The Student Room Group

MSc Finance with 66-67 overall for BSC Econ from bad uni

Hi,

I obtained a 66 for the first year of my BSC Economics degree from a bad uni in the UK, with a First in Quantitative Methods 1 (including exam).

I will probably get a 67-68 in year two, including a First in Quantitative Methods 2, and a 66-67 overall for the whole BSc course.

Which unis could be realistic alternatives for an MSc FInance, or a similar qualification? Could any of Edinburgh, Manchester, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Leeds, Bath, Imperial, Strathclyde, Liverpool, Lancaster, Loughborough, or St Andrews be realsitic possibilities? Which uni would you recommend? I am an EU national and I might work in the UK or abroad after graduation, so UK and international reputation is important to me.

My country's government will pay for my MSc unless I choose Cass, so I will not have any financial issues if I go to another uni.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
(edited 11 years ago)
You will get an offer from all universities except LSE and maybe Warwick and Imperial. You will definitely get an offer from CASS etc.
I dont think the reputation of the uni will affect your application. You seem to have good grade anw, just take a shot. Although like the above guy said, it may be hard for LSE as i remember they require a first.
Reply 3
Do you have any extenuating circumstances for achieving your grade? also, do you have any work experience such as internships? If not then frankly, you will not obtain admission in most of the universities listed above.

Though university reputation doesn't matter, it does if you only achieve a 2:1. You may have a chance at Strathclyde or Loughborough but if your references are generic and your professors don't remember you then it is highly improbable you'll be accepted to most universities on that list with exceptions such as Strathclyde, Bath, Lancaster, Loughborough and Birmingham. You have absolutely no chance at LSE, Warwick, Imperial, Edinburgh.

However, I encourage you to apply to as many as you can but prospectivEEconomist's statement that you'll get into all the universities except the ones he listed is a ridiculously deluded. Oh yes and remember you stand a good chance with a terrific GMAT score which may help you gain admission to the top Universities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Oceanic
Do you have any extenuating circumstances for achieving your grade? also, do you have any work experience such as internships? If not then frankly, you will not obtain admission in most of the universities listed above.

Though university reputation doesn't matter, it does if you only achieve a 2:1. You may have a chance at Strathclyde or Loughborough but if your references are generic and your professors don't remember you then it is highly improbable you'll be accepted to most universities on that list with exceptions such as Strathclyde, Bath, Lancaster, Loughborough and Birmingham. You have absolutely no chance at LSE, Warwick, Imperial, Edinburgh.

However, I encourage you to apply to as many as you can but prospectivEEconomist's statement that you'll get into all the universities except the ones he listed is a ridiculously deluded. Oh yes and remember you stand a good chance with a terrific GMAT score which may help you gain admission to the top Universities.

My lecturers remember me well and I have quite a lot of contact with them, especially with the course leader and for my lecturer in a quantitative subject (for this subject I'm expecting a mid-to-high First). I might be able to get a First if everything goes as well as I hope... I'd say it's a 50% chance I'll get a First, especially because my university will bump most students who have 68 or better up to a First (I didn't know this until this mornng). To be honest, 66 or 67 was an underestimation (I've re-calculated my predicted grades for this year, and also considered the fact that I might do worse next year).

Do you think I would need a First in order to have a chance at any top MSc programme? Would this be enough by itself to get accepted by, for example, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, Edinburgh, or Manchester do you think?

I will have strong references and hopefully a summer internship this year (but probably at a small firm in a relatively small European capital).
Reply 5
You will definitely be to able get to Cass.
A friend of mine studying law at LSE is nowhere close to your grade and struggling to get a 2:1 at the moment.
He still managed to get an offer from Cass.

However, it would be tough for LSE, please correct me if I am wrong, as I believe they have a preference towards international student (personal experience). Also the competition is really high in LSE, they only have 90 intakes out of over 1500 applications over the past years and most are professionals too. Therefore I believe it is tough for fresh grad to get in without exceptional grades. However, you can give it a try. I would say you have a better chance for Edinburgh, Warwick and Manchester as I have similar grade as you do and I have offer from WBS.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending