The Student Room Group

Belfast Riots?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KerryF94
There are riots every July because of the Protestant parade and they havent done anything yet :/

Yeah I know, funny because i'm actually a descendant from the founder of the orange order who do the parades, but that's another story.. i think it's such a sensitive issue in Northern Ireland so the government think if they do anything about it then it will result in a rebellion or revolution or something of that sort, so they just leave it be i guess
Reply 41
Original post by Steve1654
I think the violence is unnecessary but Northern Ireland just has two sides of passionate religious group with different ideas and there's a lot of history between them, but with the flag situation i think it's ridiculous that they are restricting the flying of the union flag. After all it's part of Britain and will be for time to come. I don't know a lot about Northern Irish politics but there must be some way the central government in London can overrule this? (Correct my if i'm wrong) :smile:

They're not really restricting the flying of the flag, the council is just choosing not to fly it every day, just like most councils in the UK do.

The UK government could overrule it if they really wanted to, but that would probably cause more problems. It would undermine both the Belfast city council and the Northern Ireland assembly.
Original post by Steve1654
I think the violence is unnecessary but Northern Ireland just has two sides of passionate religious group with different ideas and there's a lot of history between them, but with the flag situation i think it's ridiculous that they are restricting the flying of the union flag. After all it's part of Britain and will be for time to come. I don't know a lot about Northern Irish politics but there must be some way the central government in London can overrule this? (Correct my if i'm wrong) :smile:

taking down a country flag is a mass insult to the people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Lust of a Gardener
When a symbol can inspire such adoration and unbridled Patriotism, can you imagine for a moment that it could also inspire the complete opposite. Whilst I can understand your profession that the Union Flag is a symbol of "inclusiveness" and a "United future", I can't help but feel that this is nothing short of a Romantic ideal that would serve better in Finchley than in the Politically charged streets of Belfast.

It must be understood that in Northern Ireland the Union Flag is not considered simply a National Flag; it transcends this definition to become an all-encompassing symbol of Religion, Ethnicity, Tribalism, and Political affiliation. It simply can't be what you want it to be, unless the entire population of Northern Ireland volunteers for a dose of self-induced Amnesia (Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea).

Not amnesia, simply change. People's attitudes to flags and emblems, and their associations, alter. Once upon a time, the Lib Dems lambasted Labour's Dundee City Council for displaying the Palestinian flag among a display of national flags of twinned towns calling it the "PLO flag".

The twinning arrangement is still in place and a Palestinian flag still sits beside the Union Jack and the flags of France, Croatia, Germany, the US and the UAE. Today no-one would bat an eyelid.

In NI, it was a criminal offence to display the Irish tricolour under many circumstances, and it was expressly named in legislation. That sort of nonsense has also been swept away by the tides of change.

I won't lie; I wouldn't be particularly concerned if the flag was once again raised over Belfast City Hall on a permanent basis, but I would be truly devastated if it was these apparent "Protests" that provided the catalyst to reverse the decision. It simply has to be understood that throwing your toys out of the pram and flexing your muscles is not an acceptable way to behave when you disagree with a decision made by a Local Council. Saying otherwise just reinforces a very dangerous and undemocratic mentality.

Meh, I've never been any great fan of protests and "demonstrations". I find the whole process quite childish generally.
Reply 44
Original post by unclekevo
Trying to make the Union flag a symbol of both communities won't work, regardless of what way you look at it, many Catholics do and always will see it as a symbol of oppression, a symbol of the violence in the 70's and 80's just as many Unionists view the Tricolour

You will always get unreconstructed dinosaurs on both sides. Realistically though, as long as Northern Ireland is part of the UK, that is the national flag, the Queen is our head of state and our collective nationality is British. It is incumbent upon us to make all these things as welcoming as possible to minority groups.

We cannot limit the use of the national flag, but there is nothing overtly problematic about a combination of three patron saints' crosses. The Queen has made great efforts to improve relations in Ireland and the British state have gone a long way to helping create a post-conflict environment.

the only way NI can have any hope of going forward is to create a new flag that is symbolic of both sides of the community, yes it would probably be met with a dose of skepticism but both flags have far too much history and association with violence. I believe the main politicians from both sides of the community need to come together and agree on a symbol to represent a united NI, inclusive of Unionists, Nationalists, everyone in NI. Neutral colours, similar to the EU flag is probably the only way forward because if Nationalists were to see red, white and blue, they would see it as oppressive to them, on the other hand, green, white and orange would obviously be oppressive to some Unionists.

I have no particular problem with a new flag of Northern Ireland, but the problem is that it is a subnational flag. The Union Jack is the national flag, and that's unlikely to change any time soon.

I always liked this design--

Spoiler

There was once the suggestion it would be unacceptable to the Nationalist community because the six-pointed star represented the six counties of Northern Ireland. Which is clearly an absurd complaint when designing a flag of Northern Ireland...

For our part, the people of Great Britain seem to have taken to the St Patrick's Cross as the flag of NI. I saw it used for the Jubilee and flies to represent NI at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo every year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom
Why do Catholics and Protestants argue so much as if they are the two religions most likely to be true. Maybe if they realized that there are other religions out their not just each other, they would realise how stupid and narrow minded they are being and fighting over a pointless cause.

The "Northern Irish Issue" has never really been a religious one. It's a clash of cultural identity and political affiliation between those who view themselves as Irish and those who view themselves as British- that most Nationalists are of a Catholic background and most Unionists are of some Protestant denomination is fairly incidental and has to do with the historical background.

Traditionally the Irish Republican movement has claimed to be non-sectarian and was in fact founded by an Ulster Protestant- Wolfe Tone.
pisses me off so f!cking much

youre british, you dont need a flag to prove anything...i didnt even know there was a flag at city hall
plus,they need to learn violence wont achieve anything,theyre just undoing all work that made n.i a safe place to live..whereas now,i dont feel safe in my own country

dont they have anything better to do?
Seeing as they had the capacity to fly the national flag all the time, which most people agree on being in the UK seeing as we have something called the Good Friday Agreement, why did it need taking down? Yes, you can say 'does it kill you to not have it up?', but then we can say 'does it kill you to be reminded of the democratic political status of your little province/constituent country?' or 'does it kill you to have it there?'

You can't make an argument about taking it down by saying 'if you care so much about a bit of fabric...' because why would it's presence matter so much to you then? It's rather an ad hominem of an opinion, rendering yours completely useless.
Just to clarify the issues are because of the plantation etc. rather than religion and some retain the grudges. I could go into it in a lot more detail but this is definitely a regression.

I hate how my town is mentioned on the BBC website for all the wrong reasons in regards to the riots. Water cannons seem to be on the go every week during the riots. Plastic bullets were in use last night. Most people I know didn't even go out last night because of road blockages.

It is definitely harking back to the 70s were people were sent home from work early due to bomb scares. People during these riots have had to be sent earlier especially because they all start at 5:30 or 6.

Last night there was also protests in Glasgow and Liverpool too.

However there is also speculation that perhaps the protests are more than they seem and they are also trying to get rid of Peter Robinson through them in a similar manner to how he got rid of David Trimble.
Reply 49
Every-time this issue comes up in the news, someone always that the Unionist community feels that every step of the peace process has benefited the other side and has left them alienated. Don't know how true this though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by L i b
You will always get unreconstructed dinosaurs on both sides. Realistically though, as long as Northern Ireland is part of the UK, that is the national flag, the Queen is our head of state and our collective nationality is British. It is incumbent upon us to make all these things as welcoming as possible to minority groups.

We cannot limit the use of the national flag, but there is nothing overtly problematic about a combination of three patron saints' crosses. The Queen has made great efforts to improve relations in Ireland and the British state have gone a long way to helping create a post-conflict environment.

I have no particular problem with a new flag of Northern Ireland, but the problem is that it is a subnational flag. The Union Jack is the national flag, and that's unlikely to change any time soon.

I always liked this design--

Spoiler

There was once the suggestion it would be unacceptable to the Nationalist community because the six-pointed star represented the six counties of Northern Ireland. Which is clearly an absurd complaint when designing a flag of Northern Ireland...

For our part, the people of Great Britain seem to have taken to the St Patrick's Cross as the flag of NI. I saw it used for the Jubilee and flies to represent NI at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo every year.

Most people in Northern Ireland who see themselves as Irish have a deep affinity with that identity and to expect them to assimilate to being British over time is a bit unrealistic. Rather than as you, quite reasonably, suggest that they be made welcome as British citizens in NI, they should be made feel that their Irish identity and their right to that identity is protected by them living within the Union. If they can be Irish, have an Irish passport, fly their tri-colour, speak Irish and play Gaelic Games without fear of repression or discrimination while living within the Union- where is the reason to threaten that Union?

In fact the GFA sort of does this- Northern Nationalists are entitled to an Irish passport as a birth right but the people of the Republic of Ireland retracted their territorial claim to the 6 counties in Articles 2 and 3 of the Constitution.
Reply 51
i might be wrong but is the Union Jack not outdated? I think the red diagonal cross symbolises the St Patricks cross to represent Ireland but it isn't Ireland they are representing now, it's 6 counties in the north, a petrol bomb could be added to represent northern ireland.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
The whole issue really winds me up. It was a deliberate attempt by SF to annoy unionists. No-one actually gave a damn day-to-day. SF said that the Union flag was intimidating and that they have recieved complaints. It turned out they had recieved 6 complaints and in a survey only something like 8% of people said they didn't like the flag being there.

Now we are in a situation where the flag could go back up - sending the message that violence and intimidation work - or the flag could stay down - leaving unionists continuing to protest and the unionist communities thinking that they don't have a voice in Stormont.

A stupid political game by SF has made a huge moutain out of nothing.
I'm half Irish (Republic of Ireland). It's just a feckin' flag for feck sake!
Reply 54
Original post by PierceBrosnan
I'm half Irish (Republic of Ireland). It's just a feckin' flag for feck sake!

I dare you to say that on a visit to the Shankhill Road :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
I dare you to say that on a visit to the Shankhill Road :tongue:

With a name like that :rolleyes:. I don't follow dares, particularly political dares.
Reply 56
Original post by flugelr
The whole issue really winds me up. It was a deliberate attempt by SF to annoy unionists. No-one actually gave a damn day-to-day. SF said that the Union flag was intimidating and that they have recieved complaints. It turned out they had recieved 6 complaints and in a survey only something like 8% of people said they didn't like the flag being there.

Now we are in a situation where the flag could go back up - sending the message that violence and intimidation work - or the flag could stay down - leaving unionists continuing to protest and the unionist communities thinking that they don't have a voice in Stormont.

A stupid political game by SF has made a huge moutain out of nothing.

A political game by SF yes. But they won, and you're only stupid when you lose. The DUP and the UUP played party politics as well by dropping all those leaflets targeting the Alliance Party in the hope of winning back seats. That was equally cynical and political.
Reply 57
Original post by DK_Tipp
A political game by SF yes. But they won, and you're only stupid when you lose. The DUP and the UUP played party politics as well by dropping all those leaflets targeting the Alliance Party in the hope of winning back seats. That was equally cynical and political.

I agree, but I think that taking down the flag was always going to be a bigger issue than putting some nasty leaflets out.

Got to say I'm shocked by the news coverage we're getting. Firstly, all we hear about are the minority rioting in Belfast. Tonight there have been protests in Belfast (East, Brown Sq and Woodstock), Armargh, Maghera, Lisburn, Portadown etc. All but East Belfast have been totally peaceful. Secondly, the coverage seems hugely one-sided against the unionists. Obviously, the vast majority of the riots have been unionist, but to see Gerry Adams parading around Short Strand 'comforting' the residents who attacked a peaceful demonstration - who were forced to walk past the Short Strand area by the PSNI - was just too much for me.
Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom
Why do Catholics and Protestants argue so much as if they are the two religions most likely to be true. Maybe if they realized that there are other religions out their not just each other, they would realise how stupid and narrow minded they are being and fighting over a pointless cause.

The problems in Northern Ireland have never been about religion. They've been about unionism and nationalism, the majority of nationalists are catholic and the majority of unionists are protestants.

For hundreds of years people have died for Ireland, it's not a pointless cause, we feel very strongly about it. You clearly have no understanding of the situation.
Original post by llessur123
The problems in Northern Ireland have never been about religion. They've been about unionism and nationalism, the majority of nationalists are catholic and the majority of unionists are protestants.

For hundreds of years people have died for Ireland, it's not a pointless cause, we feel very strongly about it. You clearly have no understanding of the situation.

Sorry, I don't know much about it, your right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending