The Student Room Group

Student finance question?(children, accomodation)

Last term i was living at accommodation. And receiving £2200 a term.

Ive moved back in with my partner and 3 children and was wondering how would this effect my loans? Would they increase/ decrease?

Partner receives housing benefit, child tax credits and income support.

Should i inform student finance or not? I cant be bothered with the late payments all for if their going to lower my loans. I have 3 children and the more support the better.

and if anyone asks where I've been all this time. Ive bin going to stay with my partner and kids every other day, but want to move back in now.
Reply 1
Your partners benefits will be affected. As an independent student, you would have received the "living away from home" student finance support. This won't change.

You will however, need to inform student finance about your change of address.
Reply 2
It's something silly like £500 more to move away, so you won't loose that much cash. If they did find out they could terminate your contract and ask you to pay it back ASAP but in most cases they would. If they did overpay you and you had more years left they would adjust it.
Reply 3
And is there any additional support with children. The extra money would help me get insured to take my children to school. And yes i am looking for a job.

Had a job but it was too many hours and effecting my uni work too much!
Reply 4
Your partner should be receiving child tax credits. You may be able to claim the adult dependents grant. You may get some housing benefit and there's the 25% council tax discount for being a full time student.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Your partner should be receiving child tax credits. You may be able to claim the adult dependents grant. You may get some housing benefit and there's the 25% council tax discount for being a full time student.

I tried for the parents learning allowance but they was asking for child tax credits letter with my name on it ? When theres only the mothers name on them.

I sent them birth certificates but they sent it back.

It was a extra £1500 a year they would of given me.
Reply 6
Original post by vkz4
I tried for the parents learning allowance but they was asking for child tax credits letter with my name on it ? When theres only the mothers name on them.

I sent them birth certificates but they sent it back.

It was a extra £1500 a year they would of given me.

Why isn't your name on the letter? As far as student finance are concerned, you're not together and therefore, not entitled to the parents learning allowance.
Reply 7
Why isn't your name on the letter? As far as student finance are concerned, you're not together and therefore, not entitled to the parents learning allowance.

My names on the birth certificates.

But not on the child tax credits. Because my partner is claiming. I cant because iam in education.
Reply 8
Original post by vkz4
My names on the birth certificates.

But not on the child tax credits. Because my partner is claiming. I cant because iam in education.

You can claim if you're in education. And it's fraudulent to make a single claim when you're a couple.
Reply 9
You can claim if you're in education. And it's fraudulent to make a single claim when you're a couple.

Hmm we have someone coming over from jobcentre too explain everything to us about claiming. Not sure how it works myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending