The Student Room Group

Restarting stage 2

I'm half way through my stage 2 psychology degree. However due to some personal problems I have decided to restart stage 2 in September as my year so far has gone badly and I don't think there's any point in continuing. Has anyone else been in this situation that can advise me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I effectively failed my second year, wasn't allowed to sit my summer exams due to bad health.

I restarted my 2nd year the following Sept and have done well since.

If you use SFE they will fund a repeat year. What I am unsure on is where you will stand with finance at the moment as SFE work pro-rata so they will want the money back they have just paid you etc. I dropped out at the very end of the year so I didn't deal with any of it...

There is also your current accommodation and whether you are contracted to stay the full period (or pay the full period).

You would be best to talk this over with Uni people. the Students Union are very good as they know finance and contracts pretty well. You will also need to talk to your academic tutor or someone like it to see if its possible to restart the year and get the forms signed to say you are on interruption. I don't know if they need evidence as my Dr was called to my first summer exam and gave evidence for interruption there and then.

One thing I am finding is grad jobs seem reluctant to interview me because of my fail year, and I am continually having to send off medical evidence to show I had good reason to repeat etc. But that might just be because of the field I am in.

But yes, do contact the relevant people in your Uni, I would say a tutor first and then SU.
Reply 2
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
I effectively failed my second year, wasn't allowed to sit my summer exams due to bad health.

I restarted my 2nd year the following Sept and have done well since.

If you use SFE they will fund a repeat year. What I am unsure on is where you will stand with finance at the moment as SFE work pro-rata so they will want the money back they have just paid you etc. I dropped out at the very end of the year so I didn't deal with any of it...

There is also your current accommodation and whether you are contracted to stay the full period (or pay the full period).

You would be best to talk this over with Uni people. the Students Union are very good as they know finance and contracts pretty well. You will also need to talk to your academic tutor or someone like it to see if its possible to restart the year and get the forms signed to say you are on interruption. I don't know if they need evidence as my Dr was called to my first summer exam and gave evidence for interruption there and then.

One thing I am finding is grad jobs seem reluctant to interview me because of my fail year, and I am continually having to send off medical evidence to show I had good reason to repeat etc. But that might just be because of the field I am in.

But yes, do contact the relevant people in your Uni, I would say a tutor first and then SU.

thanks, im seeing my tutor about it all tomorrow. are you being capped at 40% for your retaking the year? i only get a SFE loan for my course fee, not for my accom which my parents pay for
Original post by Lasuil
thanks, im seeing my tutor about it all tomorrow. are you being capped at 40% for your retaking the year? i only get a SFE loan for my course fee, not for my accom which my parents pay for

We can retake and get full awarded marks with exceptional circumstances, not sure what is covered by that term though! So I had no cap for it. But rules vary Uni to Uni, its something your tutor will know and be able to advise on tomorrow :smile:

Good luck with it x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending