then again didn't we all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Half Antiguan Half Kenyan :smile:
Original post by One of many
My parents are from Jamaica Biologically I know my 70% ancestry is african 30%european and Asian ,but culturally I don't want to be associated with the Africans I see here in the UK, nigerians, Ghanan's, Somalis, Kenyans, Zimbaweans, South africans are the worst they are very dishonest and lazy This is also because of the way they conduct themselves in public the behave like they think they are superior to everyone but their actions look very primitive( the way they walk and speak) and unsophisticated mannerisms. They have a facial expressions which gives the impression that they are dead inside, with flat soulless eyes which I find unnatural and sinister. As a woman I don't want African men to speak to me, they have no manners or knowledge of sexual boundaries and poor personal hygeine, they eye you up shamelessly, this is very off putting and disrespectful.
Africans act like they have no self respect around white people they want them to like them so much that they grovel to white people, it's embarrassing, why would I want to be associated with such people. I think caribbean people are more attractive and have more dignity than most africans ESP west and South Africans who will do anything for money and are expert fraudsters and liars. They think the world owes them a living and they don't want to work for it if the can get it by dishonest means or witch craft.

WTF is this.

I don't think any Africans would claim you anyway.
Reply 153
All this back and forth trash talk when the answer is simple. Let me make this clear to black people who are descendants of the trans-Atlantic slave trade(American, Jamaican, Haitian, etc...). It does not matter if you don't feel African. You are African regardless. Genetically you are an African. I don't get the whole "their culture is different from ours so we're not African" BS. Culture has nothing to do with this discussion. If you wanna talk about culture, realize that Europeans made sure to beat whatever African culture we had, out of us. It wasn't willingly forgotten or given up by black people. It was literally taken. The fact that so many of you are offended at being called African when that's clearly what you are just shows how devastating slavery was and how it still has a hold on us today.

Just because you're ancestors were sold and/or kidnapped, does not erase your African genetics. On average, all of us our 70% or more indigenous African. It varies from person to person. Some are 80% or more and some are 90% or more. Also, depending on the context, an ethnicity can be considered a racial indicator. American cannot and will not ever be considered a race. If someone says they're Nigerian tho, most of the time it's an indication that that they are of indigenous African descent. No, I will not use the term sub-Saharan.

For all the people who keep saying "I'm half Jamaican" or "I'm mixed with this, that, and the third." Please shut up because no one was talking to you. This discussion was obviously for black people. Not coolies, coloreds, half caste, or whatever your country calls mixed race individuals. Of course you're not gonna feel African. Because you're not. Leave this discussion for people who only identifies themselves as black, and come from two black parents. White people need to stay out of this as well. You've caused enough separation within our community. Go away and mind your business.
Original post by amtopm
All this back and forth trash talk when the answer is simple. Let me make this clear to black people who are descendants of the trans-Atlantic slave trade(American, Jamaican, Haitian, etc...). It does not matter if you don't feel African. You are African regardless. Genetically you are an African. I don't get the whole "their culture is different from ours so we're not African" BS. Culture has nothing to do with this discussion. If you wanna talk about culture, realize that Europeans made sure to beat whatever African culture we had, out of us. It wasn't willingly forgotten or given up by black people. It was literally taken. The fact that so many of you are offended at being called African when that's clearly what you are just shows how devastating slavery was and how it still has a hold on us today.

Just because you're ancestors were sold and/or kidnapped, does not erase your African genetics. On average, all of us our 70% or more indigenous African. It varies from person to person. Some are 80% or more and some are 90% or more. Also, depending on the context, an ethnicity can be considered a racial indicator. American cannot and will not ever be considered a race. If someone says they're Nigerian tho, most of the time it's an indication that that they are of indigenous African descent. No, I will not use the term sub-Saharan.

For all the people who keep saying "I'm half Jamaican" or "I'm mixed with this, that, and the third." Please shut up because no one was talking to you. This discussion was obviously for black people. Not coolies, coloreds, half caste, or whatever your country calls mixed race individuals. Of course you're not gonna feel African. Because you're not. Leave this discussion for people who only identifies themselves as black, and come from two black parents. White people need to stay out of this as well. You've caused enough separation within our community. Go away and mind your business.

Few people if any are going to be purely African across all the generations first of all. Secondly we're talking about national identity and culture. Caribbeans aren't African just as Americans and Australians are not European. Genetics don't come into it, 'African' is not an ethnicity.
who cares what Jamaicans think of Africa and Africans?
I have met some Jamaicans who despise and hate Africans for no apparent reason other than ignorance.
Africa is a continent with so many countries , different cultures and people.it is stupid to think Nigeria or Ghana is what the rest of Africa is all about.

Jamaicans are children of slaves with white man names..Africans are not slaves.Africans value Education.Jamaicans are loud and rude with criminal mind.
Original post by Ebuwa
looool you are so funny , go and post that in the somali society

not only somalia but some countries such as sudan,libya, are members of the arab league.
Reply 157
Original post by mauritania
I have met some Jamaicans who despise and hate Africans for no apparent reason other than ignorance.
Africa is a continent with so many countries , different cultures and people.it is stupid to think Nigeria or Ghana is what the rest of Africa is all about.

Jamaicans are children of slaves with white man names..Africans are not slaves.Africans value Education.Jamaicans are loud and rude with criminal mind.

The irony. You are extremely ignorant.
FYI not all Jamaicans all black. So to say Jamaicans are children of slaves is incorrect. It is quite a 'racially' diverse country i.e there are black Jamaicans who are mostly descendents of enslaved Africans, German Jamaicans, Chinese Jamaicans, Indian Jamaicans, those of Taino descent etc. There is a history of inter cultural mixing so ..
Sigh at your other generalisations.
not only somalia but some countries such as sudan,libya, are members of the arab league.

Erm that quote is over a year ago
Yes, SOME Jamaicans are descent from Africans, which are many years ago. Those who came over from Africa had died out already and those who are born after being brought to that country is therefore. Jamaican as they were not born in Africa. Jamaicans gained independence along time ago and strongly believe that they are truly Jamaicans and not any other. They like to be known as they are, being Jamaican, as they are born and raised in that country. Being called a different ethnic group, probably upsets them as they weren't born nor raised and probably never been to Africa. To them, it might be upsetting to be called something that they are not.

You say that there are issues needed to be cleared up. TBH no there is non!! Some Jamaicans are descent but that is many many year sago and those have died. They are born and raised in that island, therefore they are Jamaicans. They're culture, language and background are different.

LOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! Kill me dead now... Please stop your non-sense. You sound like an idiot!!! Jamaicans are children of slaves and Africans are not?!?!?!?! hahahahah!!!!1 Don't let me laugh until I pee myself please..Look how many white loud people are loud. Look how many Africans are loud. Look how many other ethnic group are loud.
Y Africans care so much about what Jamaicans think of them?!?!?!?!Jamaicans got independence how many years go, while Africans just recently did. Their island is lovely and beautiful and welcome and treat every single person who enters their island with love, respect and equality. They just like to think of themself as being outstanding rather than being classed under something. Jamaicans and Africans are you different people. The only thing that SOME Jamaicans might have in common is their sink tone.Therefore, it would upset them to be labelled and as being Africans when they are not.
So please stop your non-sense

Latest