The Student Room Group

Private student finance

Just wanted to knw if there are any private students finance aside SFE..(since i dont think i qualify for dat)..pls am in desperate need of an answer.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by wanluv
Just wanted to knw if there are any private students finance aside SFE..(since i dont think i qualify for dat)..pls am in desperate need of an answer.
Posted from TSR Mobile

not in this country for undergraduates.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
not in this country for undergraduates.

So dat means its basically SFE or u pay wid ur own money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by wanluv
So dat means its basically SFE or u pay wid ur own money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, why don't you think you can get it? Are you a foriegn student?
Reply 4
Original post by james22
Yes, why don't you think you can get it? Are you a foriegn student?

No am not....i got into de country wid an ILE n av got a british passport now but de thing is i havnt been in the country for 3years....do u get it nw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
No, you need three years residency, you need to wait until you have that to be fully eligible. There are other ways, like the migrant worker/child of a migrant worker route, but you'd really need to speak to SF about that.
Reply 6
Original post by Kerans
No, you need three years residency, you need to wait until you have that to be fully eligible. There are other ways, like the migrant worker/child of a migrant worker route, but you'd really need to speak to SF about that.

Ok....can i apply for de student finance after a year in my course @ uni...as i wil be eligible by then..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by wanluv
Ok....can i apply for de student finance after a year in my course @ uni...as i wil be eligible by then..

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, you need to have been here for 3 years from 1st september of the year your course starts and try typing in proper english. maybe you should take a gap year.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
no, you need to have been here for 3 years from 1st september of the year your course starts and try typing in proper english. maybe you should take a gap year.

the thing is I don't want to take a gap year and I will only be a few days away from that 3years as at the 1 September when de course may probably start....so I was thinking of applying after my course starts and my 3years is up and then pay for some parts of the fees I would need to pay. heard u can still apply even after your course starts.
Reply 9
Original post by wanluv
the thing is I don't want to take a gap year and I will only be a few days away from that 3years as at the 1 September when de course may probably start....so I was thinking of applying after my course starts and my 3years is up and then pay for some parts of the fees I would need to pay. heard u can still apply even after your course starts.

Most courses start at the end of September or start of October. You're better off contacting Student Finanance directly about your situation. Bare in mind even if you get the tuition fee loan, it doesn't necessary mean you'll get a maintenance loan i.e. money to live off and pay for food, accommodation, etc.
Reply 10
Start of the academic year for autumn starters is September 1st, so the advice still stands, you won't get finance for the course unless you hold off for a year, or there's some other bracket you fit into.
Reply 11
Original post by Kerans
Start of the academic year for autumn starters is September 1st, so the advice still stands, you won't get finance for the course unless you hold off for a year, or there's some other bracket you fit into.

Ok..then i think am going to fund for my first year then apply for the next year, hope thats possible..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
No, it doesn't work like that, you need 3 years residency at the start of the course. If you're ineligible initially, you're ineligible in your second and third years as well.
Reply 13
Original post by Kerans
No, it doesn't work like that, you need 3 years residency at the start of the course. If you're ineligible initially, you're ineligible in your second and third years as well.

Thought it was 3yrs by de time of your application for de finance, because i would be 8days less dan 3yrs by the time my course wud probably start..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by wanluv
Thought it was @ de tym of ur application for de finance

Posted from TSR Mobile

LEARN TO SPELL.
(Sorry)
Reply 15
Original post by wanluv
Thought it was @ de tym of ur application for de finance

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. It's three years before the start date of your course. Section 1 of this document:
http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media/391986/eligible.pdf

To be eligible you must normally live in the UK, by which we mean you must:
be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ in the UK (under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971);
be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England;
have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before starting the course - and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education. Students who are settled in the UK may also be eligible if they have exercised a right of residence in the European Economic Area (EEA or Switzerland before returning to the UK to study).

You may also be eligible if you hold one of the following residency statuses:
Refugee;
Humanitarian Protection (HP) (must be as the result of a failed application for asylum);
Migrant Worker;
Child of a Swiss national;
EU national;
Child of Turkish Worker.
Reply 16
Some universities have bursaries or scholarships for specific courses, but these rarely provide full funding. They're usually around the £500-£1000 a year mark. Might be worth looking at if you have a particular course in mind.
Reply 17
Original post by RibenaRockstar
LEARN TO SPELL.
(Sorry)

Its fine, am used to shorthand, but did most of correction now..:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending