The Student Room Group

Going to the same uni as girlfriend?

Just wondering how many people went to same uni as partners and if they found it worked out or didn't? Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I haven't had this experience but I'm currently in a situation where I have an offer at a university where my boyfriend is currently studying and I'm not sure whether to accept it or not. There are many pros and cons. Your closer and won't be paying a lot of money on trains and transport to see each other etc so it will be easier to maintain the relationship. It'll also be nice to be able to see your partner quite often. On the other hand I could imagine if it was me I'd become distracted by my boyfriend and I'd perhaps loose focus on my work and perhaps not make as many friends as I'd be too busy spending time with him. I think it's all about balance. Finding the time to spend with each other, finding the time to make your own friends but then most importantly of all, as you're going to university to study, finding the time to do your work. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
The most important thing is that you go to the university you want to go to, regardless of where you partner wants to go/already is. I ended up at a university I didn't want to be at and everything's gone wrong since then.
Reply 3
Original post by Cryogenic
The most important thing is that you go to the university you want to go to, regardless of where you partner wants to go/already is. I ended up at a university I didn't want to be at and everything's gone wrong since then.

This!
Reply 4
Original post by Cryogenic

Whereas I had the opposite, went the same one (both first choice uni) and everything is moving along perfectly.

Towards the question, I don't see why (unless it was a bad uni) you wouldn't want to go to the same one. Sounds like you're questioning your relationship more than the uni choice.
Reply 5
Dat can be so uncool cuz u r both goin to feel kinda restricted, n cnt enjoy de real uni lyf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, if I could make my choices again I wouldn't.

People change a lot at uni, they find themselves and this can mean bad news if you're not 100% on the uni/local area etc. I moved 300 miles away from home to uni in a four year relationship to find that after two/three months I was being cheated on. Never in a million years did I think he would cheat on me - we were talking about getting engaged that Christmas and in November I found out that he had met a girl on a night out and had been cheating on me for the best part of a month. We were living together at the time and it really messed things up - there was so much upheaval and for me moving to uni with a bf really didn't work out.
I think it depends on how long you've been together and the kind of people you are. I lived with a couple in first and second year who'd been together since Year 10, they went to the same Uni and lived together throughout and even now in final year they're still together, so it can work.
I didn't end up at the same uni/college, but my girlfriend (from last year of high school) and I are now both at uni in the same city, within 20min walk of each other. We hadn't planned it that way, it just worked out!

I love the fact we're so close! There's enough distance between us, and we're both busy enough not to be in each others way all the time, or even as much as we'd like, and we have our own friend groups in our respective accommodation/courses, but we can easily see each other a few times a week, which is really great! :biggrin:

If you're worrying about being too close and restricted, then maybe your relationship is the issue... If you'd like the extra space/freedom of being further away, then are you really gonna make a long distance relationship work? Perhaps it would be fairer on you both if you broke up before leaving?
I wouldn't choose a uni just coz she's going (ya never know whether you'll both even get in!), but if you do end up together it can be great!
Reply 9
don't **** where you eat son.... enough said...
Reply 10
I experienced this. There's nothing wrong with it as long as neither of you make the decision because of the other person and that you make time for each other as well as yourself. Try not to neglect your other half but do ensure you make friends and don't become that guy with the girlfriend!
Reply 11
I think its fine to go to the same uni but I wouldn't live together or share a flat. Just a ticking time bomb if things go sour. Other than that it sounds great to be at the same uni if you like the uni regardless. I'm 3 hours away with 60 pound return :frown:
Reply 12
I swear there was an identical thread
Yesterday night, where a girl was asking the same exact question

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Just choose the university best for you and if it happens to be the same place as your partner-
Then why not?
Bad. Don't choose a uni based on you partner, choose one for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending