The Student Room Group

If YOU ARE A JAMAICAN, DO YOU FEEL THAT YOU ARE AFRICAN?

As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Before there is any misunderstanding this is just an epq project that I am conducting. I am of dual ethnicity; half Nigerian and half Jamaican. I would like to know what your views are. I do not like when Jamaicans and African countries fight each other. I feel it is not right because in my eye we are all brothers and sisters.

But why do we fight?

It is believed some Jamaican people do not like being called “Africans”: they become upset by this.
I do not mind as we are all Africans in the end.

Prior to the arrival of Columbus in 1494, Jamaica was inhabited by Arawaks, living in simple communities based on fishing, hunting, and small scale cultivation of cassava.

Spanish was traumatic, and these communities disappeared in 70-80 years. After a brief period of experimenting with indentured European labor, the British turned to large scale importation of Africans to be used as slaves on the sugar plantations.

They believe that the first generation of Jamaicans were Spaniards and Arawaks right? And that the British brought African slaves to Jamaica (who were called Hispaniola at that time ) just to work on their plantations. SO………….us Jamaicans just adapted to the country.

I would like to know…..
What your views are on this….leave your comments at the bottom of this post.
So I just want to know As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Leave your comments and say why
THANK YOU!!!!
:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm half Jamaican, half French-Mauritian and nope, I don't feel African. I feel Caribbean and British really, because I was raised here, my parents were raised here, and I've never lived in Jamaica/Mauritius.
Jamaican me crazy mon

Does it matter? In the end we are all humans. No group of humans is superior to any other, nor inferior. Each 'race' is equal. There's nothing wrong with being called African (unless they are factually not African). Just my two cents.
Reply 3
Thanks for the comments. i really appreciate them. I noticed that some jamaicans get upset just because an indiviual called them an african. I understand why but still if you are black, the first thing people will think is that you are african. I do not mind being called an african as i am both jamaican and nigerian and so it does not matter. its just that there are some issues that need to be cleared up.
Reply 4
Original post by folashade
As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Before there is any misunderstanding this is just an epq project that I am conducting. I am of dual ethnicity; half Nigerian and half Jamaican. I would like to know what your views are. I do not like when Jamaicans and African countries fight each other. I feel it is not right because in my eye we are all brothers and sisters.

But why do we fight?

It is believed some Jamaican people do not like being called “Africans”: they become upset by this.
I do not mind as we are all Africans in the end.

Prior to the arrival of Columbus in 1494, Jamaica was inhabited by Arawaks, living in simple communities based on fishing, hunting, and small scale cultivation of cassava.

Spanish was traumatic, and these communities disappeared in 70-80 years. After a brief period of experimenting with indentured European labor, the British turned to large scale importation of Africans to be used as slaves on the sugar plantations.

They believe that the first generation of Jamaicans were Spaniards and Arawaks right? And that the British brought African slaves to Jamaica (who were called Hispaniola at that time ) just to work on their plantations. SO………….us Jamaicans just adapted to the country.

I would like to know…..
What your views are on this….leave your comments at the bottom of this post.
So I just want to know As a Jamaican person, do you feel you are from the African descent?

Leave your comments and say why
THANK YOU!!!!
:smile:

what do you JAMAICAN bruv. I though you lot were British?????? or is that only on specific occasions.
Reply 5
Original post by United4prem
what do you JAMAICAN bruv. I though you lot were British?????? or is that only on specific occasions.

They were Colonised by uk yes but they claim they are jamaicans as in the true jamaican. It doesnt matter really. I have got a friend who is jamaican who thinks that africans are dirty and stink all the time and she says she does not like them. By the way i am not male, i am female. lol.

Note: You used the word "bruv".
Reply 6
They were Colonised by uk yes but they claim they are jamaicans as in the true jamaican. It doesnt matter really. I have got a friend who is jamaican who thinks that africans are dirty and stink all the time and she says she does not like them. By the way i am not male, i am female. lol.

Note: You used the word "bruv".

portugal was colonized by the roman empire. nt sure they call themselves italians.
Reply 7
Yes.
Reply 8
Original post by oj234
Yes.

Why do you feel you are african? or do you just accept that that is your true history and that all black people are africans?
Reply 9
Original post by United4prem
portugal was colonized by the roman empire. nt sure they call themselves italians.

I did not say that jamaicans call themselves british because they were colonised by the uk. i am saying that some jamaicans are denying their true history which is that they are africans even though their relatives or sibblings or maybe they were born in jamaica, in the end they are still africans. You get me now?
Why do you feel you are african? or do you just accept that that is your true history and that all black people are africans?

All people are Africans :france:
Reply 11
This true history stuff seems a bit far away to matter really - I mean technically the human race originated in Africa so should we all say that we're African? Jamaica is an independent state and has had its own national identity for long enough that I think people are more than entitled to say that they are Jamaican, not African or anything else regardless of where their ancestors came from hundreds of years ago.
Reply 12
Original post by + polarity -
All people are Africans :france:

I hear that quite a lot but i do not believe that. Really? then if this is true how come everyone has different colour of skin?
Reply 13

I'm not really Jamaican. However, I feel that this thread should have been worded differently.

Just like how anyone born in Britain is British, A Jamaican is anyone who was born in Jamaica. 10% of Jamaicans are not black and therefore do not feel like they are African.

If I posted a similar thread asking Brits whether they feel that they are anglo-saxon, I'm sure many of the Brits on here who have darker skin would say that they do not, considering 15% of British people are not.
Reply 14
Original post by Joker370
This true history stuff seems a bit far away to matter really - I mean technically the human race originated in Africa so should we all say that we're African? Jamaica is an independent state and has had its own national identity for long enough that I think people are more than entitled to say that they are Jamaican, not African or anything else regardless of where their ancestors came from hundreds of years ago.

I am not saying that they are not entitled to their nationality but what i am asking is why do some jamaicans hate africans and get very upset when being called an african. I mean if someone sees me now they wouldnt be able to tell were i am from because i am black so they assume i am an african. it is only when i speak they know that say i am from jamaica and then the next time they are lost because they hear me talking as an african. lollllll
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by oj234
I'm not really Jamaican. However, I feel that this thread should have been worded differently.

Just like how anyone born in Britain is British, A Jamaican is anyone who was born in Jamaica. 10% of Jamaicans are not black and therefore do not feel like they are African.

If I posted a similar thread asking Brits whether they feel that they are anglo-saxon, I'm sure many of the Brits on here who have darker skin would say that they do not, considering 15% of British people are not.

How would you have worded it? I need all this comments for my project.

Sorry i thought you were jamaican!!!!!!
So everyone else gets to identify with a country, but Jamaicans and others from the Caribbean are to identify with a continent?

Jamaicans and other sovereign states in the Caribbean have had their own identity for many many years. So much so that people will connect over their country than race.

It is also to do with culture. I'm sure you OP have noticed the cultural differences between your parents being that they are Nigerian and Jamaican.

We could also attack this from the other side, I don't see too many west Africans welcoming Caribbeans with open arms.
Reply 17
My understanding is that Jamaicans and Africans hate each other. Though the Rastafari movement which is based out of Jamaica worships the deceased Haile Selassie as their messiah and he was Emperor of Ethiopia, so I guess not all Jamaicans and Africans dislike each other.
Reply 18
I'm not Jamaican, but my grandad is black and from Trinidad, (my dad is then half and I'm a quarter) and that side of my family doesn't affiliate itself with Africa or Africans at all! You're trying to pigeonhole black people saying that they should all consider themselves African. At the end of the day it's their NATIONALITY, they're born and raised in that country so they identify with it. You're getting ethnicity and nationality completely mixed up, yes Jamaicans and Africans share (pretty much) the same ethnicity (though Jamaicans will be a little diverse seeing as their ancestors probably mixed with native, white, Asian) but they do not share the same nationality and the same culture. It's like saying 'why don't Canadians, Americans, Australians and South Africans just call themselves Europeans?' Because that would be ****ing ridiculous. Oh and all the black people and Asians from those countries or even Europe who identify as American/Australian/southafrican/Canadian/British etc would have to start saying they were 'African' or from Asia, even if they have no cultural ties and the place seems strange to them.
Reply 19
Original post by Newtothis83
So everyone else gets to identify with a country, but Jamaicans and others from the Caribbean are to identify with a continent?

Jamaicans and other sovereign states in the Caribbean have had their own identity for many many years. So much so that people will connect over their country than race.

It is also to do with culture. I'm sure you OP have noticed the cultural differences between your parents being that they are Nigerian and Jamaican.

We could also attack this from the other side, I don't see too many west Africans welcoming Caribbeans with open arms.

That is also another issue. Some africans do not like jamaicans. Especially, in london, i heard a ghanian saying "Llow me mon" and that same person say they do not like jamaicans.

Latest