The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Comparative Literature at Kent?

Hello :smile:

Was just wondering if you could give me some some information on the Comparative Lit course at Kent.

How popular (by popular I mean how many people apply) is the course, especially compared to your english & american lit course? I heard the department is a bit smaller over at comp lit?
I've applied for comparative lit at kent, but also for english & american lit. Would this put me at a disadvantage at all having applied for two courses, as now I'm worried it may make me look indecisive?

Hi Alejandro,

I'm sure you've already seen it, but here is the link to our website for the comparative literature course: http://www.kent.ac.uk/secl/complit/

I wouldn't be able to tell you how many applications, on average, we receive for the course per year, because it is always changing, especially right now in the wake of the tuition fee increases. Also, I'm not sure how much use that information would be to you as each student is making 5 applications to 5 different Universities/courses, so when Universities make offers, it is in the knowledge that not all of them will arrive here.

The number of English/American literature students is higher than comparative literature students, but our comparative literature course is part of the School of European Culture and Languages which includes our Language degrees, Philosophy and Classics as well as Comparative literature, so you won't be detached from student society or anything like that as part of the comparative literature course. Also in looking at the popularity of courses, consider the reasons people have for choosing a degree - In the humanities, degrees that students had the chance to take at A-level are, in general, more popular than 'new' options like comparative literature.

Regarding your second question; There are two different admissions officers for the two departments and they will focus on your predicted grades, experience and your personal statement. Actually, I find the University is quite complimented when a student has taken two of his/her applications to apply at the one institution. So its not something to worry about at all.

Thanks for your question, and good luck!

Jay
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending