The Student Room Group

Canadian high school student looking into UK med schools

Hello, I am a Canadian high school student, resident of Malton with dual citizenship for both the United States and Canada. I'm looking to applying to med schools in the UK. I am currently in Grade 11.

Does anyone have any idea about Canadian to UK mark conversions? And what marks are needed for medical school? I understand that I have to write a personal statement and take a standarized exam such as the BMAT or UKMAT.

My marks are as follows:
-94 percent in Grade 11 Math
-96 percent in Grade 11 Chemistry
-98 percent in Grade 12 French
-100 percent in Grade 11 flexography
-A projected 95 percent in Grade 11 English
-A projected 98 percent in Grade 11 Physics
-A projected 98 percent in Grade 11 Biology
-A projected 100 percenti n Grade 11 Accounting

My extra-curriculars are as following:
-Next year's elected Student Council President, this year's Student Council Vice President
-4th year as a member of a club dedicated to hopeful doctors and health awareness
-Over 1000 volunteer hours from an aggregate of hospitals, medical clinics, multicultural councils and disease associations
-Royal Conservatory of Music piano (Grade 8)
-Fluent in American Sign Language
-Published author of a fiction novel

I'd love to hear all and any thoughts, suggestions and advice. Thank you all so much, honestly.
Reply 1
Wouldnt you have to study A-levels first? I dont know the Canadian equivalent of A-levels but I think you would do that first then go onto university... How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by butterbar
Does anyone have any idea about Canadian to UK mark conversions? And what marks are needed for medical school? I understand that I have to write a personal statement and take a standarized exam such as the BMAT or UKMAT.

My marks are as follows:
-94 percent in Grade 11 Math
-96 percent in Grade 11 Chemistry
-98 percent in Grade 12 French
-100 percent in Grade 11 flexography
-A projected 95 percent in Grade 11 English
-A projected 98 percent in Grade 11 Physics
-A projected 98 percent in Grade 11 Biology
-A projected 100 percenti n Grade 11 Accounting

My extra-curriculars are as following:
-Next year's elected Student Council President, this year's Student Council Vice President
-4th year as a member of a club dedicated to hopeful doctors and health awareness
-Over 1000 volunteer hours from an aggregate of hospitals, medical clinics, multicultural councils and disease associations
-Royal Conservatory of Music piano (Grade 8)
-Fluent in American Sign Language
-Published author of a fiction novel

I'd love to hear all and any thoughts, suggestions and advice. Thank you all so much, honestly.

Your grade 11 marks are irrelevant.

For Ontario applicants, you need at least five 4U (Grade 12 university) courses, with a sixth course at the 4U or 4M (university/college mixed) level. The average depends on the institution, but it ranges from 85% to 90% for most institutions.

There is no conversion from Canadian grades to the UK A levels. They are completely different scehemes and are thus not compatible. When you apply for university in the UK through UCAS, you write in your 4U grades (achieved or predicted) with a percentage grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Skeppy
Wouldnt you have to study A-levels first? I dont know the Canadian equivalent of A-levels but I think you would do that first then go onto university... How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 16, turning 17 this year. I'm a Grade 11 - that's our second last year of study. And, we don't have A-Levels in Canada. I'm not sure about having to do A-levels as a Canadian. Thanks for your reply, though!
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the clarification! As for predicted marks, is it the Grade 11 teachers who predict the marks or is it the Grade 12 teachers?
Reply 5
Thank you so much for the clarification! As for predicted marks, is it the Grade 11 teachers who predict the marks or is it the Grade 12 teachers?

It will be your grade 12 teachers next year. Do really well on your 4U courses because they count for a lot. They're a real pain in the rear though. Get ready for a lot of essays :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by jco19
It will be your grade 12 teachers next year. Do really well on your 4U courses because they count for a lot. They're a real pain in the rear though. Get ready for a lot of essays :tongue:

Thanks for the advice! Just a question about that though - we have four courses per a semester and two semesters per a year. So, I will only have four of my Grade 12 teachers by October 15th. Will the other four courses' predicted marks still be included? How will those teachers be able to predict my marks? Will they only be able to go by my previous transcripts?
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice! Just a question about that though - we have four courses per a semester and two semesters per a year. So, I will only have four of my Grade 12 teachers by October 15th. Will the other four courses' predicted marks still be included? How will those teachers be able to predict my marks? Will they only be able to go by my previous transcripts?

Yes, that's fine, you can include the predictions for those four courses. However, you might want to look into taking some 4U courses this summer. There's an online school called Virtual High School Ontario (it's government accredited) that offers 4U courses, though they're quite pricey, around $499 per course. There's also good ol' fashioned summer school as well.

The teachers predict your marks based on your overall performance in the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending