The Student Room Group

AQA AS Environmental Studies Unit 1: Jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EmilyStrange13
What topic does everyone find they are weakest and strongest at? For me my weakest has to be the lithosphere and my strongest has to be the atmosphere. It sucks because a 10 mark question on the atmosphere came up in january and has come up quite a lot in previous years so the question could either be on the lithosphere ugh or the hydrosphere meh. But my teacher said that it may well be a hydrosphere 10 mark question.

Samee! I'm better at the atmosphere stuff :P
and oooh :/
Reply 41
Heyyy guyss! For those who want to resit in Jan or do one of the exams in January instead of having all your exams at the end of next year! Sign this petitionhttp://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41702
It's to stop the scrapping of January exams :smile: Share with friends and get it trending on twitter too :smile:
Reply 42
What topic does everyone find they are weakest and strongest at? For me my weakest has to be the lithosphere and my strongest has to be the atmosphere. It sucks because a 10 mark question on the atmosphere came up in january and has come up quite a lot in previous years so the question could either be on the lithosphere ugh or the hydrosphere meh. But my teacher said that it may well be a hydrosphere 10 mark question.

What 10 marker questions are the possibilities for the hydrosphere/lithosphere? :/ I'm really bad at predicting these xD
Could we list possible questions? :smile:

Could they set a 10marker on water treatments?
Original post by Wizkidani
What 10 marker questions are the possibilities for the hydrosphere/lithosphere? :/ I'm really bad at predicting these xD
Could we list possible questions? :smile:

Could they set a 10marker on water treatments?

For the hydrosphere the 10 mark questions could be on:
*the different sources of water for the public supply and the advantages and disadvantagss of each if the sources - though this question came up in May of last year.
* the factors that affect the location of reservoirs
* the advantages and disadvantages of reservoirs/aquifers
* the demand and supply for water.. though im not entirely sure and maybe how to reduce the demand of water, conservation of water
And yes I think there could be a question on water treatments, specifically freshwater treatment. I think a 10 mark question on the hydrosphere wouldnt be so bad.

For the lithosphere the 10 mark questions could be on:
* the different rock processes and how rocks are formed
* the factors affecting mine viability
* the impacts that mining has on the environment (this could be a likely one as there is a lot you could say)
* what the biogeochemical cycles are and what they involve
* or the impacts that human activities have on them
I would hate for there to be a 10 mark question on the cycles, more so if they ask the impacts human activities have on them. I'd be happy with an atmosphere 10 marker but tha has come up quite a lot in previous years :frown:

Good luck for the exam!!
Well this exam was a mixture of good and not so good in my opinion. The last question was a shock but not too bad. What did everyone put for the hydrological cycle question regarding the rate of evap and precip, I just copied the existing values there because I didn't think they would be any different. for the getting rid of machinery noise I wrote baffle mounts and using less machinery and dust I wrote water sprays. What did everyone think? :smile:
Reply 45
For the hydrosphere the 10 mark questions could be on:
*the different sources of water for the public supply and the advantages and disadvantagss of each if the sources - though this question came up in May of last year.
* the factors that affect the location of reservoirs
* the advantages and disadvantages of reservoirs/aquifers
* the demand and supply for water.. though im not entirely sure and maybe how to reduce the demand of water, conservation of water
And yes I think there could be a question on water treatments, specifically freshwater treatment. I think a 10 mark question on the hydrosphere wouldnt be so bad.

For the lithosphere the 10 mark questions could be on:
* the different rock processes and how rocks are formed
* the factors affecting mine viability
* the impacts that mining has on the environment (this could be a likely one as there is a lot you could say)
* what the biogeochemical cycles are and what they involve
* or the impacts that human activities have on them
I would hate for there to be a 10 mark question on the cycles, more so if they ask the impacts human activities have on them. I'd be happy with an atmosphere 10 marker but tha has come up quite a lot in previous years :frown:

Good luck for the exam!!

I saw this too late butt :P
Reply 46
Original post by behindblueglass
Well this exam was a mixture of good and not so good in my opinion. The last question was a shock but not too bad. What did everyone put for the hydrological cycle question regarding the rate of evap and precip, I just copied the existing values there because I didn't think they would be any different. for the getting rid of machinery noise I wrote baffle mounts and using less machinery and dust I wrote water sprays. What did everyone think? :smile:

I messed up totally and I'm pretty sure I got a U and same for dust I wrote water sprays :/ I didn't get any of the calculations D:

I agree, the only questions I liked were the ones towards the end like the 10 mark question which I was quite happy with actually and the questions about the public water supply. I don't remember that question, did we have to put these values on the graph cause i do remember there being a graph about the hydrological cycle. For the machinery noise question i also put what you wrote but also the fact that they should be used at set times. By the way did you understand that question about comparing ozone depletion and global climate change to the given examples? I didnt understand it and was really confused about it. Oh and what did you put for the question on how human activities increase the water vapour in the atmosphere? Do you remember what you put for the nitrogen cycle questions and the question on the two areas that could be sampled? Sorry for so many questions but i just want to feel like i've done okay on some questions at least. In my opinion I think this exam was horrible and that there is no way I could get a c or even a d for that matter. Last May's exam was so much better as I did a mock exam in it in class and almost got a c.
I messed up totally and I'm pretty sure I got a U and same for dust I wrote water sprays :/ I didn't get any of the calculations D:

I didnt understand the calculations either and i did attempt them but my calculator just kept giving me fractions so id ovbiously went wrong somewhere. So I just guessed the percentages for the silt and clay loam.
I saw this too late butt :P

Haha sorry. But it doesnt matter anyway as the 10 mark question was an atmosphere one which came as a shock to me. I cant believe it was on feedback mechanisms and you asked aswell if the 10 mark question woulx be on the mechanisms Dx
I did this paper too! Did u guys do unit 1 too?
Reply 51
Haha sorry. But it doesnt matter anyway as the 10 mark question was an atmosphere one which came as a shock to me. I cant believe it was on feedback mechanisms and you asked aswell if the 10 mark question woulx be on the mechanisms Dx

I know hahaa xD
I only wrote a little for it though :c
Reply 52
Man! :frown: Well i guess what's done is done! We should go through A2 stuff together in september or pre-september :smile:
I agree, the only questions I liked were the ones towards the end like the 10 mark question which I was quite happy with actually and the questions about the public water supply. I don't remember that question, did we have to put these values on the graph cause i do remember there being a graph about the hydrological cycle. For the machinery noise question i also put what you wrote but also the fact that they should be used at set times. By the way did you understand that question about comparing ozone depletion and global climate change to the given examples? I didnt understand it and was really confused about it. Oh and what did you put for the question on how human activities increase the water vapour in the atmosphere? Do you remember what you put for the nitrogen cycle questions and the question on the two areas that could be sampled? Sorry for so many questions but i just want to feel like i've done okay on some questions at least. In my opinion I think this exam was horrible and that there is no way I could get a c or even a d for that matter. Last May's exam was so much better as I did a mock exam in it in class and almost got a c.

ozone depletion was to do with uv radiation, global climate change was to do with infrared radiation. human activities I put burning of fossil fuels causing global warming resulting in increased evaporation and deforestation resulting in more surface runoff and evaporation. nitrogen cycles as in drainage of fields ext I put drainage of fields prevents water logged conditions that lead to anaerobic conditions where Pseudosomonas bacteria thrive these bacteria cause denitrification resulting in increased nitrogen in the atmosphere the draining results in less nitrogen int he atmosphere and more int he soil. Legume crops are planted because in the root nodules of the plants rhizobium bacteria live these help with the nitrogen fixation and make nitrogen more available to plants. so this causes increased nitrogen in the soil and less int he atmosphere. removing harvested crops results in less decomposition and less nitrogen being released into the soil and the need for artificial fertilizers. for the two areas being sampled I put they need to be contained in sealed containers to prevent anything being lost or added eg water content and they need to be taken at the same time of day. Not sure if any of my answers are right but hey ho there you go! :smile:
Man! :frown: Well i guess what's done is done! We should go through A2 stuff together in september or pre-september :smile:

I don't think you will be seeing me on this thread in september or pre-september as I messed up quite badly yesterday. There's no way I could get enough UMS for a D to go on to the second year =( I worked quite hard for unit 2 aswell, especially for the el nino and la nina ocean current stuff.
ozone depletion was to do with uv radiation, global climate change was to do with infrared radiation. human activities I put burning of fossil fuels causing global warming resulting in increased evaporation and deforestation resulting in more surface runoff and evaporation. nitrogen cycles as in drainage of fields ext I put drainage of fields prevents water logged conditions that lead to anaerobic conditions where Pseudosomonas bacteria thrive these bacteria cause denitrification resulting in increased nitrogen in the atmosphere the draining results in less nitrogen int he atmosphere and more int he soil. Legume crops are planted because in the root nodules of the plants rhizobium bacteria live these help with the nitrogen fixation and make nitrogen more available to plants. so this causes increased nitrogen in the soil and less int he atmosphere. removing harvested crops results in less decomposition and less nitrogen being released into the soil and the need for artificial fertilizers. for the two areas being sampled I put they need to be contained in sealed containers to prevent anything being lost or added eg water content and they need to be taken at the same time of day. Not sure if any of my answers are right but hey ho there you go! :smile:

Oh so that is what that ozone depletion and global climate change question meant, i feel so stupid that i didnt understand it. >.> I put the burning of fossil fuels too!! xD and deforestation but i didnt really explain deforestation in terms of the run off :frown: I got what you wrote for the legumes questiin but on the other two questions I went off on a tanget. I didnt understand the two sampling areas question and I wrote something completely different to what you wrote. Looks like I've probably lost quite a few marks.. :frown: Stupid exam!! >.>
Original post by vamos talal
I did this paper too! Did u guys do unit 1 too?

Yep, at least that paper was nice though come to think of it there were a few questions in that exam that I think I got wrong. :frown:
Oh so that is what that ozone depletion and global climate change question meant, i feel so stupid that i didnt understand it. >.> I put the burning of fossil fuels too!! xD and deforestation but i didnt really explain deforestation in terms of the run off :frown: I got what you wrote for the legumes questiin but on the other two questions I went off on a tanget. I didnt understand the two sampling areas question and I wrote something completely different to what you wrote. Looks like I've probably lost quite a few marks.. :frown: Stupid exam!! >.>

Don't take these answers as stock, I may have ****ed up too :L
Don't take these answers as stock, I may have ****ed up too :L

I know but it's just the fact that your answers seem to make a lot more sense where as the answers i put down were poorly worded.
what did u all put for the disadvantages of open cast mining in contrast with deep hole mining?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending