The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

English Literature: are there any Creative Writing modules?

Hello all,

I have a bit of a problem. I was going to apply to Edinburgh Uni for English Lit and Religious Studies/English Lit as my first choice. However, a few days ago I saw the English Lit/Creative Writing programme that Dundee offers, and it seemed to be a much better option. I want to become a comics writer, so I would definitely need Creative Writing.

The main issue is that I have no idea if Dundee is any good for studying Literature and Writing. I liked its course structure more than that of Edinburgh, but Edinburgh is, in general, considered to be a better university. Plus, it has awesome Astronomy and Cosmology lectures open to all, and I'd love to take part in them.

So, my question is, how much creative writing is there in Edinburgh if you're studying Literature? And are there any modules on comics, or do they only teach about 'real literature'?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Yes, there are some creative writing modules. There are creative writing courses in prose and poetry, and a course in writing for theatre. As you can imagine, these courses are all extremely popular and so not everyone is guaranteed a place. A single honours student would typically take four courses per year (two core courses and two option courses - the creative writing courses are all option courses), so the creative writing would make up one of your four courses, to give you some idea of the weighting. I have a feeling that there are some rules surrounding the creative writing courses - you may only be able to take one or something like that, but it's not my area of interest at all so I didn't really pay attention when this was explained to us and I couldn't see any information from skimming the handbook.

I don't believe there is any option to study graphic novels or comics at all, although some honours options do include some films. Hope that helps!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Thank you so much! It looks like I'll have to make Dundee my first choice, but from what I've heard, it's a good university.

Quick Reply

Latest