The Student Room Group

Midwifery? Hard? Lots of work?

Last year at school and going to college next year, my dream is to be a midwife whats the level 3 health and social care course like etc..
Posted from TSR Mobile
My ex-housemate (who I'm still friends with) is currently training to become a midwife. The work is extremely rewarding from what I've heard (for example you get given a smaller number of patients who you look after but for a few months at a time), and I know that in Australia at least, there is gonna be a high demand for midwives VERY soon due to the high number of older midwives (who are obviously going to retire sooner than nurses from other areas). She says she enjoys studying for it and can't wait to be one :smile: Hope that helps xx
Also not sure what your course will be like, but if it's anything like my friend's you'll get given lots of prac (practical) assignments to do, plus with the occasional exam but most of the questions are multiple choice so if you study you'll be right :smile: x
Reply 3
It depends where you chose to study! It is hard, you need to be sure it is what you want to do! It is rewarding, but it has so far been an emotional experience for me, with loads of amazing moments I have felt on top of the world, but I've also gone home crying. Don't want to put you off but like many midwives have said to me anyone who doesn't say its hard is lieing, but you can do it! Check out smnet lots of stuff on there! Also feel free to message me xxx
Reply 4
Also my exams have not been multiple choice and I am a 1st year the nurses in 1st year had multiple choice but for example for our biology exam we had a 2 hour exam with 3 essay questions to answer, you have oral exams, osces, practice assessment have certain things you have to acheive by certain times, and have all your competencies to sign off, essays and lots of reflections are involved to become a reflective practitioner. It's hard but as they say nothing worth having in life is easy. You can be working full time on placement with essays due in and sometimes exams when u go back in uni after the placement so at times it can feel like you are working full time and doing a degree in your spare time i.e the essaysxx
I am really hoping to do a degree in Midwifery when I go to university. I am currently about to go into the second year of college studying my A Levels in: Human Biology, Sociology, Health and Social Care and English Language and Literature. I find Human Biology really hard - I got a D in the January exam which I retook this summer but I know overall at the end of next year I will probably come out with a D.
The competition for Midwifery I understand is sooo hard to get in!
I was wondering if you could give me any advice about how I could go about applying for Midwifery at university?
The Universities I am thinking of so far are: Oxford Brookes, Manchester and Chester.
Any help or advice and I would be sooo grateful! :smile: Thank you!!
Reply 6
I completed the level 3 health and social care, I went on to nursing but do have a friend who went from that straight to midwifery. As far as I can remember, there's around 18 units to complete with essays and they are all relevant and useful to go onto nursing/midwifery.
I would think about what you find best; if you find exams easier and would benefit more from exam grades then I would recommended A levels. However if you are good at the written work and are prepared to work hard in order to get the grades for midwifery then the level 3 is more suited to you.

It's a great profession, but hard work all the same. It can be competitive depending where you apply, but I know many student midwives and can promise you that it is well worth the hard work!
Reply 7
To the above poster, I would recommend getting some voluntary experience or a job in the health care sector if you haven't already, depending on your age of course.

It's not a necessity, they are very good at picking up good points from other careers, such as beauticians and like when different and transferable skills are discussed. It shows you are versatile and can use experience from else where. But it can benefit you, not only does it ensure that you definitely are prepared for it but it shows from the start that you have some form of experience I.e on your personal statement.

Look at voluntary work in maternity wards, specifically breast feeding support etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending