The Student Room Group

AQA AS Environmental Studies Unit 1: Jan 2013

I don't think there is a thread for Environmental Studies so I thought I'd start one :3 I was wondering how are all of you finding the subject and what would you say you find most difficult or hard to revise? For me it has to be the legislation and the measuring of population sizes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've only just started my revision :/ I also have a sociology exam on the same day! I'm so nervous. I'm finding practical skills difficult- so yeah measure of populations. I get them all mixed up and then just too much too learn in one night -.-
Original post by Wizkidani
I've only just started my revision :/ I also have a sociology exam on the same day! I'm so nervous. I'm finding practical skills difficult- so yeah measure of populations. I get them all mixed up and then just too much too learn in one night -.-

I haven't revised a whole lot cause I was revising more for my psycholoy exam. Me too, I really dislike practical skills to and also land resources. I know, I havent really revised the practical skills and they come up in nearly every exam. Good luck for tomorrow. Sociology isnt too bad, I've done it at AS and got an A overall... you should focus more on envirinmental studies cause i have a feeling they are going to include questions about the practical skills.
Reply 3
Original post by EmilyStrange13
I haven't revised a whole lot cause I was revising more for my psycholoy exam. Me too, I really dislike practical skills to and also land resources. I know, I havent really revised the practical skills and they come up in nearly every exam. Good luck for tomorrow. Sociology isnt too bad, I've done it at AS and got an A overall... you should focus more on envirinmental studies cause i have a feeling they are going to include questions about the practical skills.

I'm dreading it D: and there aren't many resources online either :/ Yeah, I'm going to focus on Enviro tonight :frown: Goood luck too! I hate land use conflicts -.-
I'm dreading it D: and there aren't many resources online either :/ Yeah, I'm going to focus on Enviro tonight :frown: Goood luck too! I hate land use conflicts -.-

How did you find that exam? I have a strong feeling that I failed it, I'll be lucky if I get an E. I mean the topics I revised and generally liked more didnt come up.. grr!! Im most likely going to have to resist -_-
Reply 5
How did you find that exam? I have a strong feeling that I failed it, I'll be lucky if I get an E. I mean the topics I revised and generally liked more didnt come up.. grr!! Im most likely going to have to resist -_-

This exam was a resit for me after getting a C (2 marks off a B) last Jan, this exam was so much harder than past questions...
[QUOTE="Cowsgomooo;40978137"]This exam was a resit for me after getting a C (2 marks off a B) last Jan, this exam was so much harder than past questions...[/QUOTE

I found it difficult too and so did a lot of other people in my class. How is environmental studies like at A2 and is unit 2 of AS harder than unit 1? Which unit have you done better in?
Reply 7
It was so different then what I learnt in class. Totally failed it :frown: Past papers were much easier! Hopefully they bring the grade boundaries down?
I agree, this exam was not an easy one. I thought that some of the questions were poorly worded. Exams in the past were much more straight forward, although the last question was fairly straight forward and the simple definitions were easy too. Who here actually understood the question regarding coppicing? :smile:
It was so different then what I learnt in class. Totally failed it :frown: Past papers were much easier! Hopefully they bring the grade boundaries down?

I know and I think they would bring the grade boundaries down as most people found it difficult. I dont think it will make much of a difference for me though as I did really badly... the grade boundaries only ever go down 2 or 3 marks.
Original post by behindblueglass
I agree, this exam was not an easy one. I thought that some of the questions were poorly worded. Exams in the past were much more straight forward, although the last question was fairly straight forward and the simple definitions were easy too. Who here actually understood the question regarding coppicing? :smile:

I kind of understood it but I dont think what I wrote was relevant to the actual question. I found myself being too repetitive on the last question and it wasnt until after the exam that I knew what else I could have included. At the time of the exam I found it to be quite a difficult question. >.>
For the coppicing one I found myself blabbing on about how plagioclimaxes can hold a wider variety of species and how all these species seem to occupy a different niche and as time went on and the trees weren't coppiced they were able to follow on to succession, but I randomly threw down all of this rubbish in a mad blur of OMG I LEFT THIS QUESTION TILL LAST AND NOW I HAVE 5 MINUTES!..No point worrying now I still have geography and geology to get through ><
Reply 12
Just saw these messages! Are you guys nervous for thursday? I'm dreading it D: I've been ill for a while and I'm struggling to catch up on unit 2. Do you guys know any good revision sites/books?:smile:
Just saw these messages! Are you guys nervous for thursday? I'm dreading it D: I've been ill for a while and I'm struggling to catch up on unit 2. Do you guys know any good revision sites/books?:smile:

Yep, I just know I've failed >.> You should be able to catch up with the atmosphere topic fairly quickly as it isn't too difficult and there isn't alot to learn for it either. The hydrosphere topic is quite difficult so I would spend more time going through it. I don't know of any revision sites for enviromental studies although it is useful to watch a lot of videos to do with the hydrosphere. And presuming you're doing the lithosphere now, that shiuldn't be too bad.
Reply 14
How did everyone do? I got a U. I knew I had done badly but thought I'd get at least a D :frown:
It was that damn coppicing question
Original post by bubbelz
How did everyone do? I got a U. I knew I had done badly but thought I'd get at least a D :frown:
It was that damn coppicing question

I just scraped an E and I agree, that coppicing question was confusing. I found most of the paper quite confusing to be frank so I knew I would've either gotten a U or an E.
Reply 16
I just scraped an E and I agree, that coppicing question was confusing. I found most of the paper quite confusing to be frank so I knew I would've either gotten a U or an E.

Ugh it was bad. I want to know when the paper and mark scheme is released so I can know why I did so terribly.
Reply 17
Yep, I just know I've failed >.> You should be able to catch up with the atmosphere topic fairly quickly as it isn't too difficult and there isn't alot to learn for it either. The hydrosphere topic is quite difficult so I would spend more time going through it. I don't know of any revision sites for enviromental studies although it is useful to watch a lot of videos to do with the hydrosphere. And presuming you're doing the lithosphere now, that shiuldn't be too bad.

Apparently my class has only just started the hydrosphere :P haha thanks! :smile:
Reply 18
Most of my class got E's and stuff :/ I managed to get a B and I don't even know how O.o
Most of my class got E's and stuff :/ I managed to get a B and I don't even know how O.o

Everyone in my class got Us except for one person who got a C. Wow! Well done!!

Quick Reply

Latest